Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Polyester

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Apr 27, 2019.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Coarse stuff. Cheap and useful, but clothing made of polyester threads is not as comfortable to wear as garments made of natural fibers.

Polyester fibers have been used in the manufacture of cheaper clothing lines for decades and with a chuckle I remember in particular one pair of 100% poly pants owned and worn buy an unnamed member of this family. After finally being rejected for their lack of style and worn condition they were tossed into a bag of clothing intended for donation and forgotten. Some years later, our daughter, who we at times fondly and mockingly refer to as a 'fashion nazi', found them when going through the bag looking for rags. She held them out with clear disdain and wondered aloud "how many polyesters had to die to make these pants?"

I think of this 5 days a week when I go for treatments at a local hospital where those ubiquitous open-in-the-back hospital blue gowns are supplied for patients. There are stacks of them in 2 different designs in each dressing room, a Tic Tac Toe printed pattern and a Pick Up Stick-like design. Pick Up Sticks are decidedly more comfortable than Tic Tac Toe and after checking the labels I discovered the unsurprising reason. A full 20% fewer polyesters had to die in their manufacture. Pick Up Sticks are hard to come by and disappear quickly early in the day. Others have also discovered they are more comfortable to wear as the stacks of them shrink more quickly than the stacks of the less comfortable Tic Tac Toe gowns. My daily 1:15 appointment makes it hit or miss as to whether or not I'll be playing Pick Up Sticks or Tic Tac Toe.

Like Joshua, the computer in the movie "War Games" that learned it couldn't win at Tic Tac Toe, I've never had much luck at winning when playing Tic Tac Toe. Joshua suggested "Chess" - I'll stick with Sticks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Best thing i’ve read today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Maybe you could bring you own, since you are ....unfortunately......a regular? Makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Need to bounce the idea off the techs.

5. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    I won’t completely disagree with you. I like me some loose fitting linen shirts during the summer. If you want to stay warm and dry, poly is the way to go. Maybe when you have time to play in the Colorado snow you can try some water proof poly gear. :)
    The PCU Protective Combat Uniform: A Buyer’s Guide and Clothing System History
    It’s what our finest girls and boys wear in the field. I was more than happy to shed my all cotton water holding gear recently. For home use, brushed cotton is so good.

6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Polyester has its uses, no doubt...

But the one thing I can't see is that majority of Law Enforcement Agencie's uniforms are made of polyester.

Wearing that, along with a kevlar vest and about 30 Lbs. of gear in the heat is NOT pleasant at all.

7. ElimiGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Poly is water proof and if worn as compression clothing, wicks water away from you, cooling you faster. Cotton threads actually hold water/sweat and will stay wet for hours. Sorry, I geeked out on this.

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I have family and frinds in law enforcement, and many of them detest polyester in the heat.

9. ElimiGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Educate them or slap some cotton on their butt!
    Edit: Makes sense though. Poly is better for active winter activities. Wet clothes makes you colder. The article i posted was geared for winter. I hunt so I needed something different than my old cotton stuff typically worn by NE Floridians. What do i know about cold weather gear. I consider myself educated now on the newest tech gear and it definitely works.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Don't forget polyester's use in some of the unsexiest men's attire ever, coaching shorts.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Seriously who thought that was a good look? :D

12. ElimiGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Hideous times. Same material used for every football jersey made today. Add golf and fishing to the list as well.