Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pre-Spring Depth Chart

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Feb 7, 2019.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Copeland has to be in 2 deep and rotation this year. Way to talented to keep off field.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Anyone know the status of MLB Miller? He got hurt in the Peach Bowl and was sitting on the bench with a towel over his head w/ teammates consoling him. Didn't look good.

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I see no injury report for Ventrell Miller. Perhaps his Twitter feed will have something? I’m sure Murph has s connection that can find out

4. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Didn't Pitts move to WR? I'm pretty sure I am remember that right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    There was a previous thread on here saying that TOS was reporting only Griffin McDowell would miss spring practice (obligatory scooter accident).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    LT Forsythe/Gouraige/Wilson/Tarquin (rehabbing)
    LG Heggie/Hammond/Eguakun
    C Buchanan/Heggie/McDowell (rehabbing)
    RG Moore/Bleich/Simonds/White
    RT Banks/Delance/Harrod

What is going on with Banks? Some have suggested he may have to give up football

7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I expect Dante Lang to move to defense and I think Wright will be ahead of Clement.

Trying to guess the depth chart at WR is a fools errand. They run so many different formations, it's not as easy as picking the top three at X, Y and Z. Cleveland was often listed as the starter in the slot but he's obviously not a slot receiver. He's an outside guy that should be on the field as often as possible. It's easier to just rank our best outside guys and then our best slot receivers. I'll be surprised if we seen much from true freshmen there but I expect Copeland to make an impact at one of the positions, probably the slot.

8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I expect Zuniga and Moon to be o. The field at the same time. And I think it was Chatfield playing SDE against Michigan he will be in the mix too.

9. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greenard is 263. Do you expect both Zuniga and Moon to start over him? I guess Chatfield has grown into a SSDE? That would be good for us. We've got a lot of talent at WDE/OLB.

10. GameTime1

GameTime1 All American

Jul 27, 2015
    Was it an obvious passing down for chatfield? Hes listed at 6' 245 and was known for his pass rush. I cant see him ever being a true SDE.

11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    No way McWilliams is in 2 deep. Bless his heart that kid was picked on by Idaho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Significant shuffling will occur. I’m really interested to see moves on the Dline and TE.

13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Maybe it wasn’t him I just thought it was. Although 15 more pounds and he could play that strong side

14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I would not be surprised if Grimes becomes our top receiver.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Legend

Dec 6, 2015
    The problem is we're deep at WR, right now...

Which of the following does he start over:

1. Van Jefferson
    2. Trevon Grimes
    3. Kadarius Toney
    4. Josh Hammond
    5. Freddie Swain
    6. Tyrie Cleveland

Toney's snaps will likely be limited again, likely to prevent injury due to size... But I'd rather have any of these guys on the field than Copeland... But that's not saying much... Big fan of all of them... Nice having a deep receiver room...

I think he may break out this year... but most likely will break out in 2020...

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I
    f Cope is given the opportunity and Franks keeps getting better, he will break out this year. He may be as talented as any receiver we have and may not be willing to sit another year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Lots of mays in here....he will play if he is better than the other guys if not he isn't that good. I hope he is good too, I think he is but we really don't know yet. He will play if he's good.

18. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Depth chart looks good everywhere except offensive line which may give me night sweats until we start getting some positive reports. Just so many questions.

Mullen wasn't exaggerating when he said some of new signees are going to need to play. The right someone might even earn starting snaps before the season is through.

Think we can really benefit from the right grad transfer or two, especially at OT. Hope we can beat Tx. out for Braun. Haven't totally given up on a Reese transfer yet, either.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys missed returning starter Hammond. He does everything right and makes clutch catches. Coaches like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Legend

Dec 6, 2015
    Fortunately, I don't think we take a huge step back next season (if at all).

I really like how our Defense looks next season...

Offense may take a step back due to the offensive line... I have a feeling that this offense goes as the line goes... But I like us more at every position next season (as you said) apart from the offensive line... We'll see...

I'm really most worried about the following games:

1. Miami, particularly because we start the year with them
    2. LSU
    3. Georgia
    4. Auburn

Right now, if I had to guess... we lose to LSU (particularly because it's in Death Valley) and Georgia (still think we're another year away)... but we beat Miami and Auburn...