Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

POLL: Predictions for Head Coach Billy Napier's First Season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Jan 14, 2022.

How well will Billy Napier's Gators do in year one?

1. Undefeated and National Champions

4.7%
  2. College Football Playoff Team

1.2%
  3. 12-0 Regular Season

0.3%
  4. 11-1 Regular Season

0.3%
  5. 10-2 Regular Season

8.5%
  6. 9-3 Regular Season

24.1%
  7. 8-4 Regular Season

36.2%
  8. 7-5 Regular Season

21.2%
  9. 6-6 Regular Season

2.9%
  10. Here's My Prediction

0.6%
  1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    Florida Gators Head Coach Billy Napier's first season in Gainesville is coming up. We have an "army" of coaches, analysts, recruiters, assistants and support staff now. Not to mention a bunch of new players. It's a brand new day and Florida football is going to be very different this year.
    How well will Billy Napier's Gators do in year one?

[​IMG]

2022 Florida Gator Football Schedule
    Date Time At Opponent Location Links
    September 3, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home Utah Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    September 10, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home Kentucky Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    September 17, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home South Florida Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    September 24, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Away Tennessee Knoxville, Tenn.
    October 1, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home Eastern Washington Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    October 8, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home Missouri Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    October 15, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home LSU Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    October 29, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Neutral Georgia Jacksonville, Fla.
    November 5, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Away Texas A&M College Station, Texas
    November 12, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Home South Carolina Gainesville, Fla. / Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
    November 19, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Away Vanderbilt Nashville, Tenn.
    November 26, 2022 (Saturday) TBA Away Florida State Tallahassee, Fla.

2. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    I'm optimistic.
    Expecting great things for Billy Napier's first team.
    10-2.

• Optimistic x 6
    • Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I went 8 - 4. The staff needs a year to put together an SEC championship competitor. If we could win the bowl, 9 - 4 would be a great start IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Gonna take some time, but I expect us to win the ones we're supposed to. I went 8-4.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Gotta build up that line of scrimmage on both sides Apex, that takes time and we need quality bodies, especially on the Defensive Line. A year or two away from that IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    We have a killer schedule...
    Open up with the Pac 12 champs...
    Then we play Kentucky the following week, and they have been playing us really tough.
    Then we have USF at home before going to UT the next week.
    New coaches usually have growing pains, especially early in the season.
    So it won't be shocking to see us open 1-3. I hope not.

Mid-season we have UGA and TAMU back to back. Ouch.
    So I'll say 8-4, and even that is optimistic.
    That would be losses to Utah, UGA, TAMU, and one more. (UK or UT.)

It's too bad we are opening with such a tough schedule.
    This would be a good year to start a little easier.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. toprowgator

toprowgator Senior

Jun 24, 2019
    I'll be happy in year one with 8-4, only one embarrassing loss and a top 7-8 recruiting class.

• Like Like x 1
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I see 6 games we win: USF, EWU, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, FSU
    5 games that are toss ups: Utah, UK, UT, LSU, aTm
    And 1 loss: UGA.

I think less than 8 is a disappointment. 9 or more is great.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  9. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    I think it highlights the difference in coaching expectations between CDM and CBN when we talk about win loss in the first year. After all, CDM came in and won ten games with a roster that had only won four games the year before. If CBN is an upgrade, shouldn't he do the same? And I think the answer is of course not. I think that the Mullen tenure conclusively showed that, in today's SEC, no matter how good you can scheme, you cannot win consistently without elite recruiting.

Mullen left the program much better than he found it, and left a potential game changer at QB, so nine or ten wins is not out of the question, but I do not expect it. I expect more consistency on both sides of the ball. I think that consistency will significantly improve the defense. We may lose to South Carolina next year, but we are not getting blown out. I think that the offense will be more consistent, but less explosive as it will take a year or so for the offensive line to be able to set the table for what CBN wants to run. So, 8-4, but I think one of those wins is LSU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GATORAJE

GATORAJE All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Luling, Louisiana
    I voted 9-3

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    10 - 2 Baby!! Let's do it Billy! Goooooooooooo Gators! :):D

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  12. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Love the optimism and I hope you are right. But I see 6-6. Loses Utah, Ga, Texas A&M, Tenn, KY and LSU or South Car. Right now too many questions: qb, defensive and offensive lines. and linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    NC!!!!!!!!

• Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  14. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    VOTE !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    I'm going 9-3 with losses to Georgia, aTm, and one other (leaning Missouri).

I think this team is very talented and Dan Mullen left us in decent shape with no glaring weaknesses - although we have many deficiencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    8-4. Four losses being Utah, UT, UGA, aTm. Hope I'm wrong though and we get some players who don't want to lose and will play their hardest. I think we do have the talent, just got to get them to believe.

17. MCB51

MCB51 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Missouri is going to get their come up pence....karma

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    9-3 and a bowl win

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    I'm not convinced that we have the quantity of top-end talent that will be needed for an 8-win season against the schedule we will face. Worse case is probably 6-6, best case looks like 8-4 to me - at best. I suppose I've been conditioned by the last three regimes to expect multiple breakdowns at key positions - frequently in several areas, simultaneously. Until I see the holdovers, many of whom seemed to be going through the motions after UK beat us again, play with courage, consistency and commitment, my expectations will remain relatively low for this season. I love the CBN hire and the way he has tackled the rebuild that lays before him. I'm just trying to be realistic about the outlook for '22, but of, course, I will be hoping for the best, along with everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I still think we have several key positions that only need a bit of quality depth, but if one of our QBs can be that guy... The sky is the limit. I thing a great QB takes care of any problems we had on the O-line last year, plus I think we get better this year a more consistent than the last two years. O-line play has been very inconsistent, but they haven't played as badly as some people seem to think they played. The O-line is one or two players from being good.

The running backs room with be good. The TEs will be much improved by September.. same with the receivers room. That just leaves the defense.

I think we're going to have a stout defense, the question is will we have enough experience and quality depth that we need to compete in the SEC? Our DB and Safeties will be improved just by the freshman coming in, but we should also get some good experienced portal help too.

The D-line needs more quality depth, preferably some good experienced depth. But the LBs will be interesting. We get back some very good experience and some freshman quality players that might just push for playing time. I can't wait to see that room of players perform... See who end up starting.

Not going to get into details on names but I will post more about that later as we see just who we get on signing day and in the portal.

The coaches will be the difference next year too. That's what makes me feel that we might have good year. It cannot be worse than the last year's coaching staff.

Can we beat Utah to start the year? If so look out... We also have to travel to A&M, again, which is messed up, IMHO. Since they joined the SEC (after next year's game with them) we've will have played them 3 times in College Station will they will have come to Gainesville only once. Screw the 2020 schedulers for that crap.

A&M is a tough game there... LSU is in Gainesville so I feel good about that game. FSU should be no problem in Tallahassee. Tenner, Kentucky and USCe are winnable, but the UGA game depends on who they lose. They are losing the OC and DC and a ton of talent which is good news, IMHO. The crazy thing about that is that they will have Muschamp as their DC and may even have a Mullen type OC... Lol, I'm glad Kirby hates the real Mullen.

I can see at least 10 wins if we get consistent play from our QB position... or more. It all comes down to how we handle Utah in the first game of the Napier era.

We should win the games that we're supposed to win and then it's up to how well we play, Utah, A&M, LSU and UGA...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1