Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Preseason nonsense is starting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Billgator, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Billgator

Billgator Freshman

Apr 12, 2007
    The preseason nonsense is starting before this season is even over.
    Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm is leaving, Gators a lock for SEC East.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    That’s not nonsense, that’s a very real scenario
    You’ll know when the total stupid begins is when the hillbillies start popping off

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    who will be the starting QB for UGA? They also lose Swift and I believe 4 offensive lineman. I know they have 5 stars everywhere, but still it's not nonsense to think an experienced QB with a (hopefully) experienced and better offensive line and experienced defense can beat them. We get LSU, SC, MIZZ & Kentucky (harder game than some might expect) at home and have to travel to Vandy, Ole Miss (circle that game) and Tennessee. I think we're in prime position to capture a SEC East title. Once again, it really depends on our running game getting stronger and if our defense can take the next step in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    UGa will return two starters on offense: C and WR.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Those are facts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1993R

1993R Senior

Apr 25, 2007
    Gainesville, Florida
    I would pull for UT to beat the Dawgs........University of Tehran

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Hahahahahaha...................................

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Their offense sucked out loud this year and they won the east so I will wait to see how the games go next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    We cannot even call it preseason until UT starts announcing that this is the year they retake the East.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As long as the team doesn't spend too much time reading about how great they are between now and the season (i.e. stay focused and disciplined/take care of business) it's all good. Time to replace uga at the top of the east and challenge bama for sec supremacy. (Burrow was Lsu's Tebow and is gone after Monday)

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Obviously we have a big opportunity next year. The door is open. But we are going to have to be ready to play -- that early season game in Knoxville might be tough.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Or, at least until the postseason ends.

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Georgia swaps A&M out in 2020 and picks up Bama. Auburn's Nix will no longer be a freshman, while UF's permanent west opponent will be starting a new QB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia had the 4th best FEI offense in the SEC last year (behind Bama, LSU, and us). They also faced 5 top 25 total yardage defenses, and look how they did compared against those team's average yards allowed:

#9 FLORIDA - 5.9 ypp (vs. 4.9 ypp average)
    #14 Missouri - 5.1 ypp (4.9)
    #18 Notre Dame - 5.7 ypp (4.7)
    #21 Kentucky - 4.9 ypp (5.3)
    #23 Tennessee - 7.5 ypp (5)

Kentucky was the only top defense that performed well against them. Auburn (#28) slowed them down offensively, too, if you want to look at that (3.9 vs. 4.8)...A&M did as well. But UK and AU were also games where the offense didn't have to perform because the defense was shutting down the opposition. Their defense wasn't shutting our offense down, their offense stepped up when needed. Not saying they were world-beaters on offense, but they were good enough to be respected.

If you look at NCAA total yards, you'll see UGa coming in at #61 right behind SWAC, but there are many teams ahead of them that you wouldn't say had a better offense than Georgia's this past season. Now I'm going to take a shower for saying something positive about Georgia.

---------------------

To the OP's point, I think he's just saying let's not put the cart before the horse. There are tons of things that appear to be lining up nicely, but let's not let that put us in a 2009 frame of mind. We need to be able to enjoy the ride up the escalator as it comes. If that's his point, I completely agree. Savor each win, savor the pursuit of getting back to Atlanta with a shot to win it, savor the hope of staying in the hunt for a CFP bid...don't expect any of it to come easy.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
  15. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Have they predicted notre dame in the playoff yet? It’s not silly season till then.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    They already have. Saw some stupidity from the 'billies on another site, in response to a Fromm departure story. They are "back" and "we aren't all that" and 2+2 = Vols win the east in 2020. They are nothing if not consistent - that's part of why beating them is still so much fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    I live here in The Belly of the Beast. The 2020 yapping had started and was running pretty hot around here...until their bowl game.

I'll still say that J Garantano scares me the way F Franks' used to, at times. Tough kid, no quit, a few questionable decisions each game but can beat you. Vol D Line should be pretty stout, some talent at LB. Receivers? Not sure there.

18. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Their schedule is a lot harder in 2020 than it was this year. One difference is Bama on the road early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We're running the table next year.
    Only Ole Hit or Miss should be an issue on the road.
    2020 is ours for the taking with the right chemistry.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. gazorpazorpfield

gazorpazorpfield Freshman

Jun 21, 2017
    I think calling it "total stupid" ignores the tragic impact VD has had in Eastern Tennessee.

From wikipedia: "Due to unchecked inbreeding, Volsheimers Disease, or VD, has run rampant in much of intermountain Tennessee, leaving sufferers unable to remember blowout losses, subpar recruiting classes, even entire losing seasons..."

Fans of the Smoky Mountain School for the Dentally Impaired don't deserve our scorn. They deserve our pity. Well, our pity and our scorn.

• Funny Funny x 1