Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Prescription med home delivery

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I imagine some of you use the home delivery services offered by some insurance companies. My wife has always wanted her prescriptions at Publix because she likes dealing one on one with the pharmacy. She has quite a long list of medications and to be honest my list is growing too. I just made a spreadsheet to figure how much cheaper our meds would be through home delivery. It seems we would save a small fortune.

So I have some questions about home delivery.
    1. do your meds always seem to get to you on time.
    2. Do they try to coordinate delivery of more than one prescription at once? The wife has like 20 prescriptions and I have 8 or 9 myself. Will they be ringing our doorbell 30 times a month.
    3. Have you had any problems with home delivery? I really want to go the home delivery route, the wife not so much.

2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My local pharmacy delivers, so I have the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    1. Yes they will be on time
    2. I am surprised Publix has not spoken to you about syncing your meds so they are all due on the same day as that affects their reimbursements from insurance. When you speak with the mail order pharmacy they can help you with that.
    3. There should not be any problems with delivery. It would most likely be through either Fedex or UPS

4. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You should also check out costplusdrugs.com. It’s a venture set up by Mark Cuban and depending on your medications you can save quite a bit of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Physician and pharmacist errors are a real thing. Using one pharmacy, a local one, is my preferred method. With twenty medicines presumably written by more than one doctor contraindications would be a real worry for me. My local Walgreens delivers. Even if they have them filled remotely, in theory that means a pharmacist that you know makes sure everything is ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I have two prescriptions I get thru Optimrx. It’s great. They send me alerts when it’s time to refill. I click yes and they arrive in a couple of days.
    No copay with my plan

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    For years we used Optum delivery and now are using express scripts through Cigna. I’ve never had any real problems and having them sent 90 days beats the heck out of trips to pharmacy. You just have to stay on top because delivery will take a week or so unless expedited. I always try to build up a bit of “reserve” so it isn’t a problem.

Some packages have multiple scripts and some are separate. They are put it mail box not delivered to the door.

8. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Yeah OptumRx through UnitedHealthCare is who we would be using if I can talk the wife into it. I think the copay depends on the drug. Many of them are no copay. UHC sent us a list of the prices through Optum vs Publix and there is quite a savings on some of the higher priced meds.

9. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Definitely go with OptumRx. It's cheap and extremely convenient.

10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009

Personally, I use OptumRx through my companies plan. It is mostly fine, but at least once I have had the wrong pills in the bottle. Coming from a medical family I am kind of nut about checking dose, shape, size, color and markings on pills. Also, they toggled back and forth between 2 generic versions of my only other medication. One generic caused side effects, the other did not. I have to constantly check before they ship to make sure they follow the instructions on the specific generic I can tolerate. Despite what everyone will tell you, generics are NOT all the same, nor are they exactly the same as the brand named drugs. Stabilizers, preservatives even dye colors can have huge impacts in creating interactions when you take a lot of pills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    My ex is a pharmacist. She said most generics are generally interchangeable for most people but there are some that are not. The one I remember is sinthroid (not sure of the spelling there). Her advice was stick exactly with what you are using. New users could start with a generic but then stick with that generic. If you started on the non generic stick with the non generic.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Any reason you have to use the same pharmacy as your wife?

13. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    No but she is the one with some expensive meds. The price through Optum is about half what it is through Publix. I think we are going to go ahead and switch. We can always switch back at a later date if she isn't happy.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t carry insurance but use geniusrx and optumrx with no issues. pretty cheap.

15. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    We have Aetna, and the mail order pharmacy is through CVS. It is really convenient, until there’s a problem. Then it becomes a huge PITA.