Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pompeo blasts Obama in Egypt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You know what's even cooler than a top US official standing on foreign soil and criticizing former US presidents? When you have to resort to falsehoods to do it.

Pompeo Attacks Obama, Defends Trump, Fails at Both in Cairo Speech

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Thought it was an unwritten rule of American politicians and diplomacy that one did not criticize America or the President while overseas. Oh well, just another political norm violated. At least he had to lie in order to do so.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The Trump apology tour hosted by Pompeo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is what Pompeo said " He told you that 9/11 led my country to abandon its ideals, particularly in the Middle East. "

This is what the author Kaplan stated Obama said. "Nor did Obama say that 9/11 led the United States to abandon its ideals. Rather, he said that the attacks led some in my country to view Islam as inevitably hostile."

This is what Obama actually said. "The fear and anger that it provoked was understandable, but in some cases, it led us to act contrary to our ideals."

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    @MaceoP further down Obama also mentions exactly what Kaplan wrote.

"Today, America has a dual responsibility: to help Iraq forge a better future – and to leave Iraq to Iraqis. I have made it clear to the Iraqi people that we pursue no bases, and no claim on their territory or resources. Iraq's sovereignty is its own. That is why I ordered the removal of our combat brigades by next August. That is why we will honor our agreement with Iraq's democratically-elected government to remove combat troops from Iraqi cities by July, and to remove all our troops from Iraq by 2012. We will help Iraq train its Security Forces and develop its economy. But we will support a secure and united Iraq as a partner, and never as a patron.

And finally, just as America can never tolerate violence by extremists, we must never alter our principles. 9/11 was an enormous trauma to our country. The fear and anger that it provoked was understandable, but in some cases, it led us to act contrary to our ideals. We are taking concrete actions to change course. I have unequivocally prohibited the use of torture by the United States, and I have ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed by early next year.

So America will defend itself respectful of the sovereignty of nations and the rule of law. And we will do so in partnership with Muslim communities which are also threatened. The sooner the extremists are isolated and unwelcome in Muslim communities, the sooner we will all be safer."

"Violent extremists have exploited these tensions in a small but potent minority of Muslims. The attacks of September 11th, 2001 and the continued efforts of these extremists to engage in violence against civilians has led some in my country to view Islam as inevitably hostile not only to America and Western countries, but also to human rights. This has bred more fear and mistrust."

6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Semantics.. Acting contrary to your ideals is very similar to abandoning your ideals.

Kaplan is parsing words here, and Pompeo accurately portrayed what Obama said.

When Kaplan uses the word rather combined with nor did he say it, i can only conclude that kaplan is a hack apologist for obama.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    You are parsing words now that you were shown to be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kaplan is full of crap.. thats the bottom line.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting. Obama makes reference to a narrowly focused subgroup of undesirables and it gets translated and repeated by opponents as referring to whole groups of people. Sounds familiar.

10. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No, 'acting contrary' is not similar to 'abandoning'. Under your standard a Christian who acts is a non-Christian way has abandoned Christianity. A person who speaks badly about a Gator football team or player has abandoned being a Florida fan. A man who ogles an attractive woman has abandoned his marriage. Saying something is true doesn't make it true and what you said isn't true.

Okay...Kaplan has a PhD in political science from MIT, shared a Pulitzer Prize for writing on the nuclear arms race and has published multiple books on military strategy including an analysis of David Petraeus's counter-insurgency strategy in Afghanistan and Iraq. You're a guy on a message board who can't seem to distinguish between two different concepts. But Kaplan is the one full of crap. Riiiiight! :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Maybe he is, but you certainly did not demonstrate it with your earlier post.

12. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    More from the "alternative facts/truth is not truth/but Obama" gang...they are truly pathetic.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Excellent. Obama was against torture. You really blew the lid off semantics.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I read Kaplan's article. It's much more direct to read Obama's speech and see what he said rather than read an indirect interpretation of his speech from Kaplan, who obviously has a political agenda.

Torture and continuing to incarcerate in Gitmo, was not 'abandoning our ideals', but rather 'acting contrary to our ideals'. After 911, we continued to believe we shouldn't torture, but we did it anyway. It must have been an oversight.. And when Obama said we acted contrary to our ideals, he must have meant that waterboarding was done by accident, as we didn't 'abandon our ideals'. Got it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Criticizing us presidents in foreign soil.
    Just add it to the almost immeasurable list of things that are suddenly and amazingly excusable.

16. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wont be much debate here. Cons long for the days Obama was in office. Country was stable, economy was good, and you could complain about tan suits