Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: South Carolina 6 vs. FLORIDA 38

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 12, 2022.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It looks as if staff called a scheme that was ineffective, but not because the players were lost or incapable of playing man and pressure.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    TBH, I think it looks more like our DC was running a base defense that was beneath our talent. The entire first half of the season we said we don’t have the talent to play a more aggressive system, yet, miraculously, it looks like we do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Outstanding! I can’t think of a better hype video that I have ever seen.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Which is the reason some gave for not switching earlier in the season to a more press coverage.

6. I noticed something while reviewing and comparing film throughout the season. Irrespective of scheme, the Gator defense closed the spacing and made better reads. If I had to take a guess, earlier in the season Toney put “training wheels” on the defense by asking them to play an additional 5+ yards off typical spacing in zone or man to keep things in front as they learned to trust what they saw. Schematically I still see a similar defense with different disguises, but the defenders are now playing tighter to the offense or doing a better job reading and charging the line. It looks like a new scheme but it might be the same scheme without the training wheels and with better execution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Interesting take, many of these players have been playing for years, so they just all figured out how to make reads after 8.5 games?

8. Maybe this staff has better teachers? Napier did stress the importance of learning playbooks and watching film in the offseason. How many times did we the fans call for Grantham to defend the wheel route right before the opponent ripped off a 50-yard score on a wheel route? It feels as if the Mullen coaching staff did not teach fundamental football, maybe because they were in a hurry to win games quickly using fancy schemes. I get it, we the fans have screamed at Toney over gaps, alignments, distancing, reads, et cetera, but it appears that coaching is starting to work late in the season. It could also be a combination of chemistry among teammates, plus the addition-by-subtraction with Brenton Cox. Plenty of factors could just now be aligning, including learning how to read an offense.

9. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cover 3 is played by many NFL teams. I don't know how you can possibly say the base defense was beneath our talent.

Defensive scheme analysis for all 32 NFL teams | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF