Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Poll: Which would you rather have...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratefulGator, Aug 2, 2020.

Which would you rather have...

1. A truncated Fall football season (10 games) with no/limited crowds

36 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. A full regular Spring football season with full crowds?

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I'd rather have a full spring season with fans in attendance with a Covid vaccine.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    U forgot option 3. A truncated season in Fall where only people without pre existing serious conditions can attend or they have to sign a waiver and a full captivity. With the option of absolutely not attending if you don’t feel safe. Meaning people actually be able to make their own decisions while also informing them if they live with elderly they probably should not attend.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unless the NFL moves the draft, which they already said they wouldn't, then we would likely lose every Sr and a ton of Jrs to the draft before the Spring season got underway. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you play then play the full season. All people vulnerable to COVID-19 stay home... problem solved.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    You just described our coaching staff, and staffs even less "healthy" than ours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I'd rather get through 2020 and see where things are shaking out, which means maybe nothing for a year or two. I guess it just doesn't matter so much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Except those are adults who have the option to choose whether to take the risk in return for the reward of their inflated salaries, or not. Dan Mullen has already told his team that he hopes they play, so, he has obviously already made that personal decision for himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    My point being that there are so many elderly and overweight coaches, don't be surprised if the season ends after only a few weeks... because as soon as (God forbid) the 1st one that contracts it passes, it's all over. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I've actually never understood why there are so many unhealthy people coaching athletics and encouraging athletes to achieve good conditioning. Remember Charlie Weiss? Couldn't even manage to walk onto the field during practice at the end, much less teach skills in action.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    It is quite possible the coronavirus situation is worse in the spring given how things are going. Even if a vaccine is found, vaccine production is not like most other drugs where you just start mixing up the chemicals and churning out mass quantities. It takes time with traditional vaccine production methods and is not as easy to scale up.

So I'm not sure we should count on the spring allowing for any better possibilities -- it would be highly presumptuous of us to assume things will be better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    True, it's primarily a big man's sport; and once it's over, staying fit is a challenge for most. I think it was Brad Culpepper that used to speak out about that a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I believe we may have peaked nationally and in Florida a couple of weeks ago, and have actually begun what could be a slow, but, steady downward trend in cases and serious outcomes, with some lesser oscillations in the curve. The delay-train may prove to have too much momentum to stop by then, but, I am going to go out on a limb and predict there will be empty-stand football games in September, and, in October or Novemeber, we will see games with 15,000 fans. Whether team cases flare and game cancellations prove too much to continue through the season is not something I'm ready to even guess about, though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 Senior

Oct 9, 2011
    I chose the truncated season, because this will not be over by spring (getting to herd immunity is all about area under the curve and our current 'management' tactics are just drawing it all out), so will most likely not get a full season by waiting. All we will end up doing is waiting for the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I sure do hope you are right sir.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    What? Do you really think that Covid peaked in Florida a "couple of weeks ago?"
    Do you look at the statistics at all or are you just wingin' it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    You didn't list this as a choice but.....

Choice #2 - but starting on time - this year - with full stadium. First game Sept. 5.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly, even the pro sports athletes that get COVI-19 are not even being hospitalized. College athletes are even better off being younger and less likely to need more than one of several therapeutics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Predictions on the course of the virus have been all over the lot so far and I don't feel optimistic about a vaccine being available to the general populace anytime soon, the NBA bubble just isn't feasible for 150 college players, coaches and support staff, MLB's plan is leaking like a sieve already and when students come back to campuses all across the country I expect the number will go up. If there is a season I think most administrations will put a premium on social distancing that results in 20% fans if any, how they solve the tailgating fans who can't come in to the stadium is a mystery to me.

I think what we do have going for us that gives us a leg up long range is an AD who is pretty smart and sensitive to student safety and a Coach who thinks about more than the next win or game, I don't know where Fuchs is at in all this stuff but I have seen no evidence he is a risk taker. I will be surprised if we have a season at all and I think that is better than starting up and then having to close it down. just my 2 cents plain

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I do, too. Prayerfully optimistic. Cheers right back at you, man.

20. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Scroll down to the Daily New Cases in Florida graph in this link for Florida. The peak was July 12th. The Daily New Deaths in Florida are there lower down in another graph, too, but, remember, deaths are delayed by at least a couple of weeks from cases, so that tracks, too. Just looking at the data. I can't predict what happens next any more than the next guy, but, I see a glimmer of hope in this data. No wingin' it.

Florida Coronavirus: 491,884 Cases and 7,157 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

For the US, here's the same data:

United States Coronavirus: 4,864,222 Cases and 159,001 Deaths - Worldometer

The peak in daily new cases per that graph looks like July 24th.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM