Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pew Survey: Obama Tops Public’s List of Best President in Their Lifetime Followed by Clinton, Reagan

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jul 12, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Tough for me to choose between Obama and Clinton. I think I probably did better financially under Clinton, but bigger social changes under Obama and still did well in the stock market.

Obama Tops Public’s List of Best President in Their Lifetime, Followed by Clinton, Reagan

When asked which president has done the best job in their lifetimes, more Americans name Barack Obama than any other president. More than four-in-ten (44%) say Obama is the best or second best president of their lifetimes, compared with about a third who mention Bill Clinton (33%) or Ronald Reagan (32%).

Not yet halfway through his term, 19% say Donald Trump has done the best or second best job of any president of their lifetimes. That is comparable with the share who viewed Obama as one of the best presidents in 2011 (20%).

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    High school popularity contests rarely, if ever, mean anything.

Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's how I'd rank them, too. The quality of presidents really drops off after Clinton, but someone has to come in third, and I wasn't alive for Kennedy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Meh. Reagan wins with those alive when he was POTUS. Obama only wins amongst the group who were not born yet when Reagan was POTUS.

They were limited by the "In your lifetime" part of the question.

I know people in their 20's that would choose Reagan if they were not required to vote for a POTUS during their lifetime.

Reagan Tops 'Greatest President' Poll
    Reagan Tops 'Greatest President' Poll

When you remove the "in your lifetime" restriction you get a better historical viewpoint

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

Also note that at this point in the presidency....Trump and Obama have an almost identical number.;):p

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. tilly

Taking political views out...and ignoring my social conscience, In my lifetime I would rank:

1. Reagan
    2. Clinton
    3. HW
    4. Tie...The other 2 were just puppets and the current one is decent at results...but a terrrible person...so I am torn.

7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Recency bias in that poll for sure.

I think I'd probably go Clinton, then Reagan but they're close. Reagan had too many criminal actions in his admin to be considered top IMO. Probably Obama next but whomever you choose next is a significant step down from Clinton or Reagan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    LOL meaningless poll, all you have to do is ask a bunch of 18 year olds to get those results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I will take the results of that so called "terrible person" over any of the appeasers we have had as prez since 1988

10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People’s views of the best president of their lifetimes are partly tied to their ages. Millennials, who are currently ages 22 to 37, are far more likely than older generations to name Obama as one of the best presidents in their lifetimes: About six-in-ten Millennials (62%) view Obama as one of the top two, with nearly half, 46%, naming him the best president.

Older generations are much more likely than Millennials to name Reagan as one of the best presidents. Reagan was president before most Millennials were born.

Gen Xers (ages 38 to 53) are divided in their assessments: 45% of Gen Xers name Reagan, while nearly as many mention Obama (41%) or Clinton (39%).

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Remind me again about Obama's accomplishments? What were they? That millions of people lost their healthcare insurance? That he doubled the national debt and shrank our military at the same time... that actually takes will and dedication to achieve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  13. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The uninsured rate hit a record low under Obama, so your recollection starts with falsehood.

Other than that, people tend to remember presidents by how well they did during their terms ... that is why Clinton and Obama are at the top of the list. Unemployment rate falling, housing market rebounding, stock market through the roof ... that's why.

But not starting any stupid wars and being likable people didn't hurt them, either, in these types of polls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    MILLIONS of American LOST THEIR HEALTHCARE CONVERGE/INSURANCE WHEN OBAMA-CARE CAME INTO LAW... FACT, JACK!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  15. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Hmmm ... so millions of people lost their insurance and we still ended up with record low uninsured rates??? Something tells me your math be off.

[​IMG]

Edit ... just look at the chart. Those millions more being uninsured is clear as day.... LOL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    After they were bounced from their health insurance, yes, and them the indigent got free coverage and all the other Americans that were forced off of their good health care insurance. In all it was one big lie that forced us to buy crappy insurance with sky-high deductibles... deductibles so high that most healthcare insurance policies were just a scam, unless you worked for a great corporation, and they paid most if not all of it. That still left us with high deductibles, rendering it worthless insurance.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    So, what you are saying is that millions of people didn’t lose health coverage after all? Good, I’m glad we cleared that up...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    If insurance was Obama's greatest legacy he just plain failed.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Many of those poor insured could not afford the out of pocket costs and kept using the ERs. My daughter worked at two hospitals in Savannah and told me nothing had changed as to how the ERs were being used. There were numerous articles written about it.

When you are coming out of a bad economic and housing recession there’s no way to go but up.

Both Clinton and Obama were likeable people. I wouldn’t mind having a beer with either of them.

20. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    I assume I'm the only one to put Nixon in my top 3.

• Funny Funny x 5