Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Potentially Millions left without access to their money

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 22, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    10 million people? How mcuh money are we talking about? Chime... I knew that was a scam waiting to happen. And the Federal Reserve is not helping out? I feel badly for all those innocent people that can't get their life savings out of their banks becasue of technical glitches.

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    In the past I’ve planted some money in a couple of fintechs to get bonuses or higher interest rates. Luckily it’s all out now. Not worth the risk.

I suspect they will get their money back but it could take a while.

4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I do not even know enough on the topic to comment. All of our money is in banks like Bank of America and JP Morgan. I have always held a suspicion about these internet only banks with their fin-tech backends that are not obvious to the clients at all. They are likely fine when things are going well, but the lack of established infrastructure has always worried me when times were bad. I am not even sure why that matters...maybe just old I suppose. I will trade through Schwab and now E-Trade (owned by Morgan Stanley) but I would never send money to Robin Hood.

Even with that prejudice, I had some money frozen when Washington Mutual blew up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’ve never heard of many of the companies mentioned. Obviously aware of outfits Robin Hood, and “old school” fintech like Paypal.

It boggles the mind anyone would trust that wild west of fintech with any meaningful amount of money. Some of them clearly don’t have Capitol ratios to handle any type of stress, and apparently some of those cowboys think banking laws and regulations are just suggestions.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    the Fin techs i was in were in banks that are fdic insured - but clearly there is a risk with the somewhat less than transparent fin tech wrapper.

I mostly bailed on BOA after 20+ years when they froze my account - my main account that I had all of my credit card autopays to. They said it would be a month to “ research”. The fraud dept did not like a transfer in of a few thousand from ….one of the fintech banks. I only got it unfrozen by escalating to executive contacts who cleared the problem up. This can happen with any bank but I vowed never again with BOA.

7. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Damn, that's enough to make one go postal.

8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I’ve seen small signs stuck in
    the ground lately saying
    “Investors - 20-40 percent returns secured”

seems worth a shot

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Reminds me of that house of cards bitcoin bullshit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I see things like that and a ton of advertisements and say to myself; “If that was even 25% true they wouldn’t need to advertise at all”.

No, thank you. I’ll stick to traditional ways of managing money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    No idea why you wouldn’t just use one of the big banks.

BOA has been great for me, I don’t do it but you can deposit checks remotely. Zelle transfers are in an instant for no fee. Their fraud watch is great (scary good how well they know your spending habits).

I switched to them years ago after a Credit Union I had used for decades refused to release funds from a 401k I had deposited, they said it was a fake check yet the money had been withdrawn from the account and transferred to the CU account. Once they fixed it I pulled all my money and closed the accounts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Interest rates on bearing accounts at the big physical banks are abysmal is the biggest reason. From looking quickly, looks like the best relationship savings rate at BOA is less than 0.05% currently, while the best FDIC insured “online only” banks are in the 4 and 5% range.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Big banks have ridiculous fees and low interest rates on deposits and high interest rates on loans

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Gotcha.
    I pay no fees (or they are waived) and don’t keep huge amounts in banking for the interest rate.

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My money is in a credit union. But it's not enough to worry about.

17. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    All my money is invested in beanie babies and pet rocks.was thinking of diversifying into fidget spinners.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You could also look into collecting some vintage Ron Popeil products!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Agree re BofA. Became a customer when NationsBank acquired Barnett then merged with BofA ….. so 25+ years ago? I’ve had a great relationship with BofA personally and through employers and clients who bank(ed) with BofA. I can only attribute the big bank hate, especially towards BofA, to be the result of user/customer error.

FWIW, I use the remote deposit function every so often and have never had a problem. I’d not been in a branch in 7 years but did visit one about 2weeks ago to withdraw cash for a motorcycle purchase; still haven’t made the purchase so I’m sitting on a bunch of cash that should have been parked in some S/T treasuries. Oh well.

20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Throw the excess cash into a treasury via Merrill Lynch. BofA makes it very easy to do.