Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Poll: Would you go to a Gator football game vs. LSU if it was tomorrow?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by SJB612, Apr 17, 2020.

If there was a gator football game against LSU tomorrow, would you go?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Yes, but only if capacity was reduced to keep 6 ft apart

15 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. No

117 vote(s)
    53.9%
  1. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    That's fine as long as you don't care about the other people you come into contact with.
    Personally, if it was just me I'd be out and about at games also, but it's not. Wife, parents, grandkids, friends, all would be exposed. I'd feel terrible if one of those got the virus because of my selfishness. Just my opinion tho.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    First there's way to much hyperbole and politics by some on the issue.

California has very few cases and deaths as opposed to other states let alone countries so the post offered is very odd and illogical. Your post belongs in Too Hot and has no bearing on a football game in Florida.

So to the question at hand removing politics, fear, and illogic....
    With a mask, gloves, and distancing as much as possible.... Yes I would attend. If I showed up and none of these steps were being respected and enforced I'm leaving.

If your elderly, asthmatic, have lung issues, low immune, heart issues, obese we Do know that you do not attend please.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I tell ya I get no respect around here. I was watching my TV and some guy starts coughing during the show you see. Turns out the guy was getting his proctology exam and now I find out you can get the virus through the TV. I tell ya, I get no respect.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    It's all nuts right now. All I know is we have to get back to work. We can't sit on the sidelines forever. I just hope people follow the suggested protocol, wear masks respect other peoples space and do their best to assume they have it and can infect others.

So far everyone has been wrong about this virus, it is a fluid situation, we will learn more as times passes. Expect things to be whacked-out for a while. The unfortunate reality for all of our leaders is, we can't stay locked in forever. It appears the the most recent research has the numbers well below 1% on the death rate. That's good news, except for the pool souls that have lost their lives. They continue to test more and more folks that are asymptomatic and have had it. Some people are getting hammered by it. Unfortunately, us older folks will get hit the worst.

We'll see, they've opened some beaches in Florida. They'll probably start opening up some out here soon. Maybe...might take a month. Now, the parking lots are closed, can't park, you get a $1000. ticket if you're caught. My guess is it'll take till mid May before they acquiesce unless the general population starts speaking up. I heard they're surfing up in Pismo and maybe Ventura too, but the water is 61 here at Zuma, up there? Prolly 57 58! That's wet-suit with neoprene cap and an ice-cream headache water temp!

Be healthy, be respectful, wear masks. Give people some space...

If you're the praying type, pray. If not, I'll be praying for you.

I pray for my family, my extended family, my friends, the people of Cal, people in Fla, America, the world. I start focused, and go Macro!

Go Gators.;):D

• Like Like x 3
  5. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    LOL, yes it is a liberal shit show out here but I will give Newsome credit for one thing and one thing only and that was for shutting everything down back in early March. Most of the tree huggers are in northern California. I am in Orange County and I don't leave the county lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Hell to f no I won’t go.

I have a friend who’s husband has been in the ICU and on a respirator for three weeks now battling this disease. I get daily updates from them, and I am telling you, you don’t want this thing, and you don’t want to give it to someone else.

Over 1,000 new cases are still being reported in Fla every day. And that’s just what they’re reporting. Apparently the state is not recording the cases out of S Fla properly, so the numbers for our state could be much higher. Stay home, stay safe until we get this thing under control. Two more weeks and let’s hope we will be able to open some things up.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is the problem that people aren't getting. The virus doesn't have to transmit directly into a higher risk person from a lower risk person. It can transmit through an unlimited degree of indirect contacts.

For example, it's impossible to isolate completely because people still have to eat. So an elderly person will stay at home and might get their food delivered which is the safest way to do it. The delivery person might also stay at home because he knows he has contact with the elderly.

But maybe one of janitorial staff in the warehouse who doesn't have any direct contact with seniors goes to the game and gets the virus who then gives it to the delivery person (who remains asymptomatic) who then gives it to the elderly person.

