Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Perkins-Career High 4 Passing TDs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Dec 31, 2019.

1. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Says more about:
    a) Three weeks to practice & specifically prepare for our defense
    b) UVA selling out the playbook ( playing with house-money)
    c) Their QB and receivers made at least 3 highlight plays against good cover
    d) MAYBE they were a little more fired-up playing Florida in the Orange Bowl vs a regular season game against William & Mary

Just saying...

• Like Like x 2
  2. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Think this is more of a "FAN" interpretation of a goal.

I'm sure winning is more the goal of the coaching staff and players....I could be wrong...but don't think so.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Most importantly UVA beat W&M 52-17. There is nothing about that game that is relevant to ours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I should say that with all of the threads you start on this topic, one could say the same thing about you looking like someone who has a grudge against our defense.. :rolleyes:

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I don't know if I would call them "jaw dropping completions" as much as "two of the luckiest desperation chucks"

And,...
    "Huzzah!"...... I wonder how many other "mediocre defenses" can help to get their team to 11-2, with a #6 AP ranking? :rolleyes:

6. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Did we not have 3 weeks to prepare for Virginia's offense?

One interesting thing I heard from the talking heads this morning is that Fromm has thrown for under 50% completions in five straight games. Yet he dominated our defense in the most important game of the year. We really should have beaten uga this year if not for a historically bad defensive game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    TG has always struggled against good QBs. It’s almost as certain as death and taxes

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    one TD came on the great escape while Marco refused to watch the pass come and and another on busted coverage; not so much Granthams fault on either. Not allowing Perkins to run free was a solid plan.

9. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    We did, but that was my second point of them , selling out the play book. They did some thing really outside of their normal trends. They had too, to be competitive. I think ( for what that’s worth), it caused confusion & and slow reactions by or LB and Safety groups.

We, in the other hand...stayed more to in line with what we normally do.

Again, just what I thought.

10. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    We will no more of that logic and solid strategic analysis in this thread. This is only for bashing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    You do not understand Virginia. That W&M game is like Harvard vs Yale, it may not mean much to you the football fan, but it’s a big school rivalry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Didn't know that. Still think the OB was bigger

• Like Like x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We won. We were in control. It was a bowl game after a lay-off. I don’t care. Mullen will talk to our DC if needed I imagine. I think Mullen is loyal but I doubt he’s forgiving of general mediocrity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. You can bet virgin doesn’t want any more of UF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    And now, Atlanta
    Says we had a poor gameplan and its a good thing we had the better players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I didn't say our defense was mediocre, I named the secondary as mediocre. On paper it should have been good with Hendo and Marco but we know how it turned out. I expected a lot more of our defense this year after what they showed last year, it was clearly a drop off although far from mediocre. Still a good D!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  17. Chantweaver

Chantweaver GC Legend

May 7, 2008
    O come on. UVA also scored 52 against William and Mary.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Losing Chauncey is what killed us the most. But if you consider that Hendo was playing not to get hurt, Marco was coming back from an injury and our safety rotation was just dumb as hell then you have what you have.

What's been consistently good is our D Line and sack ability with Grantham. Curious to see who steps up next year and fills the Greenard role. Hoping it's Brenton Cox or Diabete.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    No reason to stew over something like this at this point. The season is over. And we finished 11-2 with two tough losses, but against very good teams.

Our defensive backfield wasn't a team strength this year, that was obvious. We in particular struggled at the star/nickel position. But we've got some promising young guys who got experience this year -- one who is a sure fire starter next year (Elam) -- and a bunch of quality recruits coming in the 2020 class. Maybe we will be fortunate and Williams will sign in the late period and be ready to contribute in his true freshman season.

20. HayGator

HayGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL! You say this after you state in post #4 - "I heard that stat from Levy, so hopefully it is factual". That's hilarious!

• Funny Funny x 1