Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pickem' Contest Game 14 - Florida @ Arkansas

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorLurker, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    After a day to think about it I realize that this is simply a total points contest.
    So if I had picked Arky to win 108-0 I would have won the contest.

Again, I appreciate all the effort to run this, but I didn't understand this, and I'm not sure others did either.
    It would be easier to just have everyone list their total points then, and not bother with winners and losers or the score.

Thanks again for doing this. I can't imagine all the work.

2. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 All American

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I still don't think you get it. You would have been 57 off for Florida and 57 off for Arkansas. You would have been 114 points off instead of 21. So no you wouldn't have won with that score either.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are right I didn't get it, which is why I keep asking about it.
    I see now that the key to Lost's guess was that he was only 1 off of our score, while everyone else guessed too high.
    I still think guessing the winner should be a factor, but that's a matter of opinion.

This makes more sense now, thanks.

4. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 All American

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Sorry 114 points off. lol, but you get the point now hopefully. At my work when we do pickems you have to get closest like this contest, but you have to pick the right winner to be in the running for that week. You were very close even with these rules. Just off by 1. 21 to 20 total points off final score. You are essentially guessing for both teams and hoping to get the smallest amount of margin. GO GATORS!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    FYI. This is from the Pickem' Contest Game 1:

"Just so everybody knows it in advance you don't have to predict the correct winner of the game to be closest. The formula I use is |Gators actual score - Gators predicted score| + |Opponent's actual score - Opponent's predicted score| as the metric and the person with the smallest metric is the winner. If multiple people tie for best they are all winners."

I assume that everyone knows at | | means absolute value.

• Informative Informative x 1