That's how two people who did everything right and didn't go to the game can get the virus from the holding of the game. Multiple that times 85,000 people at the game and how many of them will have a 2nd, 3rd, or even a 4th degree of indirect contact with a higher risk person?

That's why the stay at home orders aren't 'stay at home if you're high risk', it's 'stay at home everybody'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    One thing people tend to ignore (NOT YOU, as evidenced by your complete post, much of which I cut short - sorry!), when looking at the numbers right now, is that perhaps the extreme measures of social distancing is working. Without it, the numbers might be devastating.

The question now is how long can we hang on living in shelter like this? That is an answer society needs to answer.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Could not agree more I just want 'society' to listen to the scientists

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    There are so many competing factors. There is a small percentage of the population at risk. They need to be protected. And the medical community needs time to ensure there are adequate resources to care for the small percentage.

But how much more time? At what cost? At what sacrifice?

We have an insurmountable debt load. People are not working. Without jobs, people -many of whom do not see her selves as “at risk,” cannot afford rent, food, healthcare, etc.

There is a breaking point. Society needs to eventually balance the science, the risks, and the uncertainty, with the known collateral damages (financial and mental) that are being suffered globally.

11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I agree with most of your post, maybe all, but in the end it comes down to who do you trust enough to make the decision.

Don't want to send this to THFSG :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well that's your problem right there. Just get rid of that nagging feeling and you're good to go. Look out for number one, man!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Legend

Dec 11, 2009
    All jokes aside, of course not. I think anyone here who has a functioning brain can understand the concept of being a vector of transmission and this not simply being the issue of you getting sick or not. If you cannot understand this concept, you are monumentally dumb.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I have no idea what board I’m posting on. Everything in my world has merged together.

I have no (well, maybe a small degree) intention of being controversial. But I do think these points are on topic of whether to go to a football game in this environment.

15. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    When not at the game yeah, I follow protocols. Social distancing, mask, etc. but I’d assume that everyone else at that game is not in a high risk group (elderly, pre existing conditions, poor immune system, etc). For me, not a single person I am close to is any of these categories.

in this sixm
    I get that, but in your six degrees of,Kevin bacon example, are the janitors and delivery folks wearing masks and gloves when working As they are supposed to? If so, then even if they did go to the game and catch it, it’s not likely they would pass it on to anyone under those circumstances. And if on the delivery end someone is the most riskiest categories (say elderly and with multiple pre existing conditions) are they getting contactless delivery? Do they allow items to sit for x hours to be safer so that anything that may have been compromised is cleared before touching? If so, then I don’t see how that person can be infected even if person A sits at a football game and catches Covid 19 and then returns to their normal day to day job or whatever. If everyone who is compromised is doing their utmost to protect themselves and everyone else (in this case the janitor and anyone else at that game) does their part to avoid the compromised or protect themselves while working or living in any way that could intersect with someone compromised, I don’t see the problem.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    You're dreaming. 15 days sitting at home is not long enough to have it "pass".

Nobody is catching it at the beach or jogging.

Old and high risk factors need to stay away and not go out. 80% that get it don't even know they have it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Umm...I don't think half this board is joking...they are dead serious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    AMEN

19. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe you could explain what is happening inside of nursing homes these days?

They are completely shut down except for essentials like food and medicine. Everyone walking in and out of those facilities are healthcare providers of some sort who completely trained on how to prevent exposure with every precaution being followed. And yet, the virus is still running rampant through those facilities.

Masks and everything else don't offer complete protection. That's why doctors and nurses are coming down with virus as well.

But somehow you think Joe Plumber isn't going to spread the disease after going to a football game with 85k others because he is wearing a mask??

If it was as simple as you say we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now because the virus would already be contained.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Don't forget the gloves. My SIL works at a facility (won't name) but the staff is wearing gloves for 12 straight hours. Eating, working, etc. And not washing the gloves during the day. That is a fundamental misunderstanding of how viruses are spread.

• Agree Agree x 4