Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post Tourney Rant....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 17, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Our UAA should be ashamed and embarrassed.
    Hell, I was. Our fan showing was absolutely pathetic... perhaps the lowest of the entire field.
    How and why this happens is a complex answer, and not all of it falls on the uaa. But the uaa is certainly not helping the equation. To the contrary, the uaa, its polices and apparent apathy is making it worse. And this year’s was among the worst crowds I’ve seen in 17 years attending.
    This year... like every year past... I called to buy tickets. It’s always an exercise in fultilty, but the apparent new policy is even worse than past... when uaa would open remaining tickets to public sale without effort to sell to OUR fans instead of Cats fans. Now, very early in the season Florida apparently takes orders .... ONLY FROM SEASON TICKET HOLDERS.... for sec ticket books. It then orders only the amount requested from those season ticket holders, even if that doesn’t fulfill its available allotment.
    This is a disgrace, as it leaves fans like me unable to procure tickets. And this year... like most... it yielded an embarrassingly bad gators crowd.

Though I got into the game- it certainly wasn’t thru the aid of my alma mater or the program I have supported for decades. Nope... bought em off the streets. And two members of our group got shutout. Yup... flew to Nashville to watch the game on television.

This is one of the most glaring examples of the uaa giving absolutely zero consideration to the “average fan”, while also showing no discernible interest in building fan support for the event.

Something needs to change. I hope it will.

I have tried to speak with Scott Stricklin, and to his credit... he did reach out and call me, but not at a time I was available. We were supposed to speak again, but it hasn’t happened. I hope it does, as he seems to care. But he has a lot to unravel ... most of which preceded his arrival.

I am not a big money booster, but I am a fan. And the uaa should prioritize fans a bit more than it does.

I hope this is read and considered.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like x 12
    • Winner x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is just sad. Send him that. Although I'm a long time fan, haven't been to the tourney in about 8 years, so i commentd your dedication. Always sparse, but that approach is absurd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I’ve gone in the past..horrible fan experience and worse seats. Keep my money.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    UAA doesn't care. Too busy planning the next football pep rally.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First, I think you and all those GATOR fans who want to attend should get the best tickets available that the school has to offer (certainly before being returned or otherwise released to the public). I completely support you on that endeavor.

Second, I think your passion for the SEC Tournament is incredibly unique. This is mainly what I was alluding to in the optimistic tag from the other thread. I haven't been to an SEC Tournament in Nashville, but when it was in Atlanta, it was always a drive-up option for Saturday if we made it that far, potentially a "leave early on Friday" depending on when our game time was. Nashville is an extra 3.5 hours away and its airport is a bit more expensive to fly into. But I think when using the SEC Tournament to evaluate our fan base, first stop to think about how our home games were. If our home crowd was pretty weak, why would you expect it to be any different in Nashville? I wouldn't. Our home crowd has been weak since the renovations (well, longer than that depending on how nit-picking we want to be). More than this, the tournament is officially just for the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Contrast that with the ACC, who recognizes its conference champion (that's right, Duke is the 2019 ACC Champion). I'm not suggesting a change, but that's a huge difference in terms of value.

As I'm budgeting for next year, I'm looking at this: which away games do I want to go to, where are the NCAA Tournament sites including the Final Four, if none of those catch my eye...then I look at, would I consider going to the SEC Tournament. If the answer is "yes" I need to weigh that against budgeting options for football and baseball (heck, I'd love to see the softball team play in Oklahoma City one day). Where is the passion coming from to fill the stands for an automatic bid tournament? I love GATOR basketball, but I don't have the time or money for this event. I only like the "SEC Tournament" in one sport, the rest of them are fairly maddening in terms of why they exist (Gymnastics recently added to this mystery).

