Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pre-Spring Depth Chart

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Feb 7, 2019.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He said he'd be in the two-deep, not that he would be a starter. I think he'll be right behind Toney but could back up any of the outside receivers. He could also play wildcat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If not on field this year, will most assuredly transfer before next. Had to be in rotation and see minutes when 4 senior WRs depart

3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    Could happen. I also don't think Josh Hammond gets discussed enough. If you put the ball near him, he catches it. If you need ten yards on third down, Josh is our most reliable option to make a play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I’m hoping Coach Turner can relate to and motivate the Gator bigs on the interior DL better than Sunseri did. If Conliffe and Slayton show some consistent effort and get back in the picture, they along with Campbell should be a force in the middle in their third year. Work ‘em silly Savage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Toney in at QB......second string behind.......:ninja2:

6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Honestly if he is what he’s supposed to be then the only obvious better choice I see on that list is Jefferson and that’s a diff position anyway. If the kid is the goods then neither Hammond nor Swain or anyone else is automatically ahead of him in the slot

7. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Changes based on tidbits from the 1st practice:

QB Franks/Jones/Trask/Jones
    RB Perine/Davis/Pierce/Clement/Wright
    WR Jefferson/Grimes/Henderson/Wells
    WR Cleveland/Pitts/Hammond/Weston
    WR Swain/Toney/Copeland/Marks
    TE Gamble/Krull/Lang/Zipperer
    LT Forsythe/Gouraige/Wilson
    LG Heggie/White/Hammond/
    C Buchanan/Roswell/Eguakun/McDowell (rehabbing)
    RG Bleich/Moore/Harrod/Simonds/
    RT Delance/Tarquin/Banks (rehabbing)

DE Greenard/Chatfield/Clayton/Diabate/Summerall/Moon (rehabbing)
    DT Shuler/Conliffe/Langham
    DT Campbell/Slaton/Dunlap/Humphries
    DE Zuniga/Carter/Ancrum
    MLB Reese/Jackson/Miller/Brunson/Black
    OLB Burney/Houston/Reese/Pierre/Bogle
    STAR Dean/Huggins/Hopper
    CB Henderson/Hill/Elam/Kimbrough
    SS Taylor/Davis/Lenton/Whittemore
    FS Stiner/Stewart/McWilliams
    CB Wilson/Steele/Edwards

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

So now... we'll have to see if your "order of the depth" will stand, or will your "starters" , or first listed, change

9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    It's hard to fathom Josh Hammond being third on the depth chart, to me. I feel like he is our most reliable third-and-ten option. You can almost always count on him to make a play when you absolutely need one.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I didn't know where to slot Hammond since there are so many WR options. Latest projection I saw had Hammond starting in the slot over Swain and Toney backing up Cleveland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Is Huggins crosstraining at safety also or just focusing on Star? Where was he practicing last season?

12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    As some of these kids are injured and others are not yet on campus, really challenging in Spring Ball to determine depth chart beyond first string at this point. After summer conditioning we will see if any of the OL switch places. I think OL, one of the DE positions, TE and the backup CB positions is where there is the most opportunity for great changes in depth chart. Just don’t see how Copeland climbs that depth chart significantly this year.

13. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky

He will get his shot. How that goes will determine from which rung he hangs on the ladder of depth....

14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    But, if he can just hold on and get his moderate amount of reps this year, there will be all kinds of room next year for Copeland to have a breakout season. Swain, Jefferson, Hammond, and Cleveland will all be gone. He is only a redshirt freshman, so, that leaves up to three more years after this year to excel with a lot of snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Our defense looking salty again this year! :emoji_metal:

16. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree. I think he started every game last season. The three best receivers will start regardless of where we expect them to line up before the snap. Remember that Cleveland was the listed starter at the slot position while he was healthy and he's hardly what most people would call a slot receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    We don't know where he's starting out on the depth chart. I read somewhere that he was going to play all three WR spots so he doesn't need to be high on the depth chart to get on the field. Right now his biggest challenge is recovering from his injury. He can't worry about the depth chart until he's fully rehabbed. We might not see much of him this season but I expect him to be a starter by 2020.

18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    We will be better on defense from game 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Based on what I've been reading about practice so far, the WRs making the biggest impact so far this spring are Cleveland, Jefferson, Pitts and Hammond. Have also read a tidbit or two about Copeland and Jackson. That's not to say the other WRs aren't making plays. I'm sure Swain is as steady as ever and Grimes is certainly going to be in the thick of things because of his size. To get the best four receivers on the field at the same time, I think Pitts will start at TE then rotate out to one of the outside WR spots when Gamble needs to be in the lineup. Jefferson, Cleveland and Hammond look like starters at the three WR spots with Pitts, Swain and Toney rounding out the rest of the two deep. Given how many four WR sets the Gators run, I think we'll see a little bit of Wells, Copeland and one of the freshmen.

Have just one thought about the RB spot. Given our issues on the OL, I think Perine is going to have to stay on the field a lot more than he did last season. Pierce just isn't the blocker he needs to be yet.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Go
    good bits of info

• Agree Agree x 1