Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Please governors..tell Trump to shut up regarding church openings!

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, May 22, 2020.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    If this were about a Gator Football game instead of church I bet most of the people here would agree every 3rd seat is fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are so wrong, it would be every other seat......:cool::cool:

3. Tjgators

Tjgators VIP Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a dictator. One Nation Under God.

4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    3 seats equal one regular seat in the Swamp

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    wait, I thought we're supposed to stand up the whole game so why do we need seats?

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Nope. Having fans at all would probably be a mistake IMO, though there's still several months to make that call. Makes sense to proceed as normal now, but with multiple contingency fans for partial or no fan presence.

The way I see it, doing stupid stuff now jeopardizes the re-opening, including sports. The way I'm feeling this stuff now, it's almost like when we saw those returning American travelers coming from abroad and queued up in a crowded O'Hair International airport. At that moment the decisions from the top were so incompetent it was like they were trying to maximize the virus and cause death. Trying to force churches open and actively encourage people to defiantly go against public health, is basically the same thing.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

1st problem, there is no god.

2nd problem, "one nation under god" is not something that appears anywhere in our founding documents. It has absolutely nothing to do with our government, which allows for complete individual freedom for religious expression (pretty much the opposite of "one nation under god"). What you reference is the pledge of allegiance, and the "under god" was added in 1954. Apparently this was an excellent brainwashing tool for the youngins who grew up reciting it.

Adolf would be proud.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    So all the government has to do is go through the message boards and track down everyone who is anti-church. Perfect.
    Then what, burning at the stake?

9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No question.

10. tilly

Link?

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There's a bit of an irony. The President's action is most detrimental to the church goers who listen to him, not to the non-believers who would be largely unaffected or to the religious folks who take a more responsible approach. Yes, I know some people are concerned with their spiritual well being, and some may even think this is somehow more important than their physical well being. I, of course don't believe that one bit. But that is a person's right in this country (at least insofar as they aren't an actual danger to public health or committing crimes in the name of their god). But in terms of their physical being, people who listen to this guy are actually putting their health on the line as well as their entire community's public health. Do they actually think Trump cares one iota about their spiritual well being? He cares about his personal interests, his election, his "fame", that's it. Full stop.

I tend to think we are ALL effected by bad governments. Even watching what is starting to happen in Brazil, indirectly and on some level, that's probably bad for us too.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    This is Trump's ace in the hole. He'll win the evangelical vote again, and he's getting ready to paint the Democrats as totalitarian despots as we roll into November. And he'll win because he is right.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Pandering to evangelicals is one of the things that got him elected the 1st time. But this time he's actually playing with their lives.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    People can decide for themselves what needs to be done for their own protection. The government's role should be to inform the people so we can protect ourselves. It is totalitarian and despotic for the government to outlaw religious gatherings because they are not essential according to the government. If religious gathering is essential according to a religion, then human rights dictate that gathering should not be outlawed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Depends on the situation.

I get there are "conflicts" between essential vs non-essential. Sometimes it doesn't make sense. As a non-drinker, obviously I wouldn't think "liquor stores" are essential. Yet, obviously other people think differently. Michigan had the odd deal where the state barred residents from traveling inside Michigan to their vacation homes, but somehow people from Ohio could travel to their Michigan vacation home. Did this make sense? Not particularly. I'm sure we can point to dozens of conflicts, where there is an inequity created by some odd public health decision here or there. I think most of these decisions have good intentions, and maybe there was some flawed reasoning involved.

A church should be free to operate under "social distancing" guidelines, not forced to bar their doors closed. However, they should be expected to abide by the same rules as everyone else in terms of dealing with the pandemic. Depending on what those standards are at the local or state level. With most states "opening", that should mean most churches should be open for business. BUT, i think it's going to prove to be a mistake if we see full congregations. As with any business that is opening, precautions need to be taken. Masks should be required, people need to be spaced apart, etc. I view churches ultimately the same way I view concerts or sporting events. It is almost impossible for them to be "business as usual", they need to be creative. Those that try to be "business as usual", I almost see as potentially criminally responsible *if* they end up directly tied to an outbreak.

17. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Junior

May 9, 2020
    The Church down the street from me has a food pantry every Monday. I don't think it's the Church itself that must cease operation, just in person services that conflict with the probibition on gatherings. Maybe it isn't possible in your Church to have a food pantry without services. But I'm assuming the Church can still be used for other purposes including food pantries

I'm not 100% sure on this. But that's my understanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    Sure, my church will be tweaking the way we do a lot of things. People have been encouraged to stay home if they feel they are a high risk group. No judgment either way as we feel this is a decision every person has to make in their own conscience. We are implementing social distancing guidelines, encouraging masks if people feel they need to wear one. Fortunately we have a facility with a capacity that is 3 times the size of our congregation so social distancing will be very easy for us to pull off in doors.

The sticking point that I have as a follower of Christ is disease exists in the first place because of sin. If Adam had not sinned, then there would be no disease in the world. That is the abiding reason disease still exists today. Disease is a reminder that we have sinned against God, and his Holy righteous judgment stands against us and our sin. The wages of sin is death, and death claims 100% of everyone born because all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. Therefore the only correct response to a deadly disease is to collectively repent before God for our sins and turn to Christ so that our sins might be blotted out forever. This is essential because Jesus commanded, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

If we all experienced a single day of the final judgment all of our efforts would shift from thinking about masks, washing your hands for 20 seconds, social distancing, etc and it would shift in the direction of paranoia of the the lust, pride, greed, and idolatry in our hearts as well as any other sins we have not repented of yet. The number 1 priority would be the cleansing of the soul and the purging of the sin from every corner of our lives. Sin will ravage people like nothing we've ever seen on the day of judgment. The loss will be astronomical. I truly believe there are billionaires in hell who would give away their whole estate in this life in exchange for one less sin to be punished for in the next life.

Everything that shapes the liberal response to the pandemic is the idea that this life is all there is. What should shape a Christian response is the life to come is far more important than this one. Our sins pose a far greater imminent threat to our eternal well-being than COVID-19 ever will. When the church does not gather together sin has an opportunity to gain a foothold. The corporate worship and the preaching of God's word nourishes the mind, soul, and spirit so that we are equipped to obey the Lord. That is the issue, and a nonbeliever cannot understand it. The non-believer says, "oh but sins can be forgiven. It's not a big deal. You'll be fine." There are no little sins. If a non-believer understood this, they would instantly be crushed by the weight of it. Non-believers will understand on the day of judgment, but it will be too late to do anything about it. Pray that God gives you the grace to understand it and turn to Him in faith and repentance.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I think it's a mistake to open bars, indoor seating for restaurants, and especially gyms, but if you're going to open them up then churches have to be included.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

On a side note, is there any worse indictment on American culture than the fact that the ABC stores and fast food joints are considered essential, while my gym is not? :(