Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Poll: Nearly half of California voters say they can't afford living in the state

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Feb 7, 2019.

1. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Love the Bay area and love SD area. I've lived outside of LA for the last 4 plus years...moved from the east coast. Much to love out here, but it's been tougher for us for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with our family situation. But the one thing that I've been okay with is our property taxes per se, despite experiencing a similar situation as you and despite living in a county in the top quarter of all CA counties in terms of property taxes. We pay about 4x that of the previous owner who had bought the house in the early 80s, yet our taxes are roughly the same as they were in VA despite paying 100k more for our CA house. They are roughly the same sqft, though we had 2x as much land in VA. Relatively speaking, not so bad.

*We also made sure not to buy a house in an HOA hood or where Mellow Roos tax applied.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    And now, Atlanta
    I'm flying back from an interview in san jose right now.

My math says 130k id roughly equiv to 85k in Orlando.

I can't fathom how people in the service industry can afford anything.

3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My daughter has lived in the SF area for almost three years and has had it. Housing is too expensive and her commute is too long. She wants to move to LA.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Drive around Sunnyvale and Mountain View and look at all the tiny ranch houses with two or three cars parked in the yard along with the two in the driveway. I think that's where the service industry people live.

5. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco Requires Poop Maps To Help Pedestrians Avoid Human Waste
    San Francisco Requires Poop Maps To Help Pedestrians Avoid Human Waste
    For those who have maintained that San Francisco is full of . . . whatever, there is now living proof. How much poop is there on the streets of the City by the Bay?

Would you believe there is an online map to track human feces on the city’s streets? There is.

According to Fox News, one area of the city reported a 140% rise in feces. As Jay Caruso of RedState noted, “Public urination is so widespread it has damaged subway elevators and escalators, building walls and power poles.”

Outbreak Of Typhus In Los Angeles Spreads To City Hall – May Have To Remove All Carpets From Building – USSA News | The Tea Party's Front Page
    Los Angeles has a homeless problem, which led to a rodent problem, and now they have a typhus problem. In fact, it has gotten so bad that city hall has now been affected and the carpets may have to be removed from the massive building.

San Diego Washing Streets With Bleach To Combat Hepatitis A Outbreak
    San Diego Washing Streets With Bleach To Combat Hepatitis A Outbreak
    San Diego has started washing its downtown streets with bleach in an effort to combat an outbreak of hepatitis A that has killed at least 15 people and infected nearly 400.

The infectious disease has largely infected homeless people in the coastal California city, and part of the issue is an apparent shortage of public restrooms in areas where the population congregates.

Ignored Trash Piles, Rats Could Be Causing Typhus Outbreak
    LA Ignores Piles of Trash and Rats That Could Be Causing Typhus OutBreak
    For months rat-infested trash has been piling up on Ceres Avenue, a street that connects downtown LA's bustling produce and garment districts. Now, health officials say accumulations of trash like this could be a cause of an outbreak of the bacterial disease typhus.

Like I said Dumps, I was in California this summer with my family, trash along the highways, drug problems, poop in San Francisco was horrible in areas, down town LA reeked from urine. Decided against San Diego because of the Hepatits issues.
    Once we got out of the cities, California was awesome, I could have spent weeks exploring.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Big city problems. Not Cali specific.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Atlanta homeless population: Metro among neediest cities in America

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I think these examples of big city issues points more to the disparity of income/wealth among Americans and lack access to mental health resources more than anything. SF is a great city and if I had the means I would have one of my homes there. Also NYC, and ranch in Wyoming on a trout stream ........

9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Cities and states can thrive and fail despite government and their policies. If you give full credit to the Democrats for San Francisco, then you would have to give them full credit for Detroit. What is the big difference in those two cities? I give credit for San Francisco's s success mostly to Steve Jobs and some others that located the world's tech hub there. The economy has been booming in that state since the gold rush really and especially during WW2 when there was a lot of war production. You also had a lot of people drawn there for the weather, coastline and stuff like the movie industry over the years. All those people made it go, not the government.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Big city problems happen regardless of political affiliation of the majority of the residents. Phoenix proper may have had a D Mayor recently, but the metro area is solid red. And has been for generations. Think Barry Goldwater. Yet Phoenix has a lot of the same homeless problems as California.

