Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Pouncey Pissed

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 26, 2020.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

To be fair, Idk anything about the CBA, however, the idea that any of these players are hurting for money, let alone rent money is hilariously ridiculous. Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can someone summarize the deal?

4. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Yet they are the crucial component of an entertainment complex worth more and more billions every year. It is not like the owners are scraping the salary cap (which can be done as soccer has none) and they (the owners) are all billionaires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. ca1cugat0r

ca1cugat0r Freshman

Mar 16, 2014
    Memphis
    usatoday.com/amp/4878534002

Some highlights:

-Regular season expanded to 17 games (extra money for players)
    -Playoff expanded to 14 teams (only top seed in each conference received a 1st round bye)
    -Training camp practices reduced to 16 from 28
    -Roster size increases from 53 to 55
    -Minimum rookie salary to increase by $100,000
    -Relaxed marijuana penalties

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    The context of the comment was that IF there is a lockout, then people would be hurting for money DURING the lockout - when they were not being paid. Many sports (NHL and NFL I believe) only pay players during the season so they earn money for 1/3 of the year and must make that money last for the remainder of the year. Sounds easy when you are Tom Brady making millions per year plus bonuses (that can be paid in the off season) and endorsements.

Most players get little sponsorship or endorsements (offensive lineman) and many are young guys who have little experience with money, budgeting, etc. They might get $3M dropped on them over 4 months but not budget in their agent (5%?), taxes of 35% (plus taxes in every city they play in (another 5%), etc. You plan on paychecks coming next season but if there is a lockout then I can see guys falling short, even if they are not stupid about their money. I know of many athletes who take loans to bridge seasons.

I always think it is funny how people focus on athletes and how many end up bankrupt, but I'm not sure they differ from the average population when you look at how many lottery winners go bankrupt? Honestly, most folks - be they athletes or regular joes - have no idea how they would react to windfall wealth, especially in their early 20s. What Percentage of Lottery Winners Go Broke? (Plus 35 More Statistics). Actually, the similarity in lottery winners and high school/college athletes is more about how unlikely one is to hit the jackpot. Playing the game (buying a lottery ticket or counting on a pro career) is betting against the house as education, hard work, saving, and sensible investments are much surer ways to wealth.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. LLCoolJ94

Sorry, no dice. I don't care if they get paid only one day each year. The minimum rookie salary is more than the average person makes per year. If teachers, custodians and whomever else is barely scraping over the poverty limit can sustain him or herself, then surely someone who makes at least nearly six figures should be able to manage.

Change my mind.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    You missed the point of my post. This has nothing to do with rookie salary or NFL money. It has to do with your focus on people coming into great wealth and handling that wealth poorly or going bankrupt. Put teachers, custodians or any other average person in that position and many will end up bankrupt or financially stressed - results of the lottery prove it. Put them in that position when they are 24 and have dreams of a pro career and it is no shock that pro athletes are... just people. No smarter, no dumber.

If your point is that many, many people handle windfall wealth poorly, we agree. I guess that if you gave average kids (not athletes) professional sports levels of wealth at age 23, they would have similar outcomes to NFL players. And I won't say "Change my mind" because you have no data to support a contrary position, whereas the lottery data supports my position (though you ignored it). Ultimately, I have no resentment or emotional reaction to people who blow wealth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. LLCoolJ94

I think you missed the point of my first comment. What has this to do with the CBA and raising the salary other than a tangential SES conversation? Are you suggesting that the NFL ought to increase the salaries just to prevent them from going broke? If so, then according to your argument, they would just blow that increased salary as well.

So again, where are you going with this and what has this to do with the CBA?

10. zanesville

zanesville Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    This is the same Pouncey who introuces himself in NFL games as Lakeland HS rather than University of Florida. Hard to feel any sympathy for him.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nope, you're right on the money. Bank every penny of that money if it comes on one day of the year and most sensible people will do fine.

Most athletes do not fall in the "sensible" category in their early 20's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Actions speak louder than words. What he did for this football program will go down in Gator football history, who cares what he says on a silly TV intro.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Sophomore

Jun 22, 2007
    We've treated these guys like kings their whole life. They don't know any different.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Well they could choose to use their free "useful" degree to work a job that is not as physically hard on the body, pays regularly year round, where they won't have agent expenses, and gets paid by a multi millionaire rather than a billionaire. It's always good to have options.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    With less practices and a short preseason, how crappy is the NFL product going to be for the first month of the season?

16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    To be fair most people aren’t sensible in their early 20s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    What is the players unions biggest fight? What are they asking for in return for the extra game? They should ask for less money, proven&honest money managers, and better healthcare.

18. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    OK. Will try one last time. You stated: "the idea that any of these players are hurting for money, let alone rent money is hilariously ridiculous." Then you conclude "the minimum rookie salary is more than the average person makes per year. If teachers, custodians and whomever else is barely scraping over the poverty limit can sustain him or herself..."

I identified several factors to be taken into context in this situation, including:
    - Players only get paid in season and expenses are spread over a year,
    - During a strike, expected income would be deferred,
    - players are human beings and we know from watching any windfall recipients (like lottery winners) that many people manage such windfalls poorly (including to bankruptcy). Thus, while football players make what most see as a windfall, when non-athletes receive such windfalls they act just like football players... human.
    - The above is especially true for young men who receive windfalls (little experience, knowledge and leeches all around).

Nobody ever said the solution is paying them more... except you being sarcastic. The point was that athletes are not anomalous in being poor money managers and the resentment many show toward them seems odd to me ("treat them like kings" or "Most athletes do not fall in the "sensible" category in their early 20's" instead of "Most People do not..."). I am actually part of a debt fund that sometimes loans money to athletes but we get huge security because they are poor money managers (small piece of the fund). I'd loan money to lottery winners IF the state agreed to assign future lottery payments to me. I am a capitalist and hold no resentment towards fools who are parted from their money. Just weird to me that many people focus on resenting athletes when actually most Americans are poor money managers. Hell, look at the current deficit and we have had 12 years of economic boom times.

Perhaps a misguided attempt to discuss concepts without taking "sides" - just to think deeply, contextually, fairly and completely about issues. I'm not advocating for anything nor resenting anybody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NFL players get paid by “game checks”. They get a check for their total salary divided by 16 (or 20, not sure how they handle the preseason) every week during the season. They all have agents, who should handle the money for them and make the checks last for 52 weeks, and beyond - WELL beyond.

I realize that a lot of these athletes come from poor backgrounds, and coming into a ton of money at a relatively young age can be a difficult adjustment. But the NFL and the NFLPA provide plenty of guidance, if they’ll just listen.

My mom was a public schoolteacher in Florida for 40 years. Teachers were only paid in the months that school was in regular session, meaning not in the summer. Teachers were able to make the necessary budgetary adjustments. Athletes should be able to do the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

A minimum guy in the NFL would now make around $600K under the new deal. That means in 3 years he would make almost 30 years worth of coin to the average Joe.

I get the factors at play are different, but "paying rent"? C'mon Maurkice.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1