Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

powip15

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by danmann65, Feb 14, 2018.

1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I dont know who this is maybe a bot but he is spamming boards with what I presume are links to bad sights.

2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    This has been going on for a few months now.

Prolly about time for a captcha or something to stop the bots.

3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah ... I miss him already ... we were starting to reminisce about the old AOL days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I clicked the link. Nothing bad happened. It just asked for my credit card number, social security number, and my bank account information. That powip guy seems like a trustworthy fellow, so I obliged.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I didnt want to even click on one of the threads. I guess I could have done something else but someone noticed and they are gone.

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I don't see how those posts are in any way effective. I guess since it's all done by bots it's essentially free, but who exactly looks at the mess of bad grammar, spelling, and formatting and thinks, "THIS is who I should call for help with my AOL problem!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Same people who in 2018 look at the mess that is AOL and think “THIS is who I should turn to for internet services.”

I suspect that the AOL help pitch is pretty deliberately targeted at folks who aren’t computer savvy.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Sure, I get that someone using AOL in 2018 is probably out of it in more ways than one, but the formatting was so bad the post was hard to even follow. My in-laws have been fooled by these fake tech support scams (for Windows), but at least the site that fooled them was professional looking.

9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    If those things didn't work at least some of the time, people would have stopped doing them years ago. Just read Facebook or the type of people that comment on online newspaper articles and you would see there is a wide audience of potential victims.

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Yeah, I know they must work to some extent. It's just when I see one like this I can't even picture the person who it would fool. It's so horribly formatted that it seems like you'd have to have some clarity of thought just to understand it, and if you had any clarity of thought you wouldn't believe it, but then maybe that horrible formatting "speaks" to the people who think it makes sense. I don't know. It sucks thinking that one day I'll probably be fooled by this type of crap, or at least fooled by the more sophisticated versions of this type of crap.

11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Yeah, maybe this one was bad but even the poorly written Nigerian scams catch an occasional victim. I don't think it's all that uncommon though. I used to work for a pretty prominent consulting firm and they sent out a fishing email to see who would click it. It looked unrelated to me and I moused over the link to see if it was internal, so I didn't click it. But a bunch of my coworkers did click it and got stuck with another online training to do. These weren't dumb people either.