Like any large cities, the big CA cities have areas you only go to in daylight, and areas you avoid completely. Take San Diego, for example. Love the Zip Balboa Park area, but not a place we go to after dark when we're visit. Bit Coronado Island is a place we'd never leave if we could afford it!

And service people in the Bay area? They live with roommates in the S Bay area bungalows if they can afford it. If not, Oakland has some less expensive areas, that in general, are places we avoid.

11. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't realize that the homeless was pooping and urinating in the streets of Phoenix. They also have a Hepatitis A and Typhus Outbreak?

12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Most of the homeless in Phoenix tend to congregate in camps and tents. During the day, there are usually restrooms open at parks or other public facilities. At night, the homeless go in alleys or dry washes around the city. Again, places I avoid, especially at night. But occasionally, if I'm downtown at night for a baseball game, basketball game, or show, and the wind blows the wrong direction, the stench isn't pleasant.

As for disease outbreaks, Phoenix is much larger geographically speaking than San Diego. SD has the ocean on one side, and mountains on the other, and is a relatively small valley compared to LA and Phoenix. Allows the homeless to be a bit more spread out, which slows down the spread of disease. For example, in SD, the homeless only has about 2 places to congregate. In Phoenix, you find homeless camps in several areas, plus a few camps in neighboring suburbs like Tempe in the east, and Glendale to the west.

13. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They should do like Gainesville has, send out to NE Gainesville by the jail so nobody can see them. Except for those that get up each morning(kind of like us when we go to work) to report to each street corner to collect beer and drug money

14. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    For such a small town, Gainesville does have a lot of panhandlers and the number seems to increase as weather turns colder up north. I see fewer during the steaming summer months. A good many of the younger scruffier panhandlers may be headed to the Rainbow Family gathering in Ocala National Forest that happens every winter ~ February that attracts 1-2 thousand and lasts for several weeks. I used to run into them on the regular when I was doing work in Ocala Forest. Very smelly boys and girls.

Ocala Rainbow Gathering 2019 | Squat the Planet
    hope the shit trench is being dug close to the kitchen this year. Last time I went I didn't get enough fecal matter in my lentils and to be honest I was disappointed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    The education infrastructure in CA plays a big part in the growth of the tech industry there. 9 of the top 50 engineering schools are in CA, including 3 in the top 5. That's not a coincidence. There is a huge public support for education there. That's in contrast to say, Florida, where public support is marginal at best and our schools (aside from UF) are consequently marginal on the national level.

Why aren't any of the major tech companies here? It's not because Steve Jobs happened to be from California. It's because California invested in creating the infrastructure necessary to help companies like Apple thrive, while Florida has invested in largely nothing besides being an attractive destination for tourists and retirees.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Partially, but most of these companies recruit nationally so local talent isn't as a big a deal. People move there to be a part of Silicon Valley. But yeah, HP was spun out of Stanford in an effort to promote engineering in the region originally. The consumer computing and electronics ended up in California precisely because Steve Jobs was from there the same way that Seattle has a thriving tech industry because Bill Gates set up shop there. UW is a good school, but WSU and the rest are pretty much garbage. As far as education goes, that lagged the development of the industry as it usually does in education.

17. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    It's much easier to attract top talent when you're at least close to the area the talent is from and went to school. That's why Amazon picked NYC for its second HQ rather than a super low cost place like Tampa. Proximity to top talent.

Disagree that education lagged industry. There's definitely some feedback, but CA's deliberate investment in their education at all levels is a big reason why tech companies grow and stay in mega high cost CA, NY, etc. instead of moving to or starting in the low cost South or midwest. Even Texas has it right in investing in education and pulling in at least something of a tech sector as a result.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They have closed hogtown creek in several times already due to the fecal found in the water, pretty gross

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    The good things in the city are pure luck.
    The bad things in a city are pure mismanagement.

See this idea floated time and time again on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I agree it's generally a draw, but not the reason why the tech sector set up in California. We are talking the 80s and 90s when tech became big there, not today. There were some original entrepreneurs that gravitated there either because they were from there or because the industry was growing there. Jobs could of just as easily set up in the research triangle in NC or Gates near Harvard and MIT where he went to school. The California school system helps feed the demand, especially for the lower end players. But the core group of Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc don't really care where their employees went to school as they are drawing the best and the brightest from around the country and even abroad.