Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pew Survey: Obama Tops Public’s List of Best President in Their Lifetime Followed by Clinton, Reagan

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jul 12, 2018.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    So the general consensus in America is that Obama was great...Right now Obama haters are furious at these poll results lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Breakdown by generations:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Among the younger generation.

As they get older and others come up, there will be a new most popular president.

Even the really likeable Bill Clinton will be forgotten.

Who’s furious? Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Was going to mention that voting age millenials have known 16 years of Clinton and obama and 8 years of Bush, with the vast majority of them not remembering Clinton or Bush.

5. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm not being funny about Nixon. He accomplished far more than most on that list.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Oops, I gave you the funny emoji.

I’d take it back if I could

7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This. Obama shouldn’t really get credit for continual economic gains, when that’s what would have happened regardless.

And I don’t even think that Bush should get blame for the crash. His policies might have played, but when you have Alan Greenspan running around telling everyone to borrow against their home, it’s not like the experts knew what was happening either.

Presidents likely have little effect on the economy, especially during the actual time they are in office.

8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Obama actually seems to have pretty broad demographic appeal. Reagan too, except for the millennials. Of course, most millennials were born after 88, so they couldn’t vote for him even if they wanted to, so Reagan probably is the real winner.

9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    To fix it:
    1. Go back to the post
    2. click on the :);) icon
    3. It will pop a list of names with an X to the left of the name
    4. Click the X and the rating will go away

If that doesn't work, I can fix it for you.

10. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    I actually haven't heard much about Reagan recently. For a long time, Republican politicians were eager to cast themselves as Reaganites at every opportunity. But that's seemingly fallen off a cliff with the emergence of Trump. As loyalty to the brand of Trump continues to entrench itself as the defining characteristic of the modern Republican party (with everyone not in that circle cast out as "establishment"), I wonder if we end up seeing Reagan transition to become more like Eisenhower. A historical leader still held in high regard, but ultimately a relic of different times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    Considering Reagan was President over 30 years ago and add to that say 25-30 years to be cognoscente of the presidency there's probably a whole lotta people who don't have a clue about the Gipper. Barry couldn't hold his jock. Look how he screwed up the Middle East. Reagan won the Cold War and got us out of an economy with double digit inflation and 15% interest rates.

12. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    There you go. Over 38'ers for Reagan. Under Obama.

With age comes wisdom!

13. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I like Bill Clinton, don’t get me wrong, but to say that his administration was cleaner than Reagan’s is simply rewriting (or ignoring) history. Clinton’s criminal actions were mostly at the top. Additionally, Clinton’s transgressions were self-serving while those from Reagan still held the well-being of the United States first and foremost.

14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree.

But Watergate and his other criminal associations (Agnew at a minimum) have to count too. Bombing the living hell out of Cambodia whom we were not at war with and killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process. Running illegal surveillance operations and using the IRS against political enemies and journalists.

Nixon was a very accomplished politician. I agree for sure. But aslo a corrupt criminal responsible for a ton of needless death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Iran Contra? HUD scandal? The S&L crisis?

That's off the top of my head. I know there were more. Reagan did a lot of good but there was a lot of corrupt rogue shit going on in that administration.

(edit) - Wikipage on it.
    Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia

And the number of criminal indictments are probably double what they were under Clinton.

16. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, you'd have to rewrite history to claim that Reagan's was cleaner than Clinton's.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  18. Rocinante

Rocinante GC Legend

May 28, 2013
    51AB2F47-C4E3-4388-ACE7-4B5732AC7D19.png 81601B0C-8310-40A6-B061-20E31709AE61.jpeg

So, first and foremost, he was the leader while we progressively pulled out of a near depression in less than 8 years. Do he gets that notch. He arguably killed more terror leaders than any other. His national debt growth while propping up an economy in depression mode is tied for second with Ronny and is quite a bit lower than Bush. He lowered the uninsured rate by milliond( opposite of your in-informed claim). Helped drive expanded civil rights to 3%(gays) of the population, if you take new data from multiple surveys, that number might be closer to 30%, as millennialist and x and y gen have consistently had the comfort to report 30 % consider themselves not completely heterosexual.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    lol Obama was voted the worst POTUS since after WW2 of the ones that have served their terms.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    No I think it is more like humored. Most probably think it is funny that a poll about the best president in your lifetime would be taken seriously considering many have only lived through 3 or 4 presidents.