Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police shoot and kill another guy in his own home ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Mar 7, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Might have been a swatting type thing, some unknown person reported a break in at this house, when a cop arrived he let himself in, did not announce himself as a police officer, was shinning his light in the resident's face so they probably couldn't see he was a cop, and when the person retreated, the cop shot him dead ... it was maybe 3 or 4 seconds after the cop walked into the house ...

I saw a very similar video just yesterday where a cop didn't announce himself and was shinning his light in a guy's face and yelling orders at him which he didn't respond to, but thankfully that guy wasn't shot, and when things calmed down the citizen tried to explain that cop never said he was a cop and couldn't see he was a cop because of the light in his eyes, and the cop was a total dick about it and acted like the guy was lying ...

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    most cops don’t have the mental acuity or emotional IQ or temperament for the job. This guy should never have been given a gun. My reasonable suggestion is to partially disarm the police force. No armored vehicles bazooks, machine guns and whatever military kit they’re play acting with. New cops get a Tazer and a partner for 1 year before getting a gun, and only after reviewing their job and a full psych work up. People joining from the military get increased scrutiny.

As for this clown he needs to cool his heels in general pop for at least 20 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Most cops eh? Based on what statistical analysis?
    I am trying to remember what it’s called when an entire group of people is negatively judged by the actions of a few. It will come to me.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    Very slight exaggeration. Maybe 30%. My disarmament plan is much needed.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, based on what?
    Let me go another route, if you had to guess, what percentage of police interactions result in an unarmed person being shot and killed? Because that’s what this thread is about. And without giving the answer, I will save everyone the time, yes one is too many.

But it’s roughly one in a million. Your odds of being an unarmed person killed by the police are roughly the same odds as being struck by lighnting.

But that doesn’t sell papers or generate clicks. So here we are.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    You’re wasting your time with these two.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    Take out everyone who’s middle class or higher. What’s the %? They don’t do their Rambo act on people with any means. My disarmament plan is a step to better policing

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I would wager it is very, very teeny but their victims aren't a percent dead. They are 100% dead. The teeny matters.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In the last year I saw numbers for, there were “only” 93 such cases among everyone. And 29 percent of all people identify as being below middle class. So even if every one of them was in that group, it’s still around 1/300k.

There are legitimate concerns with policing, especially with a small number of bad officers who aren’t disciplined, or departments like MSP that clearly had issues. But that’s where the focus should be instead of turning to stereotyping 700k people based on a few YouTube videos or isolated cases. It’s literally everything liberals have accused republicans of for decades -fear or anecdotally driven positions not based in reality.
    It’s one of the reasons Dems can’t win layup elections nationally like they should. But the narrative doesn’t seem to change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    If you want to compare it to Republican fear mongering, these types of shooting are probably about as rare as voter fraud but voter fraud doesn't leave people dead. And when voter fraud is caught, the people face consequences. Cops get "qualified immunity" and it's rare for a cop to get convicted, even in a case like this, because "I was scared" or "my training teaches that my safety is most important" seems to be a valid excuse for everything these days. I start these threads because things need to change, and cops need more accountability and better training. They can start by teaching cops that we can't see who they are or if they have their guns drawn when they are pointing their flashlights at our eyes ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    My disarmament plan is slightly different......I say we disarm the criminal types.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not justifying or rationalizing these incidents, of course anything over zero is bad. But how bad is training when it happens one out of every million interactions?
    When you have 700k officers nationally, if .0015 percent of them are bad or poorly trained, you get the numbers for incidents like what you posted. How reasonable is it to do better than that in any training endeavor, even when rightfully striving for zero?
    Bad cops being protected by their departments or specific bad departments generally is the much bigger issue IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sounds about right. These cops will be dead ass wrong and then they’ll arrogantly act like they weren’t at fault.

Not to derail but it reminds me of a recent incident where a guy was accused by his employer of stealing an item, and the cops barged in and arrested him without providing any explanation of why he was being detained. Then when the employer found the missing item a few minutes later, the cops sheepishly let the man go and acted like they didn’t just terribly violate his rights.

Fortunately for this guy, he didn’t lose his life over the bumbling, stumbling cop’s incompetence like the victim in the OP did.

14. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    I'm almost with you on that but we need to disarm the population. Can’t do it with taking guns. My reasonable plan? Everyone gets 25 rounds a year an la the Israeli model. enough for a Glock shoot out with bandits and some rounds left over to shoot Bambi. Unlimited purchases at the range for target shooting but the rounds stay there. It would probably take a decade for the nutter to run out of ammo.

We’re a homicidal lot though so that unfortunately won’t happen.

15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    100% agreement.

Please explain how you would go about that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don’t think comparing it to all “interactions” (which are probably mostly routine traffic stops) is valid. comparing it to interactions where cops have a reason to believe there is immediate danger - real or imaginary - would be a better indication of how well they are trained. It would be hard to quantify, but if you look only at cases where cops felt the need to draw their gun, for example, I bet the 1 in a million drops fast.

Also, if only 0.0015% of cops make bad decisions under stress, then it’s time to end qualified immunity and let that 0.0015% face the consequences of being severely bad outliers of law enforcement quality.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Small number of bad officers? How would you define bad?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I had a cop enter my house without announcing himself. I didn't know he was in the house till I saw him in the hallway, aiming his revolver at my head.

I had accidentally set off the security alarm. I turned it off, and after several minutes of no contact I didn't think any more about it. I'm probably lucky that I was later able to think any more at all.

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You could apply the "statistically unlikely" argument to mass shootings too (as well as almost all violent crime, including ones where cops are killed or wounded), is that an argument for whistling past the grave yard or defunding police? I mean the governor of one of the biggest states called up the national guard and basically shat on the highly unlikely possibility you'd be the victim of a crime on the NY subway.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I would start by enforcing the laws on the books now and cracking down hard on any criminal that uses a gun in any law-breaking stunt. I don't think we arrest, hold and prosecute harshly enough, so many of these criminals realize they will be back out in a few hours. If you are or I have an arrest warrant out on us, we probably be very nervous, or turn ourselves in to try and figure out what is going on. So many of these criminals almost look at it as badge of honor and doesn't hardly affect their day-to-day life. But let's do what we already can before we add more layers to it.