Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Projecting the Gator's Spring Depth Chart: Offense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by WhattaGator, Jan 24, 2020.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I'm worried about the offensive line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It really looks like at least two RFR/FR are going to have to give high quality output in order for a significant improvement on OL.

Not exactly the situation one would draw up for success. White developing quickly and solidifying a guard spot early in spring would be comforting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What are the attributes of the incoming WR’s and those who red-shirted last season?

for OLine: I’m curious to see the red-shirts compete to get into the mix. A year in the system, a year with Savage: are they ready to grab a starting role? The line should now have some depth. Last year we did well in pass protection, wonder if some of the red-shirt can improve our run-blocking capability?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    We'll be better than last year - by a long shot - but still behind the 2018 OL by quite a bit I think.

If we get the MSU transfer, I think we'll be solid on the OL and have a bunch of young players developing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    I do believe the OL will be much better this year - 5 guys back with starting experience and the rFR will be a year older/stronger. I read Tarquin has put on 20+#, and I believe Harrod has also put on a bunch of muscle. We'll have 15 OL for Spring Practice...unheard of numbers recently until this year.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I look back at what Hevesy did with UF's O line from '05 to '06 and I'm not worried at all. UF signed three OL in the '05 class, every one of them three star prospects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I wouldn't count on the incoming WRs to do much this coming season. Of the redshirt freshmen, Ja'Markis Weston could make an immediate impact. He's one of the biggest, fastest and strongest receivers on the team and could play the same kind of role that Jefferson and Cleveland did this past season. Dionte Marks was a very good high school player and similarly underrated as Weston. He's fast and has a bit of wiggle. Probably a good guy to catch screen passes or in the middle of the field. Whitemore has great size, adequate speed and incredible versatility. He played QB, WR, CB and safety in high school. Was also the leading scorer on the hoops team. I expect him to end up on defense at safety or Star. Could even play OLB. Very smart kid who turned down Duke, Yale and West Point to come to UF. Really rooting for Trent since he's a fourth generation Gator. His mom played for Mary Wise in the early nineties.

• Informative Informative x 6
  9. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Dante Lang is projected as the #4 TE but I believe he has been moved to DE, his natural position. He could legitimately contribute at both DE positions. Way too good an athlete to be sitting, especially given how many DL get shuttled in and out of games compared to TEs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    whittemore isnt gonna play Star imo. He will be a solid wr for us imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Is whittemore our version of Edelman?

12. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential for a solid OL - misgivings about Delance as a starter at tackle not withstanding - not bashing the kid personally, but he did not play well last season. I do feel confident about the WRs developing into a very solid group, particularly with the stuff we're hearing about the RFR and the incoming FR class. If Lingard is cleared to play, and the OL shows "normal" improvement, we could field a very powerful, very dynamic offense. The incoming class on defense will be key in shoring up safety play in particular. The DL should be absolutely nasty by the time we get to the heart of schedule - particularly with the infusion of new talent, especially with Cox (at LB?).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Hopefully with better hands?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    ...year of the Gator.:cool:

Go Gators!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Different skill set. Probably will look more like Lou Murphy or Riley Cooper in this O. More outside and intermediate/deep than middle and underneath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We basically need a young OL to step up and take a guard or tackle spot. That's a much better position than we were in last year and I'm confident we'll see someone emerge based on the numbers and quality of players competing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Anybody but Delance

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I hope that 2020 is the year of the Gator Raid! 0003604_chris-leak-of-the-gators.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't see many similarities. Whittemore is a lot taller.

20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I wouldn't bet against him. He had a nagging knee or ankle injury the entire season. Let's see what Hevesy can do with him in the spring.

• Friendly Friendly x 1