Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police in Ohio drag paraplegic man out of his car

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 11, 2021.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Can't say I agree. At all.

2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    True, we've seen Rudy Giuliani in action.

3. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...0210713-sqxumepu4jca3mhhuo2ij2k424-story.html

Zachary Wester, 28, was convicted in May on 19 charges related to the three incidents that occurred while he worked for the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office from 2016 to 2018. Wester was fired amid the investigation, and prosecutors in the panhandle county dropped 119 cases he was involved in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I am not saying all cops are planting evidence but until good cops start outing bad cops how can anyone rational person trust anything they say. The blue wall where cops don't turn in bad cops makes all cops bad cops.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    It might be nice to look at the full context of the arrest before jumping to conclusions.

In the footage, after police try to stop him,
    Owensby says: "I'm paraplegic. I got help getting in."
    "Well, I'll help you get out," the officer replies.
    "Well, I don't think that's going to happen, sir," Owensby says.
    "I'm asking you but I'm telling you, so it's not an option," the officer said.

The officer tells Owensby that due to his history, which includes drug and weapons charges, they are going to get a police dog to smell the vehicle and Owensby must exit the car.
    Owensby resists and sends a message to someone on his phone and threatens to bring a lawsuit if the police officer touches him for no reason.
    "We going to get some people here who are about to witness what is going on," Owensby says.
    He continues to resist and makes a call to get someone to come down to the scene and record the incident.

After more arguing, the police drag him out of the car by his dreadlocks, while Owensby repeatedly shouts "somebody help!" and the police repeatedly shout "stop" and "you're making it so much harder than it has to be."
    Owensby said he was injured from the incident, having sustained scrapes from the sidewalk and is still in pain. After he was yanked from his vehicle, he was handcuffed by police who then placed him into the back of their car.

In 2015, Owensby was called to court on drug abuse, hidden compartments/vehicle, weapons under disability, firearms in motor vehicle, as well speed charges, according to the Springfield News Sun.
    Disabled black man dragged out of car by police

6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    No, not bullshit. I could write a book about the drug exploits and culture at my U in the 1990s and how many of those that I knew were involved in drugs during that time went on to be professionals including at all levels of law enforcement. This includes many I was and am still close to and went beyond alcohol abuse and marijuana. Mainly cocaine, but also ecstasy, mushrooms and acid, PCP, and ritalin (*diet coke*).

I remember your writing about folks in your family having drug issues. I'm not calling you out about it or denigrating your family, but I wonder why given what you've written in the past, you would think this is bullshit?

7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Dog sniffs aren’t searches within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. However, properly trained drug dogs are highly limited. But frankly, the easiest way to get into a car is for a cop to say that he smelled marijuana emanating from the vehicle. It’s the “plain smell” test, which establishes PC and, because cars are really boats (yes, I know…Carroll v US), an officer with PC doesn’t need a warrant.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    What I referred to as Bull Shit was the last line of your post. Since you seem to recall posts about my own family maybe you will remember my post about my brother in law (wifes brother) who was shot through the heart during a burglary. He was un-armed, and Oh by the way he was white.

You do bad things you are going to be stopped. You dress like a thug and act like a thug you are going to be treated like a thug (the cops have a right to look after their own lives). The police are no more likely to mistreat a black man misbehaving in a dress shirt and pants than they are to mistreat a white man in a dress shirt. The police have a job to do and if you act like a thug you are going to be perceived to be a threat and will be treated accordingly.

9. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    The research does not support this point.

Police Researcher: Officers Have Similar Biases Regardless Of Race

Interestingly, even the race of the police officer does not seem to change the implicit bias officers have regarding race, which I personally found surprising.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Saying police have a right to protect themselves is saing something that literally no one disagrees with, but being able to protect themselves and using force against people when it's not justified or when not necessary is something police have long had a problem with. People are used to it because they don't ever see it happening to them, it's just some "other" (thug) that deserves it. But that's not what we should expect in a free society. But here we are with people screaming about freedom from alleged abusive govt, yet being a ok with police violence.

By the way, what does a thug dress like?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Police have largely bought into the questionable theories about humans and deterring or reduce crime, which were fed to them back in the 1980s--think broken windows and drug war *get tough* policing. And since this focused so much of this effort was directed at poor*minority communities, they've come to think such communities as being nothing but full of criminals. Thus labeled, treatment flows from there.

13. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I could conceive other possible explanations, but I know better than to criminologsplain here. This is your expertise, not mine.

14. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'd probably agree with other explanations too. :)

15. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Do you really have to ask that? Let's say you are at a nightclub and step out back for some fresh air. In the alley are 3 clean cut guys in business suits talking. Does the thought of getting mugged cross your mind? Same scenario except the guys are wearing their pants 5 inches below their waist with their boxers pulled up and a backwards baseball cap or maybe a bandana. Throw in a few tattoos and a few piercings. Now do you still feel not intimidated?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So now we know what Gator515151 is afraid of...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    You’re gonna go far, kid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Oh, wait, no, he said there were 3 of them.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    So you are a police officer, you walk up to a car who's driver has at least one previous drug and firearm arrest. You ask the man to get out, he refuses. I don't care if he is a paraplegic. At this point you have to wonder if you are in a safe position. Now he takes out his cell phone and starts calling friends to come. I would have never given him this chance, how do you know he isn't calling one or more armed friends (note I didn't call them thugs). You offer to help him get out but he wants to stay in his car. At this point I am drawing my weapon because the guy has escalated the situation into a dangerous situation for everybody in the area.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Thugs come in all shapes and sizes and colors and style of dress.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1