Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pitching Thoughts and Observations

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by kgator27, Apr 4, 2019.

1. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Jack Leftwich won't make the trip to Oxford. So ...who's next?

Ruth:
    Great outing v Yale
    OK v MSU,
    Not so hot v Vandy,
    outstanding v Bama.

Kinda cool watching this kids recovery in living color. Seems to be putting the pieces back together week by week. Case study in how pitching is a "feel" and "touch" exercise that takes months and years to perfect, and not just grip and rip. At least for the good ones. he's listed as a Fr - and is in experience - but Sully keeps putting him in pressure situations like a Sophmore.

Scott has looked fantastic and consistent. Well deserved accolades as Freshman of the week. Probably a toss up for the head honchos in Birmingham between he and Ruth, but doing well in 2 outings certainly earned him the recognition. Saw comment from Sully that his velo is "just enough", which is interesting, we all know Sully LOVES velo guys. Face it, who doesn't? Is it high enough for him to trust a start v Ole Miss? He has earned a start, but will Sully throw a true freshman into the fire?

Crisp: To me he's an interesting guy. I don't think he's the closer any longer by the fact, he hasnt closed when the opportunity arose. I am not sure he is ready for Primetime as a starter. He throws a lot of strikes, but is now sittin in the high 80s and leaving balls up and tends to get hit hard by better teams. He is definitely doing great, just needs a year of experience (imo), which is exactly what he is getting.

So, which of the three is your pick?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    You pretty much nailed the analysis. This really has to be a weekend where Dyson gives the team a quality start or things could fall off the rails pretty quickly. I would favor Ruth to get the start mainly because Scott looks strong at the end of games and may be more valuable in that role.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I would pick Crisp for Sunday (or Saturday if a doubleheader happens).

Reason: Crisp has started in Jax. Neither Scott or Ruth have started a game in unfriendly confines.

That said, both Scott and Ruth are told to be ready from first pitch.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agree with both of y’all, @kgator27 and @MatsideObserver—

Ruth and Scott would be the front runners for the start at this point IMHO—27, I understand your comment ref: velo and Sully’s (or anybody’s) like for it. But at this point 90-94 by itself is not going to overwhelm the Rebels hitters—again, IMHO that would take high end 90’s+.

I would much rather see our guys at their known 90-94 locate their tails off and beat’em with solid pitching—Now, if that crowd gets our guy’s adrenaline going and their velocities spike—I’ll be glad to take it!

• Like Like x 3
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sully mentioned that he pulled Crisp early vs FAMU so he would be available for Friday...so assume he is slated for relief work. Have to assume Scott gets the Sunday start

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sure would like to see Crisp drive down through his pitches more with more leg drive finishing with his back down rather than jumping towards the plate whipping his arm—We don’t need two guys finishing upright—

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Sully does favor the power pitchers but he had a lot of success with some that were not. Logan Shore threw about 90-91 and was 12-1 as a junior. Meanwhile Puk threw a FB in the high 90s but seldom knew where it was going and only rarely could throw a 2nd or 3rd pitch for strikes consistently. Elite type FB with command and a 2nd pitch (Faedo) is what pitching coaches dream of and they don't often make it to college. Choosing between good command and + velocity.... Not sure. Whoever (Scott or Ruth) starts the other is likely to get some innings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    If Dyson has another 3 inning appearance, it’s probably gonna be a rough weekend. We need a solid 6 or 7 from him on Saturday to make it though Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Langworthy might get some work this weekend.

10. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Ironic isnt it? Early in season we thought we had 3 solid starters and questions in bullpen. Halfway through season, 2 starters have had significant issues and we have even odds on which of 3 solid Freshman get the opportunity!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Not sure he has a swing and miss pitch. Runs into a lot of barrels

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think the tough part is Sully hopes to go into Sunday with 2 out of 3 available of Crisp, Scott or Ruth. Meaning, he has to hope he only needs minimal relief help on Friday and Saturday. I'm sure, if he can win the first two, he will do it and use who ever he needs to but Sunday gets uneasy if only one of them is available. Best case scenario on Friday Mace goes 6-7 innings, Luethie and Crisp finish it, then Saturday Dyson gets 5-6 with Butler, Alintoff and Armstrong finishing, then Sunday he has Scott and Ruth to go as deep as they can with Crisp back to finish. Anything further brings in Blasucci and Specht.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Dang 87—

Now I feel better!:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Add Hudson Randall who just located everything, barely touched 90 and started on Fridays.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I was thinking worse case scenario. I hope it doesn't come to that, but who knows with this team. I'm going to hope for the best though and say we take 2 this weekend. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  16. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Me too

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I like Crisp as a weekend starter, but not this year. While his fastball is not electric, he locates it well and it does have good movement. That is all you really need to be effective with a fastball. Upper 90's over the plate is fun to watch, but that is throwing and not pitching.

Ruth is coming around. His velocity is getting better and better. Again I think that he will be better next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Wing, you are always thinking worst case scenario.

Have another beer.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 3
  19. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Unless I misremember wasn't he mid-90's in H.S. When/if he gets there again after full recovery, he will fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    IIRC he was upper 90's in HS and is now approaching mid-90's.

But pitching has a lot of similarity to real estate: location, location, location.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1