Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Please governors..tell Trump to shut up regarding church openings!

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, May 22, 2020.

1. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Always mixed messages from this admin. Another example of failed leadership. He is an awful potus.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Good point. Hopefully with same restrictions in place.

3. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I would think the difference is fairly obvious.
    Aside from that, hopefully the churches require masks since you are comparing to Costco

• Like Like x 1
  4. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Wether you know it or not, there are people having church in their homes along with kids and young adults hosting parties.

They ignore stay at home, social distance orders. I’ve watch kids and young adults on the beach from the beginning of the lockdowns ignore the rules.

The police come by and occasionally ask them to separate. Most of the time, nothing is said to them.

5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Indeed the essence of essential can be subjective, but I was using it in a rather biological sense, Ie required to stay alive.

If people count on your church for food, that would absolutely fit within my definition. I understood president Trump to be talking about having mass though.

And to be clear, all I said was that I would put Costco in a different category - not that I don’t think that churches must be closed. Of course mass is very important. There are many philosophical challenges to governing a state in a time like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m aware of this. I’ve seen several things I’ve shaken my head at the stupidity of, including some people down the street having a house party a month ago(and my neighborhood is not even one to have parties, so my reaction was basically...really...this is when you do this?). I don’t think it was loud enough to warrant police intervention, and I don’t think anyone called on them, but it was redic and all the other neighbors though so too. Nobody even knew who owns that house, so it may well have been renters or even a Airbnb type deal.

7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I'd be surprised if anyone really thinks he's the authority to do it. I'd also be really surprised if he actually tries to do it.
    It's just something he says ...

And, yes, this was a stupid and offensive thing for her to say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No question. Wasn't disagreeing with your point as much as adding another layer to the discussion.

Very difficult times indeed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One difference is that in a church, the worshipers are stationary and may be sitting within close proximity of each other for an extended period of time. One "super spreader" can infect a number of other people. At the Costco the shoppers are moving and based on my experience, maintain social distancing. Churches are fine with me so long as there is sufficient social distancing between the worshipers.
    South Korea is bracing for a spike in coronavirus cases after a 'super-spreader' event occurred at a controversial church

How a superspreader at choir practice sickened 52 people with COVID-19 | Live Science

Chicago’s ‘super-spreader’ — How COVID-19 raced through meals, funeral hugs, a birthday party and a church collection plate

10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump claims he will "override the governors" who closed churches in the pandemic

11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    To be fair though, if you drink enough alcohol, that covid shit don't stand a chance in ya.

Troof bro! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Sure...and I think it's pretty apparent that he's doing is regular thing here--Trump being Trump.

Says something in extreme terms...throws down a gauntlet...prompts ppl. to pick their sides... smokes ppl out, prompts them to expose their true colors..

Then voila! Rationality prevails! Art of the Deal, apparently.

Repeatedly.

...and it seems to work every time.

It's quite fascinating to watch actually.

13. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Who exposed their true colors because of his statement? I'm really curious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ppl reacting to what he said. Church foes come out against church going, and believers come out in support...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Cars aren't contagious?

I kid.

At this point no reason for churches not to open within the same guidelines as other places of assembly are opening.

FWIW, the Costco nearest us seems to be practicing load management and keeping a close tab on the number of people in the store, at least when my wife was there yesterday.

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    So any person who thinks maybe churches should not be open yet is a non-believer?

You're smarter than that form of elementary school binary logic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    For sake of arguments here, let’s forget where we stand on opening vs not opening, overreacting vs not overreacting, does anyone think this is the appropriate platform to put out this message? I feel like that should have been a closed door conversation, not during a public press conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Junior

May 9, 2020
    I'll bite. Abortions clinics, absolutely. Those are essential.

Liquor store aren't really essential, if they don't also sell food. You can argue those should have remained closed, but it has no bearing on the Church debate. Cigar stores have a legitimate gripe.

Churches should absolutely be open for services at the same time as gyms, movie theaters, and indoor dining and shopping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Junior

May 9, 2020
    Are Church food pantries not open? My understanding is that they have remained open all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    So the president is rooting out the non-believers? Cool!