I don't think we have the supply of fans necessary to fill it up the way I know you and others would like to fill it up. Just one man's opinion, and for your sake, I'd love to be wrong.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Why was it moved to Nashville and how long is it staying there? I live 1/2 hour south of atlanta so obviously I prefer it being here for ease of access but Nashville is a doable trip. But I’ll be damned if I’m driving up there to watch it on tv. You have every right to be perturbed about this. Side note , what a horrible non call to end that game. Every bit as bad as the foul call at the end of that ut LSU game a few weeks ago that got that ref suspended. We lost the game thanks to that unbearably long scoring drought but that’s irrelevant. A foul is a foul and u just can’t allow that non call to decide a game in a tournament like that. I was impressed cmw and Nembhard himself was classy after it happened but damn we got jobbed on that one

7. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is in Nashville for 2 more years, then will be in Tampa for 1 year, then Nashville for the foreseeable future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tough to hear about how difficult it is to get tickets. It's been on my bucket list to go to the SEC Tourney. Now of course I could just wait three years and go in Tampa since I live there (and I certainly will go that year) but I'd also like to go to Nashville. With life settling down a bit I was planning to try and go next year but it sounds like getting tickets will be a chore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Nashville’s site, though, is at a basketball facility, not in Atlanta’s Georgia Dome. Aren’t the seats and sight lines better?

10. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Hopefully, for Tampa, the UAA will look to accommodate us regular fans. Did they implement a different protocol for tix the last time it was in Tampa?

For next season, I am considering the SEC-T. Time to plan and budget.

For the SEC-T, thru the school allotment, are tix sold only as “Books” or the team’s sessions?

11. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Senior

Nov 26, 2013
    Wait the SECT will be in Tampa?? The UAA has zero excuse for it to not be a home Gator crowd. ZERO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I have never liked watching b ball games in domes, your right it was tough

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Short term solution would be to find some season ticket holders and buy through them. I know there are several on that post on this site. Not a long term solution though,

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorKP

GatorKP Senior

Jul 30, 2011
    I've been to SEC tourneys in Atlanta and Nashville. I've never bought a full book though. It is tougher to get tickets when it is a UK session. But a bigger arena allows everyone who wants to go the chance to. When we beat UK in the 2014 finals in the Georgia Dome, I got tickets for $40 from a scalper. The drawback though is if UK is not playing, a domed stadium may have only 15K fans and look terrible on tv. But I prefer a larger arena personally. Glad you got in AKA but hate it your friends didnt.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  15. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Our UAA seems to have a weak grasp of getting people to the games. Any games. Sometimes they shrug and say, "Well, it's Florida, the weather this time of year is why other schools farther north will always outdo us in bball attendance." There's a bit of truth in that but it's also a cop-out. We need to make it as easy and attractive as possible to get fans to the games and we simply don't do that.

The downside of our two national championships seems to have been that the AD and UAA then decided that they could charge more and do less. Big mistake. They squandered a golden opportunity.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    If I had a wishlist: I would set about to win these tourneys....that would get more gators to show.

Step one: listen to @akaGatorhoops.

Step two: “prioritize” getting Rowdy Reptiles into these neutral site games. A busload or two. Along with the pep band. Their cheering would get other gators to not be reticent. Help tip the cheering UF’s way.

Step three: take pre-orders from “all” gator fans....use your email list...boosters list, etc. alumni email list too.

Step 4: block out 100 (to start) or so “cheaper” seats for “regular gator fans” who didn’t pre-order. Don’t necessarily rush to sell them. Make sure they go to gator fans too...at least up until a week of the event.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Next year, the solution for Nashville tickets, is to buy a full pass booklet for the whole tournament $450 seat. Seems like a lot of money, but if you want good seats , lower bowl on the side, this would do it. Next year with a very talented young team, it will be worth it. If we lose early, there are Kentucky fans who will buy your remaining games tournament passes from you. Now $450 for a good seat is not bad. Lower bowl tickets on the final game go for at least $400.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Tough to be a season ticket holder for basketball games. Commend all that do, but I’m 5 plus hours away in South Florida and lucky to get to one basketball game per year. AKA is a Superfan and deserves to go to SEC tourney games, if we are giving our allotment away to Kentucky fans or not even requesting our fair share of tickets.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Tampa is perfect. Tired of having to go so far to a tournament. I’ll be in Tampa for sure as well as many other Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Should be 6/7,000 Gator fans every game if not more.