Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Perhaps There Should Be A 64-Team Playoff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Dec 27, 2023.

1. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    No chance of this. The NFL needed to co-opt a profitable league as a d League is a money sink. That's all this whole thing is about. Break the current system by introducing one with no rules then just wait for people to get dissilussioned enough by chaos to be happy accepting paying people to play on school sponsored teams as long as it's rules based.

NFL D League without having to do the work to make it profitable without risking the NFL brand if it fails. It's smart if all you care about is the profit.

2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here is a solution, maybe. The NIL is a standard NCAA contract. X dollars per month. Opt out and you owe the $ back. All of it. Fake an injury, ditto. It's no different than an advance for a movie and you opt out of playing Bond, James Bond or you walk of the set.

I cannot imagine Spurrier, Danny et al opting out of their final game at UF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    They could then enter the transfer portal or declare for the NFL.

4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Unfortunately, that's been happening for many years, but with the landscape of college football as we now know it, what you posted is looming large on the horizon as a genuine possiblity as a weekly occurrence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Spurrier's last season as HBC at Carolina wasn't going well, and he opted out at midseason with a 2-4 record when he left. I love him, but that was the ultimate opt out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    The solution to the current nil problem is actually making it nil. Get paid for usage of your name, image and likeness. You think being a known portal queen or opt out fairy is going to make your school's fans increase or decrease their nil purchases? How do you think playing well and representing the fan base well would impact this?

NIL was never the goal. The goal was to break CFB so they could save it by making it an NFL d League with salaried professional players wearing university gear.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  7. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Sadly, I don’t have a good solution, nor have I heard of a good working solution. That will improve the game. College football is really the only sport I’m passionate about and it looks like it’s evolved permanently. It’s better for the players, but removed many of the things that made me love it. Those players that don’t have an NFL future picked their team based on the education. Those who want to pursue their NFL aspirations use their team as a stepping stone. I can’t blame them for doing what’s best for them based on their goals.
    Maybe I’d be less mopey about it if The Gators were winning, but I think it is what it is. I think future generations of fans will become used to “the game” and will support their team, maybe the future is that it financially infeasible and schools will form club teams with true student athletes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Spurrier used to say that every player thought they were good enough to go to the NFL.

With players getting NIL money, I wonder how long it will last for those not going to the NFL?

9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    How much do you think every player is getting? LOL

10. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Even if we were having 10-2 seasons, I'd have almost no interest in us or anyone else, if the rosters are having massive changes yearly, and Gators are switching to UGA and vice versa. I have no investment in this current world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson GC Legend

Aug 10, 2007
    64 team playoff? Just wait for the whining.

“5-6 New Mexico got shafted when the committee chose 4-7 Buffalo over them based on strength of schedule!”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Whenever this happens, the 65th ranked team will sue the CFB Playoff, the NCAA, declare themselves National Champions, and have a parade at Disney World, all while being the best 7-6 team in the country.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    ESPN, Fox Sports, etc will continue to pay because the games, reruns, highlights, etc, fill hours of programming time, just like all of the holiday bb tournaments

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If only the nfl didnt already have a free developmental league with the best coaches money can buy, they may be interested. No chance of that happening.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I thought we are discussing the guys that don’t want to play?

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Pretty been what you’re talking about has been happening all along and the schools loved it. Now the boosters are giving to kids what they most likely would have donated to schools. The schools are for whatever gives them the biggest percentage of the cash. If not for laws, schools would still have the payments underground and not let the kids transfer. Kids had no bargaining power and schools has all the power. It’s a business and should be run by the laws that we support. I think everyone should be draft eligible. If you’re good enough to be picked and paid, why not? Tge answer is because college and the nfl collude to keep colleges with their product and tge nfl with their minor league. Wins for both. Now these kids have their right to work. The talented ones work is football, not books. That’s where their work has value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Less interesting for sure

18. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I like your post and would relish seeing it happen. And man, putting all those weasels back in the box would be fun to watch.

19. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I have not followed this thread until this morning. So just ignore my post if it is a repeat.

A 64 team playoff is at the least one playoff game too far.

It will take 5 series of playoff games to get down to the final 2 teams for championship game. That is a total of six playoff games.

Factors to consider: If the playoffs start on New Year's Day (or weekend), the championship game will be played in the second week of February, provided that there is not a open week.

College football season is now 12 games. Add 1 game for those that qualify for a bowl game. Add another game for conference championship games. Thus, it is possible for the final two teams to have played 13 to 14 games at that point of the season. Now add the 6 playoff games and the final two are at 19 to 20 games.

At that point, 19 to 20 games, there will be two pretty banged up football teams.

Another factor to consider is how many future NFL players on these teams will want to risk an injury before going into the NFL combines and the draft. I am sure we will see some key players trade the playoffs for a possible NFL pay check.

20. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    The solution I'd be fine with is NIL, but you get your one transfer only after year 3. If the coach leaves, you can move that transfer up.