Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pool Patrol Paula

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jun 30, 2018.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sure, but one lane is much wider than the other. ;)
    EDIT: @mutz87 covered it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Are blacks not people?

Can’t rely on media coverage of single incidents to determine crime trends.

Yes, interracial crime is similar across race but not with hate crimes where whites are significantly more likely to engage in bias crimes against blacks.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Frequency or percentage? There are more white people. But I wonder how many white folks by percentage feel unwelcomed in black areas as compared to black folks in white areas?

I have no idea. Just curious if there is such data .You are far better versed on such things

• Like Like x 1
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Could it be because it was reported that she used racial slurs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Wonderful question, imho. Would actually require very long posts, but...to your first question, and not to get too in the weeds...

1. Inter-racial violent "person" victimizations (i.e. offender different race than victim) as a percentage of all incidents among blacks/whites only:

--White vic/Black offender is slightly higher than Black vic/White offender (12.7% to 9.1%)
    --However, there are about 4.5x as many White vics/Black offenders vs Black vics/White offenders (1.37m to 223k).
    --OTOH, relative to population size/rate, White vics/Black offenders are about 690 per 100k where Black vics/White offenders are about 600 per 100k.
    --Data for this comes from the NCVS.

2. Perceptions about "feeling unwelcome."

--This is a good one. It seems whites increasingly believe that anti-white discrimination is on the rise, but the evidence doesn't support this notion. i mean, it's harder to say about fuzzier things such as "feeling unwelcome" than more demonstrable incidents that might involve actual discrimination or criminality such as hate crime of some sort, which show significantly greater number of incidents going against blacks than whites (in 2015, e.g., according to FBI hate crime data, there were over 3x as many anti-black than anti-white hate crimes 1.9k to 613), not to mention numerous studies revealing anti-black biases.

--I'd add to this that there is no doubt among opposite race interactions, continued uncomfortability, particularly for whites in ways that might be different for blacks. Again, history informs us of this, but also because as minorities, blacks have had to navigate their lives differently. There is little concern for whites that they will be discriminated against personally and fewer whites with demonstrated experience as victims of anti-white discrimination (even if there is increased belief that it's happening). But for blacks, except where they live, they are more likely to be in the minority, often times the only one or one of only a few. And that dynamic matters greatly.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There's always some excuse from certain posters trying to rationalize why a clearly racist interaction wasn't actually racist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Is it because a person is of a different race or because the person clearly isn't from that area? For example, how accommodating would that neighborhood be if a rich person of the same race who wasn't from there went into the neighborhood?

BLM definitely gets called out for that, despite the fact that it's not the organization as a whole doing so. In fact, that's what's been used to vilify them by conservatives. It's as silly as blaming all Christians for David Koresh and his group of nuts.

8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Good question on the first paragraph, and I would agree on the second.

• Like Like x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    Hard to believe that it won’t.

10. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    My take here is that the woman was against teenagers. There may or may not have been a racial component. She saw teenagers doing what teenagers do and she thought they needed adult supervision. She thought she could be that adult. She was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    She's lucky that during her interaction with the police she was a white woman and not a black teenage male.

• Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    I think you’re probably right, but at this point the burden of proof is on her (in terms of the narrative) that her tirade wasn’t racially motivated. I note that she is accused of using racial epithets (the word “punk” does not fall into that category) but the video evidence does not support that. Basically, it comes down to this for me: You don’t hit someone else’s kid unless you’re clearly defending yourself. And she wasn’t. I’m sure she has her side to the story, and I’d be interested to hear what she has to say for herself, but the “why” of it all probably doesn’t matter so much.

13. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Yes we see the recording and we get the statement from the teen. Yet the recording shows no incident of racial slurs. We also do not have the woman's side of the story or the full police report.

No video or sound bite of racial slurs. Given how batty this woman appears to be and the anger she portrays I certainly would have expected to hear such slurs to support the claim. Secondly the video appears to be taken by the person being accosted, Would the teen edit out racial slurs? Highly doubtful. Is this a capture of the entire video or just a snip it. We do know who posted the video.

14. secgator

secgator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2007
    She was already going off at the first of the video--what happened prior that prompted the kid to turn on his phone to record? That could have been when the racial aspect kicked in(her starting it)--we simply don't know. Also, the kid could have aggravated her in some way to trigger her, but....with her aggressive attitude I would tend to doubt it as she simply comes across(to me anyway) as being a bossy, bitchy person as standard procedure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I actually agree with this--especially up North, East of the Miss. R., to the Coast.

Far, far, far more so than in the South, where cities like Atl, and New Orleans, are more black than white.

Can't really speak to West of the Miss, but the traditional Union States (perhaps sans NYC), talk their shit about racism, all the while preserving their enormous white areas, with the non-white areas essentially compartmentalized.

jmho/fwiw.

16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Never once been approached by a crack dealer? Never once?

17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Funny you should mention this. I had an assignment in the Parramore area in Orlando. The house was vacant, and the realtor told me I can go inspect it anytime and gave me the lock box code. When I got around to the back yard, I encountered two young gentlemen conducting an independent pharmaceutical business transaction (crack deal). I told the guys "don't mind me, I'm just the appraiser, I'll be here for about 10-15 more minutes and I'll be on my way". The fellas basically nodded and went about there business. No problems.

The other time was in Lake City. I was driving the neighborhood (east side Lake City) and came across another "transaction". I just nodded to them, they nodded back, and we went about our business. No problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Being a realtor myself, I go into bad areas all the time with investor clients and it's not unusual to get solicited with the "what you need" approach

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I must have been lucky then. Whenever I get assignments in "those" neighborhoods, I conduct myself accordingly. Basically, it's act like you belong there. One of my college buddies would go into "those" areas with a shirt and a tie driving a Benzo, and he got hassled with constantly. I told him "Jeff, you look like you're the man looking for Ray Ray or Peanut." Go there wearing jeans, sneakers, a wrinkled golf shirt and don't shave and you will have no problems. It worked. Go figure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    but it isn't just whites or blacks that are discriminated against. What I am saying is that groups of all races/cultures discriminate against groups of other races/cultures