Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

President Sasse

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by lagorcegator, May 5, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its all relative. If you saw the post above yours about Alachua County's poverty level, it indicates that even if units are more affordable than the rest of the State, its still not affordable to low income Alachua County residents.

Additionally, UF certainly hasn't driven the building of affordable rentals. The high-rise apartment boom they've driven near campus has created the most expensive housing area in the entire County, and its pushed lower income residents further out away from the University where they aren't building new housing at all, affordable or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'd put my bottom dollar that is exactly how it is working at certain Universities.

3. lagorcegator

lagorcegator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Post was not intended to be about affordable housing,however as usual it was hijacked

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Awesome editorial in the WSJ. We have a winner at UF - hope we keep him for a long time

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. lagorcegator

lagorcegator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Pls link to the WSJ piece so that it can be viewed by all in this site
    GO GATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I agree with your statement that it isn't UF's role to work to provide affordable housing in Alachua County. However, it IS in their best interest to have their workforce be able to find housing they can afford. My company has lost at 2 individuals recently that moved home to another part of the State because they couldn't locate housing they could afford on their wages.

Also, you are misinformed about UF's activity in the RE market in G'ville in the last decade. They have been the primary driver of the redevelopment of the University Ave and SW 2nd Avenue corridors. They have bought up large chunks of RE in those areas and then made deals with private developers to create high-rise style housing with (very expensive) retail on the ground floor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

DONE

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But they really don’t need to. They can just use the 100 or 200 million they’re taking in every year to pay for their own damn roster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.