Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post Roe - abortions increase

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by docspor, Oct 25, 2023.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    On my planet people would practice safe sex, birth control, and not use abortion as a form of birth control. Abortions would be for circumstances like rape, incest, health of the mother, etc.

Some want abortions to be available at anytime, no restrictions, and paid for by others. They want to make it ho hum, no big deal. I’m not ok with that. That’s all.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Where did you get that tid bit? Do you think having a child that you don’t want (for whatever reason) is an acceptable punishment for having sex?

Just an FYI, in those states that have draconian abortion restrictions, they’ve seen an increase in infant/maternal mortality. Should we have a parade for that, too?

3. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    well bless your heart you don’t have to be. You are welcome to your opinion. But you can’t intervene in the private decision of a woman, her family, her God (if she believes in one) and her doctor.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Agree. Conservatives fail to make any rational argument why society must force full term gestation on all women other than “because”. Why does Homer get to decide the circumstances that are ok for an abortion? I dont know either.

5. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

To your first question no. It’s not acceptable as no one should be punished including the child growing in the womb. Someone is going to lose. One will lose their life while the other relieves themselves of an unwanted or inconvenient circumstance. Sad on both occasions.

Secondly the parade comment I made was hyperbole. I’m against abortion but realize total restrictions won’t work and will cause more issues than they prevent. And yes, I think some abortion laws are draconian.

6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Thank you for the blessing.

I don’t want to intervene in someone else’s medical decision. Just stating my position personally.

7. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

I don’t get to decide last I checked. lol

Just imo comments.

8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Who brought this thread back up? This thread has always pissed me off, when I am scanning through the thread titles my dyslexic brain sees Post Roe and thinks, "I wonder what Pete Rose did? Did he get into the hall of fame?"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Yeah I posted about this elsewhere. Not at all reassuring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Funny. I read it as Pete Rose too. I thought I was the only illiterate one here.

11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If more people are being murdered in the womb than why are some many Leftists still blubbering about abortion being a state's right?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Since you're making stuff up for your fantasy planet, make sure your birth control methods are 100% effective...because they are not. Birth control failures result in some difficult or not so difficult decision making, depending on the attitude of the parties. And they should NEVER be forced to have a child they don't want simply because of such a failure. Apparently the majority of the people in EVERY state where they have voted so far agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Murder. Please add that term to the ever increasing list of words you can't properly define or understand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Abortion is a challenging topic to legislate partly because rationality is simply irrelevant. The entire argument usually boils down to differing fundamental assumptions regarding whether the fetus is a person. If a fetus isn't a person, the rational law would of course allow abortion, since mothers are people. If a fetus is a person, then the rational law would of course protect the fetus, as it protects all children and adults. But how can we possibly determine if a fetus is a person?

As uncomfortable as it is, we have to legislate based on arational means, because there are simply no rational arguments available for either side.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Lol

I mentioned fantasy planet because someone called it that. I went along with it.

I know birth control isn’t always effective, sadly.

People will speak at the polls if birth control is their biggest issue, that will drive their vote. If I don’t like the results I’m free to state my opinion, like I’ve done here. I think abortions without any restrictions is wrong. That’s all.

Are you ok with no abortion limits/laws where insurance covers the procedure anytime a person wants it for any reason? Yes or no.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Right … to what, exactly ?

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This seems like a red herring to me, and I hear it a lot. My guess is that people who think there should be no limits on abortion, ever, are very small. In my case I think there should be no limits on early term abortion, with a limit somewhere between 15 weeks and viability and/or then limits on abortion after that with fairly liberal medical exceptions between 15-26 weeks, and much tighter medical exceptions post viability. I suspect most pro choice people fall somewhere close to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Louisiana Governor wants to withhold state funding for water infrastructure in New Orleans unless the DA prosecutes women

Last month the good folks of Louisiana elected Republican Jeff Landry to be their next governor. Landry is a MAGA conservative and Trump admirer, with all the right-wing baggage that goes along with that. But here's something I didn't know. Apparently Landry is at war with his state's biggest city, New Orleans:

He has threatened to withhold state funding for the city’s water infrastructure until the DA agrees to prosecute women who violate the state’s abortion ban by seeking the procedure.

There was a time when Republicans almost went berserk if you suggested they wanted to prosecute women who got abortions. Slander! They wanted to go after doctors and clinics but not the women themselves, who were victims almost as much as the aborted fetuses. How dare we liberals misrepresent them so deceitfully?

But guess what? This is what they wanted to do all along. They were just afraid to say it during the period when they were trying to seem sort of moderate and non-scary. Now that they've finally gotten the power they wanted, however, there's no need for the charade any longer.

Louisiana governor wants to prosecute women who seek abortions - Kevin Drum

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Generally fair, except this is the exception where "protecting" the "child" means compelling one person to bear that burden and sacrifice

20. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    No. I believe Roe was very well reasoned and, after viability, the state should be allowed to impose reasonable restrictions.

• Agree Agree x 1