Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Political correctness takes down John Gruden..

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The standard for "proper appearance" in a courtroom and a judge is quite different from the standard of a football coach.

But then again, standards are also different in the corporate world from the athletic world, which is why I brought up the Doncic case because that was a more apples to apples comparison. I reject the relevance of the distinction you make for this case that Gruden is a coach because his comments really are not evidence of prejudicial treatment of players. This would really be more akin to character evidence that prejudices Gruden because nobody has successfully tied Gruden's private comments with any prejudicial treatment. They're just using the comments as a way to draw this sort of hindsight scrutiny to every decision he's made throughout his career, which again, is a dangerous standard to set in the coaching world.

It's for this sort of reason I think every coach should now have their emails and text messages released so we can see how many hold up against this standard. My guess is honestly not many.

2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm game for finding out. Let's leak every coach's emails and text messages.

3. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I understand your position and I think I’ve made mine clear, so I won’t belabor this anymore as there’s no need to repeat what I said. I tend to disagree with your argument for the reasons I noted. But I enjoyed the discussion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    It was a lack of common sense and sheer arrogance that brought Jon Gruden down. To send out those emails was just stupid. It’s almost like he was looking for trouble and he found it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone told me once to never put anything in writing that you don't want everyone in the world to read. I have passed this on to my children as they post frequently on facebook and twitter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    It's crazy how many people think their emails/texts are private. Once you press that send button it's never coming back. Act accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    And they are the first thing lawyers seek out in any lawsuit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The worst part of it for me is Gruden's attitudes towards player safety and concussions. Just total arrogance there from a guy who never played in the NFL. Given all we know about the longterm impact of concussions, Gruden has no business being a coach at any level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gruden got what he deserved. But the NFL is so hypocritical. The Bucs take Gruden out of their Ring of Honor while at the same time have solid citizens on their roster like Antonio Brown and Richard Sherman, who both have serious domestic violence histories.

10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    And neither of them will be in the Bucs Ring of Honor, just like Gruden