Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Please governors..tell Trump to shut up regarding church openings!

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, May 22, 2020.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Trump just acted like a dictator threatening states by demanding churches be opened because "some people consider this an important part of their life". Look, I am very supportive of people getting back to life as normal but to tell states that they have to allow mass gatherings in enclosed buildings is reckless and stupid. STUPID! Everyone is being told to keep a distance but not churches! So, now I can see how we will return to a lockdown. Thanks Trump! Thanks Trump supporters! Go pray! You are going to need it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Who actually ordered a mandatory "shut down" of churches though?

3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The issue I see on this is equal treatment, if you are going to let malls and movie theaters reopen, you need to let churches reopen. Churches should get equal treatment.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Trump is gonna try and maintain his lead vs. the Brazilian President. Positive cases are a badge of honor (he actually said this!). Virus maximizer in chief.

I don’t know what he has against Christians, to apparently want to see so many dead. But yeah, let’s pack those churches!

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    As long as they follow the guidelines that have been set up I see no problem with it.
    Hand sanitizer, masks, social distancing etc...

If gyms are open, churches should be able to have service.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That is true, at least re: movie theaters. Churches shouldn’t be singled out. It’s that none of these things are really a good idea. Outdoor malls can reasonably reopen with social distancing. Anywhere where people are seated together and sharing a space is not a good idea.

Movies, concerts, broadway plays, sports crowds, churches, etc. These places (and probably others I’m not thinking of) need to exercise extreme caution until the pandemic is done, at least find creative ways to do it rather than “pack them in”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Our church has closed off every other pew and limited seating to one family of larger than 2 people or 2 couples sitting at opposite ends. They have limited total seating to 30 people per service and have added extra services to provide opportunities for all to worship.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That sounds reasonable for a smaller church. Really the situation for the church should reflect the rest of the community and state. If there are social distancing limitations, churches need to do social distancing. If it’s so bad that there are “stay in place” orders, churches should also be expected to abide and probably not hold services. If we can get to a full go situation, then of course churches can do whatever they want.

It just seems preposterous anyone would think that is a good idea at this time, Trump is clearly pandering here, trying to create the same old divides. Most churches I’m sure do the right thing, but this is going to encourage the defiant ones who weren’t even abiding during the peak lockdowns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Same here. 3 empty seats between worshipers. Only family on a row together. Aisles one way etc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tilly

But that very small number were gonna do it regardless.
    Here almost all churches shut down services before the governors mandate as they folowed the lead of a couple larger ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Plenty of issues here. One state allows 50 people in a bar but only 10 in a church... excuse me if I don't remember which one but these kinds of inequality ate all over the place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorzfan

gatorzfan VIP Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Drove by the local Costco today, had to be a hundred plus cars. Please explain the difference

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    ''President Trump on Friday called on governors to allow places of worship to open up this weekend, saying he would “override” them if they do not follow through with his recommendations regarding religious services.'

'During a brief appearance in the White House briefing room, Trump did not specify how he would do so and did not take any questions from reporters.'

“In America, we need more prayer, not less,” Trump said."

"Asked shortly afterward what power Trump has to override governors, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany called it a “hypothetical question” and accused reporters of wanting to see churches stay closed."

Truer words...

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would put Costco in a different category as it provides a rather essential service. Bars and movie theaters not so much though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We are doing the same thing. But we still aren't holding services in person for another week or two either way.

16. tilly

This is the first week here, The governor instituted "Phase Two" today at 5pm.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'm all for churches opening up, but not in favor of president so-n-so telling the governors what, how, or when. This process of reopening is going to get really complicated. So many nuances, including the nature of human behaviors in variable settings. Music teachers are fearful that when schools open, they may not be able to offer band/choir classes, due to research on aerosols emitted while singing and playing wind instruments. School music programs may be at risk.

Church services typically involve congregational singing; more charismatic churches have shouting, etc. I'm not claiming that this is more dangerous than other forms of spread, I really don't know. It seems evident that certain locations, like meat packing plants become hotspots. Why is that the case and how are churches different? There's plenty of reason for concern, when so many folks appear to be throwing caution to the wind. For the president to be doing so "on our behalf" is beyond irresponsible. It's disgusting, stupid, and likely purposed in reelection.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You're okay with abortion clinics and liquor stores as essential though, right?

19. tilly

As a conservative, I believe is states rights. I hope my fellow conservatives will agree that even when it benefits us, we should not pick and chose.

Churches should be allowed to meet. The constitution gives us the right to free exercise of our faith.

The POTUS however has very little to do with it and would be better served holding a conference call with governors reminding them of the fairness needed, instead of some faux claim that he can force it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. tilly

My church provides an essential service too. Our food pantry feeds hundreds and people are in a rough place and it is essential they get their spirits lifted.

What is essential to you may differ from me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1