Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Preseason number 16

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Jan 13, 2021.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    According to espn. Read the blurb on Florida last paragraph. Grantham’s defense gave up more passing TD’s than ALL but one team.

The 2021 Way-Too-Early college football top 25

“16. Florida Gators

2020 record: 8-4 (8-2 SEC)
    Projected returning starters: five offense, seven defense, one special teams

Projected losses: QB Kyle Trask*, TE Kyle Pitts*, WR Kadarius Toney*, WR Trevon Grimes*, C Brett Heggie*, OT Stone Forsythe*, LB Ventrell Miller, S Brad Stewart Jr., DL Kyree Campbell*, CB Marco Wilson*, K Evan McPherson*

Key additions: RB Demarkcus Bowman, DB Ethan Pouncey, OL Jaelin Humphries, CB Jason Marshall, QB Carlos Del Rio, S Corey Collier, DE Jeremiah Williams, DE Tyreak Sapp

Outlook: Florida's breakthrough season under coach Dan Mullen ended with a big flop, as the Gators lost their last three games, including a 55-20 rout against Oklahoma in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. Most of Florida's offensive firepower is departing, including Heisman Trophy finalist Trask. Sophomore Emory Jones looks like the quarterback of the future, and the Gators will have to identify reliable pass-catchers with Pitts, Grimes and Toney departing.

The defense also will need a major face-lift after it was gutted for 144 points and more than 1,700 yards of offense in those three late losses. The Gators allowed 28 touchdown passes this season, which ranked next to last among FBS teams. They gave up 30.8 points per game, their most since surrendering 41.2 per contest in six games in 1917. Todd Grantham, one of the highest-paid defensive coordinators in the FBS, seems to be on thin ice. Secondary coaches Ron English and Torrian Gray have already been fired.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Didn't realize Jaelin Humphries plays in the offensive line. But what do I know. I could probably write that ESPN piece in 10 minutes in my phone, since I don't have to do any research.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Our offensive line will be better just because of Emory and Bowman. I really hope our WRs take a step up and get better.

Our defense should be better. I feel with all the criticism they have received, they will be working harder all offseason, than any other group.

15-0

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can understand being slightly out of top 10 but 16 seems low.

Could happen that way. But I feel our WRs will be a strength, TEs, Shorter, Copeland should be better. CDM has a few really tall receivers he can do some things with if EJ gets them the ball. Our pass blocking seemed good but KT was really good at reading and getting the ball out. A slot receiver should develop. We will be in season four so... I don't believe our offense will be as good but if the D does improve that means a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator10

gator10 Junior

Nov 23, 2015
    About right. We have a lot of holes.

7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I’m jiggy wit it. If we win all of our games, we’ll win the NC. Period, end of story. Doesn’t matter what you’re ranked preseason if you’re in the SEC. If Vandy runs the table, they will win the NC. That said, I think it’s about right to be #16 after losing all that talent. The team did not look impressive against OU with all those guys sitting out.

8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but you don't wag your finger at big Todd without consequences.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If we have a compete off season then I think we play better than most of the prognosticators think we will. We could be a top 10 team if we get a couple more pieces in place.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I believe Jones will be a great QB but I think he could use about 10 more pounds of muscle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    AR needs to win the job. Yep, I’m already calling for the backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    We could have literally NFL players all over the defense but if Grantham keeps playing that prevent zone defense crap it won't matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Warchant is already posting the one analyst ranking FSU in the top 25 (at 25 no less) for their big "Were back campaign"... coincidently the same ass clown does NOT have UF in his top 25.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    We were elite in one area last year, passing, and all of the key pieces in that area are gone. There's too little proven talent to justify a top 10 ranking yet. And that's fine, hopefully it develops as we hope and the team is better than projected.

15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We finished outside the top 10 this year with one of the best offenses ever. That offense is sure to regress big time. Even if it drops down to merely good, that’s a big drop.

The defense needs to be significantly better to sniff the top 10. If it’s anywhere close to this season we will finish .500 at best

I’ll be an optimist and say the D improves big time, but there is no way a neutral observer can believe that. We lose a lot of experience and retain the coach. Bad recipe

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would love to talk you out of that POV but I cannot. I also believe the offense takes a step back. My hope is that it is methodical and rarely turns the ball over so that we can keep the other offense off the field. Then if our defense improves we have a chance to be good.

17. happygatorguy

happygatorguy Junior

Apr 17, 2007
    Most points per game since 1917 ? Good grief that's Muschampian like.