Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Poll: When you remember Kobe Bryant, what number will you remember?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Feb 3, 2020.

#8 or #24?

1. 8

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 24

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Can't choose

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    RIP to one of the greatest legends of all time. Thanks Kobe for all of the memories. I was just curious what number you guys would remember Kobe by. #8 or #24 or you can't make up your mind... maybe he actually was just too nasty for too long to really think of Kobe one way or the other.

I personally will remember him as #8... That was just the age range where I fell in love with basketball... and those were my favorite Lakers teams with Shaq...

Let me know your thoughts ladies and gentlemen. Again, RIP to one of the greatest legends in basketball history... There will never be another Kobe Bryant...

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not a fan of Kobe, but the number I will remember is 81. Just unbelievable for the modern era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't think anyone will ever score as much as 81 again... Dude was an absolute monster...

Still can't believe he's gone...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorryder

Gatorryder GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When it comes to professional athletes I remember names not numbers except for #13, Dan Marino and # 7, Mickey Mantel. Thought I remembered Roger Maris, but I was wrong. I didn't know either of Kobe's jersey numbers until he passed.

5. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I didn’t even know he switched to 24

6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

7. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    #8 was the young, athletic explosive scorer, #24 was a seasoned, highly-skilled veteran. I lean towards #8

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    To me, it's almost like I prefer where Kobe was in his career at #24...

It's just nostalgia goggles... When Kobe was #8 is when I loved basketball the most and when I loved watching the Lakers the most...

That's not to say he was better on the front end of his career or the backend... It's actually kind of hard to say... I know the 81-point game was as #8...

• Like Like x 1
  9. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    2009 Finals vs the Magic, Kobe was an unstoppable force along with Pau Gasol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I prefer to remember him as the man who brought his daughter to WNBA and NBA games. Although it was tragic that he died in a helicopter crash, I admire the dedication to his daughter’s sports that compelled him to use a helicopter. No jersey number. Just a title of “dad”.

11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I won't remember him, at least to point to know what number he wore. Bryant never had any bearing in my life to remember that kind of detail.

• Like Like x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    Yeah both were amazing players. #24 was a more mature player, both on and off the court. He willed his team to 2 championships....#8 was fiery and hard-headed and went on some epic scoring streaks...he wore #8 when he scored 81, but when he went on that ridiculous streak of 50-point games he wore #24.

13. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Didn’t even know he had two numbers (why?) so don’t care. Love college hoops, never watch nba.

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm not the biggest Kobe fan or basketball fan (anymore), so if someone wants to correct me, by all means...

But it was sort of like a "fresh start" deal... He dealt with a lot of things during the first half of his career... Given that the man just died, I'm not going to go in depth on all of the things he was going through, you can look them up if you're interested... But he was scrutinized for allegedly needing the most dominating force in NBA history to win anything meaningful.

#24 was about leaving the past in the past... Proving he can win without Shaq, reinventing himself as he ages, maturing into a better man in every sense of the word, and maintaining himself as the best basketball player in the world even when he wasn't as athletic as he once was...

He succeeded... special man... special player... inspirational story...

15. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    No. 8. I remember staying up late to watch the kid's debut in the purple and gold. Good times. Not quite Showtime, but close.

• Like Like x 2
  16. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Yeah I don't personally know the guy either, so not sure why I'd remember him more so than other people I don't know.

17. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Kobe was a great player, no doubt. But when I think of the basketball player, I can't help but think Krybaby Kobe!

That dude whined more than anyone about getting a foul called on him or if he thought he didn't get a call in his favor. I mean he would look at the refs as if to say "I'm Kobe f'n Bryant! Don't you know that I never commit a foul and any opposing player within 3 feet of me has fouled me!"

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Daniel Tosh:
    The first thing Michael Phelps should have done when that photo came out was call Kobe Bryant's publicist. Cuz Kobe was accused of rape, and all he had to do was settle in court for millions of dollars, change his jersey number and win a championship and that soulless town in LA couldn't be prouder. I just hope that when parents let their kids run around in #24 jerseys, they have the decency to say: 'well come on, number 8 was the rapist.'

19. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    And why is this on the football message board?