Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Press break

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Feb 26, 2020.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    That was some of the most composed passing I've seen in a press break in a while. They were full-court pressing the last 10 minutes of the game, and we had what - maybe 1-2 turnovers? Meanwhile we had 2 alleyoops to Scottie alone

AN was marvelous, so was everyone else. It was smart to go small and stay small to break the zone. Think that's why we didn't see Payne for that entire stretch.

So patient, made the right plays. That bodes well going forward, because remember how rattled we could get when pressed earlier in the season

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  2. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    I think AN is marvelous almost every night. He sees the court so well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    This, like a lot of what we are doing, is looking way better than it did earlier. No rushing (maybe two passes where we were a little too lackadaisical - one was Scottie don’t remember the other), anticipation, good awareness by the guys looking for the outlet, even a couple wide open threes. There was a lot to like about this game and our execution against the press was a big one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    amazing court vision and so composed. We lament his pace but pace does come with risks at times

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    AN didn’t have a TO tonight, and I think as a team we only had 4. LSU’s defense was horrific, even their press. But we were still more competent than we had been.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    that's incredible given how much he handled the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    yes, despite what we sometimes read here, AN is a very good pg and is invaluable to this team all over the court.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    We normally struggle so much against the press, but did amazing tonight.

Most of all. They TESTED their passing lanes most of the night rather than throwing it and going “hope this works.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree big time. AN has been pounding the ball on the perimeter way too much all through the season. AN did not pound the ball on the perimeter at all tonight, and we finally got to see what happens when we spread the floor and AN gives it up early. What we saw was that we had 4 really good passers (AN, KJ, Blackshear and Lewis) all moving the ball around and getting good shots. Mann was the only player tonight who took some ill-advised shots. My question is where has this been during the first 27 games? We looked like we could beat anyone tonight, and KJ and Lewis both looked like NBA players. I'm not going to blame AN because it's the coaches responsibility to get the team to play like this. Hopefully, we can consistently play like this on offense the rest of the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't disagree that he pounds the perimeter and plays with his back to the basket quite often - that still doesn't negate the fact that he makes marvelous plays every night.

And I'm not going to argue PG's with you, because I believe it was you who was saying since his freshman year Chiozza was the best guy on the floor. I mean this as a compliment.

11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    KJ was very sound against the press also, but I have to say that was also the best passing game in the half court that I've ever seen from him. He had a number of good-to-excellent passes in the half court sets. Maybe his extra aggressiveness in looking for his shot is helping his passing too - which I've never been impressed with in the past.

Mann shot more bricks than I've seen in a while from him. I lean toward giving him a fairly green light to create his own offense off step-backs, floaters and such (more-so than anyone else on the team), but it wouldn't last long with more brick displays like that. Those shots weren't going in & out; they were clanging :eek::cool:

Locke seemed more hesitant to let the catch-and-shoot threes fly than he has in a while. Probably a hangover from the UK game. LSU generally had someone stay with him, but he had some chances that I thought he would have shot before UK.

Glover was sound with a nice alley-oop and the drive to the hoop that should have been an "and-one!"

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    gotta understand the game you’re in. We could get a good shot on every possession, no need for step backs, floaters or anything remotely forced. 3 decent passes and there was a layup or open three there to be had. Overall, outside of a few shots the team recognized it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, the Scottie issue was he got the pass in the backcourt and stood there holding the ball waiting for someone to pass it to, even when no one was pressing him. Mike was right behind him, motioning and telling to get across the midcourt line before his ten seconds was up. He doesn't have much confidence in his ballhandling skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Nembhard is really talented. What happened last night was that Johnson and Lewis flowered when given the opportunity to play basketball in an offense where the ball moved as rapidly as it did last night. With the ball moving the way it did, we had 17 assists with Nembhard getting only 4 of them. And yet, I thought that was Nembhard’s best game of the year. Last night’s game showed us that the Gators have been underachieving throughout the season. It’s not that these guys are so young IMO, it’s that they haven’t been given the opportunity to display their talent.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Nah, LSU didn't play any defense, that's why they were really able to display their talent. EJ Montgomery moved his feet more in the second half of Saturday's game against KJ on defense than an LSU player did all of last night.

I loved our effort and efficiency but LSU isn't playing with any effort on that end of the floor. The numbers point that out. This is their 3rd time in 7 games allowing the opponent to shoot 50% or better (Vandy shot almost 60%). And they let UK shoot almost 48% (UK shot almost 75% in the 2nd half). That's pathetic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    My issue with out press break has always been we don't capitalize on it. We break the press and then slow the ball back down. Teams are going to keep pressing us until we make them pay for the man advantage down on the offensive end. We did this once last night, but most of the time we were content to not try and score with a man advantage down court.

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s certainly part of it, but do you think that against a better defense we need to have Nembhard pounding the ball into the floor at the top of the key?

18. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    No, I hope we move the ball more moving forward but I expect that to be tougher, starting on Saturday afternoon. I don't think UT is going to allow Scottie to drive baseline multiple times and allow him to make 1 pass to an open 3pt shooter with nobody rotating over to that shooter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Scottie is lightening quick though and has found his niche, making that baseline cut. I agree UT will try, but perhaps easier said than done

• Like Like x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I think the opportunity was always there, but they finally capitalized on it last night.