Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Prediction thread.....when will we win an SEC title and another National Championship?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jan 13, 2021.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

That would be the correct answer

2. tbtwnsnd

tbtwnsnd Premium Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Memphis
    Well we are only 7 years away from being 20 years since a title. I’m a 34 year old gator so that’s a lot to me. I’d say once Saban leaves so 2028. We will be 20 years after our last like UGA did in 2002. Which isn’t a bad thing considering Bama’s run the past 14 years.

3. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Who knows? DM will have to make quite a few changes for that to happen, upgrade staff, improve recruiting and improve motivational skills just to name a few.

4. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Right! Hilarious. I come here at GC anytime I need a good laugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Not any time soon. Like previously mentioned, need two top consecutive recruiting classes. More talent on D. I believe Mullen can make a good offense out of what he has. But the D needs to be half ass. And of course, get the breaks. They all seemed to work the other way at crucial times. The 3rd and longs kill moral. Shoe tossings and fumbles/to have to be in our favor.

6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    This is the belief, that we were so close to beating the Gumps this year. I thought so too, but the other day I was talking with my Alabama friend (actually from Mississippi, but played for Alabama and worked as a Bammer scout for decades) who strongly disagreed with me. Said Saban started to relax in the 3rd quarter after the big lead and played a lot of 3rd stringers. I don't confirm this, just his point of view.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sometime before pigs learn how to become airborne--oh, wait, that's Georgia I was thinking about.

8. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Within the next two years. We were close this year. Going to keep getting better.

We don’t need n top classes in a row. We’re close on talent. D will be a lot better next year and here on out.

Orange and blue glasses, Baby!!!

Go Gators!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Yeah, Bazza, this is a tricky one. I like Tilly, the heartbeat of Gator balls optimism. Next year isn't out of the question. If these receivers can catch balls that come their way. Our best guys this year did that in a big way. Like they had stickum on their hands. Bravo to them. The "D" should be improved. EJ should be decent. I sure hope he knows his reads because he isn't big enough to run cause he can't do his check downs. Not all the time every game. He throws a decent ball, runs well. Our defense can step it up we might be pretty decent. Lotta 'ifs'. Georgia will be good. Their QB is pretty decent.

I don't mind Mullen having fun. He should. But within the context of being a respectable leader and a role model. Don't embarrass the school.

SEC east is there for the taking. Won't be easy. Our team will need some serious development to make it happen.

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    The same year we beat Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

"Much better last year" was a bit of the fact that we played some weak teams. He didnt show very well vs top teams and would have likely looked similar against this years schedule.

12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

We lost to the SEC/National champs by 14 last season (when a game tying drive was picked off in the endzone.)
    We lost to the SEC/National champs by 6 pts this season.
    By my math that means we win the SEC and Natty by 1 pt next year. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Going back to the actual play-by-play in the 3rd quarter, I find this hard to believe for these reasons...

1) Saban and "relax" in the same sentence, LOL.
    2) Saban is not an idiot. And while they led by 18 points to open the 2nd half, we also scored on a 4 play 1 minute drive to close the 1st half. So Saban knew we could score quickly.
    3) Then we opened the half with a 4 play, 1+ minute drive to close the gap to 11. So he's saying Saban relaxed at this point??? LOL even harder.
    4) After we exchanged punts, we scored on a long drive to close the quarter and cut the gap to 4.
    5) Bama did extend the lead in the 4th quarter to 14 (after the KT fumble) BUT again, that's only 2 scores, and Saban knew we could score quickly. Which we did on the ensuing possession, cutting it to a 1 score game.
    So I'm not sure at what moment Saban relaxed? Again, knowing Saban is not an idiot.
    Unless he meant that Bama rotated in some 3rd stringers on the DL.

Look- we got some breaks in this game, so I'd never say we were even w/ Bama. (Toney fumble overturned, we recovered Davis fumble.)
    I'm an optimistic fan, but I'm not blind.
    But to say we could not have won this game, or that Saban relaxed, is just as delusional.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    100% agree, delusional for anyone to think Bama backed off. All their starters were still in. If they sat Smith or Najee I’d agree but they were out there the whole time and the game was never 100% in hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    You know I haven't heard of anybody on Alabama's team say they were worried during that game or that we gave them the most trouble or the biggest scare all season. I agree, it sure looked that way from what I saw!
    Thanks for the analysis on that, I didn't agree with my Alabama friend but I didn't want to give the old man an argument either. He is Crimson through and through and has been a really good neighbor, even bought me a nice new grill for Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    next season for sure

• Like Like x 1
  17. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    LOL........well played......

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Not until we do much better in recruiting. Alabama continues to dominate in recruiting. Every year we will say if this...if that. Until this changes we will continue to be 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC.