Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Perine needs a rest

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CRIMDEFgator, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swoosh69

swoosh69 All American

May 15, 2007
    I'm hoping some QB runs and pitch options will happen if the RBs and O-line cannot produce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The thing with that is we installed some traditional run concepts that carried over from the previous regime because the OL was transitioning slowly to the new scheme. We don't have a guy with a true FB skillset now and the OL isn't any more well versed in that dynamic than CDM's preferred scheme.

Doesn't mean they can't change it up, but I can see why they wouldn't be quick to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We'll get some of that (as we saw on the TD at 'Tucky). Just no need to show it much now.

4. myltwon

myltwon Senior

Nov 26, 2013
    As long as Davis is riding the bench until he learns how to hold onto a ball I'm fine splitting time between Pierce and Perine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Jeez Louise. Perine is invaluable. He's still our 2nd leading receiver? Or was going in to last game. If they asked him to lose weight it was to get even quicker.

And yet Pierce has the juice. When he rounds out he will be our starter. When is a a big guess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Malik needs to return to form. Need to utilize his speed and game breaking threat somehow to make the defense not crash so hard. Don't know how his blocking is though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Oh? What plays did we run where a RB missed the hole? I don’t recall them.

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Aside from his abilities to catch and hold on to the ball......

Perine can block, perhaps with both more experience and with more power....
    Plus, he seems to be our only RB who can smoothly get in a block, and slide our for a pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think Perine runs well in space. Even this year, when he gets past the LOS, he looks good. I think that's why he's also done well in the passing game.

The problem has been that whether it's the OL not opening up holes, or he's missing the holes, or he's not patient enough to wait for the hole, it looks like he's just running right into the pile on most plays. But I think almost every run play by most of our backs have kind of looked like that.

Pierce looks like the one guy who can sometimes force his way through the LOS.

But to the point, I still think Perine is the most complete back we have and I will say that other than UTM, he had his best average YPC this week. I think what we're going to see is that if Trask continues to be effective in the passing game, that's going to help open up running lanes for Perine.

Let me add that Perine didn't have his first TD until game 6 last season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I disagree respectfully. Yes our Oline has been good at pass blocking but our run block schemes have been atrocious at best most of the time. We had a couple good plays where they picked up assignments well against UT, but mostly the Oline and the TE’s have left much to be desired in this area. Perine is getting knocked back or shifting his lane because there is nothing there, not because he lacks talent or Adequate size. The Oline is young and they have a long way to go and Mullen will never, obviously admit it publicly, but he knows we’re hurting. He has mentioned we are trying to recruit our way out of certain “lacking areas”.

As much as we hate it, we are a season away still from effective running and by and large it’s not Perines fault. He has also been pretty good at pass blocking.

Will take time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The toothless hillbillies were already gassed in the 4th by the time Perine and Pierce became effective in the running game. I don't see how Jones had any effect there.

We are not getting any push by our OL in the run game until our S&C takes over. That won't work against strong defenses such as aub and ga. That CAN work against l$u if we don't fall behind and burreaux does not have a big game.

But against aub and ga, we could easily run for negative yardage and Trask will have to Light. It. Up.

12. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Not going to play replay man for you. If you cant recall them then so be it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. myltwon

myltwon Senior

Nov 26, 2013
    I remember Perine being mentioning for missing holes by the announcers

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Pitch? Davis would be best with speed to beat LB to the edge. Sigh. However, he is the most likely to not catch the pitch.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Love to see some sweeps. Heck put 'Coleman in backfield pitch it outside yo him. Strong and fast,a bigger toney

16. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Said in another thread Perine doesn't look like the same back as last year.
    Don't see the fight this year?
    Wonder if he was pushed by Scarlett?
    We need to run the ball effectively or else we may lose to Auburn, LSU & Georgia.
    IMHO the way we are playing now I see us possibly beating Auburn since we're playing at home and not a real good chance at LSU and vs Georgia.
    We are still inconsistent and not executing well.

17. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    agree with both of these - nobody else on the roster has Lamical's all around skillset. He's our best back and I'm hoping he stays healthy all year.

like DBCooper said, the OL getting beat regularly is a much bigger problem for our run game than anything else.

18. wingator22

wingator22 Freshman

Feb 2, 2011
    Perine is our best all around back and I am looking forward to his breakout performance on the turf.

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I agree but Pierce should be getting way more carries than he is! Scarlett and Perine alternated possessions. Perrine was much more effective because defenses had to adjust from a punishing runner like Scarlett to a shifty runner like Perine.

Pierce would not be tackled as easily as LP was in some of the previous games. Pierce would help wear down the defense as would Clements in my opinion. Davis has confidence issues right now that he has to work through.

20. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Freshman

Nov 8, 2013
    Ocala
    Yes, please see John Brantley. He was a beast in HS, and looked like a Heisman winner on a UF practice field. He tried his best, just wasn't a big time college football gamer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.