Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Positive University of West Florida posts...National Champions 2019!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Dec 15, 2019.

1. jmmotley

jmmotley VIP Member

May 28, 2007
    Congrats I was at UWF 1969-1971

2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Does this guy still coach there:

[​IMG]

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    LOL, same... We used the tennis and racquetball courts regularly. My high school cross country team used to meet at the UWF track after school and run on some of the campus trails.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    Travis Fryman's father was my PE teacher/coach in high school. Fred was a classmate... He was a giant by 4th grade! His mom was also the music teacher at our elementary school.

• Like Like x 1
  5. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Everytime I see the name I think of that show and I have to laugh...the school was definitely not Minn State back then.

6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    So long as they don't become incredibly obnoxious like some of the UCF folks I know, I will be rooting for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Meanwhile......

The Argos game is on....
    Right now, they lead Minn. St 21-14 with almost 14:00 to go in the first half.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    38-21 UWF just scored right before half time, scored on all 6 drives. Quentin Randolph 9 targets, 8 catches for 241 yards, UWF single game record in only a half. UWF freshman QB has 399 yards passing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

At the opening of the 2nd half....the Argos caused yet another fumble at Minn/St was getting ready to score....

Still 38-21

2 times in a row, the Argos have caused a fumble inside the Minn, St. 3 yrd line...

The Argos had to make their 1st punt, and they revcovered the muffed catch...

10. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Third year in existence and the win a div ll natty
    HC going places
    Proud of the Argos

• Like Like x 1
  11. WhattaGator

And....
    The Argos held on to stop Minn. St. on 4th and 9 in the red zone..to win, 48-40..

Austin Reed passed for about 535 yards, with 6 TDs...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Congratulations to The University of West Florida! 4 years ago the dream of a football team finally came and winning a National Championship definitely was not in the conversation. But look what they went and did! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Their Campus has 600 acres of mountain bike trails ... so that pretty cool. I used to go Santos almost every weekend when I was at UF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Congrats to the Argos!!

They won it the right way!! No poll BS, BCS politics, no run up the score to look good.(Clem$on I'm lookin at you)
    Playoff football, 3 number 1 seeds, no home games as mentioned earlier.

That's a good football team!! F$U would not want a piece of them :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. WhattaGator

The Argos had about the most difficult road to travel to earn their Championship....

They were fairly large underdogs in their Championship run......
    They never had the luxury of playing a game at home...and they were at least 2 TD underdogs in their run....

They had to beat;......
    Then #4 Wingate...
    #1 overall Valdosta State
    #2 Ferris State...and finally...
    #4 Minnesota State...

They did it, all on the road, as underdogs, and broke records...

Great job, UWF!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Lots of Panhandle kids and Groveland kids.
    Plenty of talent right here in FL. Dan, build a fence from Miami to Pensacola!

18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    1. two national championship game appearances with a national title. 2. beat 4 unbeatens on way to title. 3. smashed nc game passing records. = west florida historic achievements in 4 seasons of existence. congrats argos.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Minnesota State was good, but West Florida was better as I predicted. JMHO, the game wasn't as close as the final score or the stat sheet:

UWF With Reed-iculous Win Over Minnesota State For National Title

Reed throws for 523, lifting West Fla. to D-II title

MSU was playing catchup from a huge deficit and UWF was playing prevent giving up chunks of yardage in the 4th quarter trying to burn the clock. It almost prevented the Argonauts from winning the game. Still, an 8 point win is fine by me as I'd have been happy with a win by any score.

There are reasons why I felt confident about UWF's chances going in:

1. I did watch a couple of MSU games. They are a fine team, but I thought they were beatable in their matchup with UWF. Nothing that happened on the field surprised me during the game. Both teams playing their best and UWF was just better. UWF won the turnover margin as they usually do, 48 turnovers in the last 52 games, but uncharacteristically shot themselves in the foot by doubling their penalties and yardage which extended MSU scoring drives and a botched punt after 2 consecutive penalties trying to just punt the ball that gave MSU an easy TD. UWF's 2 goal line stands proved to be big in the result too. The UWF defense stood tall when it mattered.

2. UWF was more battle tested beating pre-playoff ranked teams on the road:

16 at Wingate 38-17
    1 at Valdosta State 38-35 (Defending National Champion w/18 starters back)
    6 at Lenoir-Rhyne 43-38
    2 at Ferris State 28-14

3. Gulf South Conference is the best in D2 football. The team that gets through the gauntlet can usually compete against anyone in the nation. It took West Florida to eliminate Valdosta State who had a team perfectly capable of going back to back. The GSC has won a D2 best 11 national championships, 11-8 record. The next closest conference has 8 national championships. Three different GSC teams have played in the championship final over the last 4 years, 2-2 record. There have been 7 different GSC teams in the last 3 playoffs. The GSC is the SEC of D2 football.

4. Part of being battle tested is that UWF played the #1 Opponents Winning Percentage in the nation at 105-41 for a .719 winning percentage.

5. UWF is the only team in the history of D2 football to sweep 2 playoffs worth of road games going 8-0 in the process.

Going into the game, I was fairly confident in UWF's chances. Kudos to MSU for battling, but the best team brought home the trophy. I felt the same way 2 seasons back when a terrific Texas A&M Commerce team outshined UWF 37-27 in the final.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The 2019 final AFCA rankings:

DII Football Rankings - AFCA Coaches | NCAA.com

West Florida beat final ranked 2, 3, 4, and 5, all unbeaten at game time:

1. West Florida
    2. Minnesota State
    3. Ferris State