Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

President Sasse

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by lagorcegator, May 5, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yep, it’s tough all over. My girlfriend’s son got his engineering degree and started working a couple of years ago. He can barely afford a starter house. Kids that have regular jobs are up against it pretty hard these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Buy number one classes is the top answer on the board.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And of course we know that's not how it works lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But it does and it will be legal soon. This chirade is insulting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe....I doubt its "soon" though. And fyi, that NIL charade will still be fully in play cause its not going away. And UF isn't giving a dime to the UAA for paying players, nor should they.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    S
    What in the name of God are you babbling about?!?! Totally clueless nonsense.

The students that perhaps study the things you mention are doing that as part of their course work--not acting as agents for UF as a for profit real estate development company--which it is not

While UF is not a real estate development company, it does sometimes acquire limited properties for various uses outside of the original campus to further UF's needs. UF most certainly has no obligation or responsibility--or mission from the state- to meddle in the Gainesville real estate market or to act as a for profit developer therein, nor does it have authority to provide affordable housing to Alachua County. It's only mission re: housing is to provide it to students. Private developers do the rest.

You seem to totally misunderstand the difference between private development and UF's role as a land grant university.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    The place where we must not go does not necessarily agree with the premise of this thread. I went there once and arrived safely back here without damage.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    It was a disappointing hire for a university as prestigious as UF. I'm not close enough to things to judge what he's done so far.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2024
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The UAA has plenty to float their own boat as soon as it’s legal.. Nil is here to stay but locking it to a team will stem all this portal crap.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  10. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do I really need to answer that? Buy classes. Buy championships.

11. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Reminded me of a recent story about AZ suing Realpage for landlord price fixing. I think the number was a 78% increase in rent in the Phoenix area in just the past few years. The crap they are pulling would make the mafia jealous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

The selection of Sasse was a surprise to me at the time but it looks like a pretty inspired choice right now. Kudos to him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Football thread? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Then I'm afraid you don't know how NIL is structured or works.....and I doubt many college presidents are going to divert academic funds into NIL lol

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. I am surprised this thread has remained in the football section and has not been moved to “Too Hot”. I will say that the business and cultural alignment among Ben Sasse, Scott Stricklin, Billy Napier, the boosters, and now NIL has been good for Florida football.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I read Sasse's book "Them" in 2019.
    While yes he was a Republican senator from Nebraska, the book is not political. (not much anyway.)
    It is thoughtful and compassionate and talks a lot about the root cause of political discord in our country. (Loneliness.)

IF anyone wants to know more about this amazing man, please read it.
    While I'm conservative, my father, who "has never voted for a Republican president" as he puts it, absolutely loved the book and recommended it to others.

I was so excited when Sasse became UF President, but he has exceeded even my high expectations.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Look at the post above this one. Read this book to find out more about this man.
    It's a great one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    One word... fentanyl. It's everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    The positive attention UF is receiving because of the serious and appropriate response to recent activities across the country is only good for everything associated with our school, including our sports teams. The positive comments are coming from many disparate voices. I have even seen Dawgs, Vols and Noles saying "Go Gators" in the comments below Friday's editorial by President Sasse. I am not sure Miami grads read responsible publications so I haven't noted their views. I am hopeful students there see that contentious issues can be confronted without impermissible rhetoric or behavior. I like the emphasis on merely enforcing already-agreed-upon codes in the student and faculty handbook.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.