Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Proof of Our Blue Blood Status

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by murphree_hall, May 7, 2022.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was reacting to your statement that Billy should have moved on after year 18. I probably misinterpreted it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Just felt like if Billy was gonna leave, he shoulda left after the final four appearance. That's all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wdcurtis4

wdcurtis4 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From 2000-2014 Florida was not just a "Blue Blood", they were the by most measures, at least a Top 3 Program in all of College Basketball, and some/many would say Florida was THE #1 Team over the given time period.

After losing a Hall of Fame Coach, following it up with a mediocre hire, and making 4 of 6 possible Tournaments, with one Elite Eight is not Blue Blood Status. But it is far from falling to national irrelevance.

Let's only consider the Top 100 Programs in the Country Relevant. Florida's tournament success Post Billy D certainly puts it in the top 30 Programs Nationwide. This was not a meltdown of Epic Proportions. One could almost say it was expected in trying to follow a legend.

Let's remember, Mike White was never even fired, for "failing" at his job. He was smart- and left town-to get paid again.

One man's five year run of mediocrity-is actually an overwhelming statistical probability.

Good to see you cautiously becoming more bullish on Todd Golden.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    When u go to the dance as many times as MW you didn’t fail at the job . That was a bs post .

5. wdcurtis4

wdcurtis4 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Read my lips- I didn't say he failed at the job.

6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    He failed at the job. That’s why he’s gone. As we already are seeing, you can bring top talent to Gainesville, then you have to coach them. White didn’t coach them plus Golden looks like he can bring in better talent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think you are being hyperbolic on your assessment of White as a failure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    One good season in 7 years with Billy’s players, and he mismanaged that team. Total chaos on offense. Misuse of players. Way too many transfers out of the program. No player development to speak of. I could go on. About the only argument that can be made on White’s behalf is that he made the NCAA tournament 4 times and would have made it a fifth if that event wasn’t cancelled. However, he only made it into the 2nd week once and that was courtesy of miracles from Chiozza and Barry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    #1 rule of coaching success: Do not immediately follow a legendary coach at the school in question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    He obviously didn't keep us up to the level of the prior administration, but his primary failure was just the comparison to that regime. SEC titles and advancing past the round of 16 in the tourney were as rare as hen's teeth at UF until BD showed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s true, but not many fans should be satisfied with settling in as a top-40 team.

12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Same thing goes for football. We were not a national factor before Spurrier. No one wants to go back to the pre-Spurrier days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    A lot of qualifiers inserted there. If it’s Billy’s players that made the successful season you are pointing towards, then you are basically saying coaching does not matter, which then also implies that Billy D wasn’t great. It’s a slippery slope.

14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Mike White lucked into the Elite 8 with that team. My guess is that Billy would have been in the Final 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Somebody has to take the job

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Right now, I agree with tampajack Murph. Emphasis on "right now". The season must be played. What I think I am seeing is an upgrade in talent level. I will reserve judgement on "coaching" pending Goldens results after year 1, but right now, I'm seeing tampa as being more "correct".

And for the record I am not trashing CMW, he brought success albeit "low-level". I like CMW and was dissapointed he could do no better than win at a 65% clip and 2nd round exit. That does not make Gator fans whom wanted to see better results as being "bad fans".

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    He used the term “failure” and I said he is being hyperbolic (exaggerating). While I respect your opinion that you stated above, it’s almost as if you are talking about something completely different from the failure/hyperbole comment I made.

18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe compared to Billy Donovan? Or disappointing considering where the fans expectations were, of our team as a program, after several great years of Billy D.. The inconsistency was too much for an established basketball program by the time Billy left us for the NBA.

The fact that other teams started beating us on a regular basis was hard to watch, even though we were widely considered the first or second best basketball team in the conference during Billy's time here. And MW seemed to dull that Gator basketball team's edge, an edge that all of Billy's teams seemed to have.

That Gator basketball prestige dropped like a rock compared to Auburn... LSU... Bama... Tennessee.. and Kentucky. All of whose teams seemed to get better coaches... better players... better results than we did with MW...

So, relative to the other teams in the SEC? Yeah MW was a huge disappointment.

He seemed to be a nice guy with a clean program, but he didn't have the "it" factor as a coach to take us to the top tier of teams, even in our own conference, let alone of the national stage. In the end his teams never got back to that top tier of the SEC basketball programs. And the Gators in basketball were looked at as an afterthought on all the fan sites... a shell of our former selves.

Let's hope we have the right coaching change. I hope so.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2