Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

PG next year?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Feb 13, 2020.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    AN has taken his fair amount of criticism since he's been here for his lack of athleticism, but watching him glide up and down the court with ease, his ball control, and night and day difference taking it to the hole this year, has me a little worried about next year...

Quez has been a liability in SEC play, and not sure if Tyree is a true PG.

Thoughts on our PG play next year?

2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Appleby should be the starter as it stands right now.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Tyree is a true pg

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Another year for Ques: anticipate he’ll be much improved.

early in CMW’s career here, we were referring to him as the “Guard Whisperer”. We need to see similar player development from this young crew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Has anyone commented on his practice scrimmages or have you heard anything in any way that gives of hope for the pg position. I would think Nembhard’s games like Texas A&M, Auburn should propel him to a contract if he decides it time to pack his bags and leave the sunshine state.

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am predicting Andrew is our PG next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am predicting that he is not our point guard next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    i am predicting that I won't remember what I said about it by next year.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Tyree Appleby is definitely a point guard. His assist rate was one of the highest in the country last year (higher than Nembhard's and higher than Chiozza's in 2018) and he does all his best work with the ball in his hands. He's definitely a different point guard than the Gators have had in a long time due to his lethal scoring ability but I wouldn't see his scoring numbers and think he's not a point guard. I'm definitely comfortable with him running things. His defense wasn't great, but coming off a redshirt year I think he'll be improved. I'm a big fan of Appleby and I can't wait to have a scoring point guard like him

• Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I love hearing that about Appleby!

If Nembhard returns, I can't imagine him not starting. But, there's no reason we can't have two capable PGs in the starting lineup.

Or, how about three? Nembhard, Appleby and Mann*? :cool:

* - if Mann returns

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I think we should trade off all our assets and run with 5 bigs...let's see how that works out o_O

13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I'm with the OP in that watching AN and how smooth, decisive, shifty, etc - that he could find a home in the NBA. He's a little like SGA on the Thunder, a master at shifting speeds - with better court vision but maybe not as good ability to finish (obviously, since SGA is playing at borderline All-Star level in the NBA). He may or may not go - but if he does we'll be in good hands with Appleby

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    So you’re claiming that he doesn’t get any assists when the ball is not in his hands?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you have any inside info about Glover transferring?

16. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I cannot imagine AN in the NBA. He loses 3-5 seconds bringing the ball up against any SEC defender who pressures him and struggles to create off the high screen due to his slow speed. Guy has size and good vision but just do not see NBA athleticism there (hope I am wrong). He has nothing on the fast break and for every great pass he makes, it seems we have a late clock shot or violation due to us not initiating the offense crisply. I see him in Europe or Israel.

17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why would you think that when he almost left after his freshman year. He has demonstrated that in the right offense and in a position to run an offense the way he wants to, he is a double double point guard night in and night out. He also is good for at least 5-6 rebounds a game which means he'll get his share of triple doubles in the next league. AN is gone after this season!

18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That's the offense we run not because AN is not capable of pushing the envelope.

He is running a completely different offense than in high school so we are not even closely seeing what he is capable of doing. It's like getting a top running back to come to a school and then throwing the ball every play. "The best part of his game is when he is attacking" RJ Barrett. When he does that for us we are unstoppable. When MW has him running this last second offense and then have someone chuck it up and pray, we don't look as good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I was just throwing out possibilities, and if we run a 3-guard offense, it might be better if all 3 guards have some size. It's certainly not a requirement, however.

I'm sure Glover will get plenty of opportunities to contribute also. I like Glover even though I'm not as high on his current play as you are.

20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    How did he do tonight?