Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pelosi is Defiling Her Office

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8rnbft, Feb 5, 2020.

1. g8rnbft

g8rnbft GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Nancy Pelosi should resign

"The House has its share of infamies, great and small, real and symbolic, and has been the scene of personal infamies from brawls to canings. But the conduct of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) at the State of the Union address this week will go down as a day of infamy for the chamber as an institution. It has long been a tradition for House Speakers to remain stoic and neutral in listening to the address.
    Pelosi has demolished decades of tradition with this poorly considered moment. Of course, many will celebrate her conduct and be thrilled by the insult to Trump. However, even those of us who disagree with his policies should consider what Pelosi destroyed in her moment of rage. She shredded the pretense of governing with civility and dignity in the House. Notably, she did not wait to rip up her copy of the speech until after she left the House floor. Pelosi wanted to do it at the end of the speech, in front of the camera, with the president still in the chamber.

That act was more important to Pelosi than preserving the tradition of her office. In doing so, she forfeited the right to occupy that office. If Pelosi cannot maintain the dignity and neutrality of her office at the State of the Union, she should resign as the Speaker of the House of Representatives."

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Nope. This is some dumb bullshit.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Meh. Trump does more outrageous antics on twitter by the time he flushes 10 times to get his crap down the toilet in the morning. He actually has the FDA on it still i think.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Just to make sure: is it your position that somebody doing an action beneath the dignity of the office should resign? Just want to make sure you have a well-reasoned and consistent position.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    To speak of dignity and neutrality after Trump and the Senate Republican's conflagration of laws and norms, is breathtaking in it's shamelessness. Pelosi tore up a lie-filled speech--McConnell and Trump's Troops tore up the Constitution.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Is this about her tearing up his speech after she extended her hand and Trump refused to shake it? I find it hilarious that Trump supporters would pretend to be all bent out of shape over that....

7. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Real Clear Politics polling averages has Pelosi’s approval rating slightly higher than Trump ... strange days ... Congress is usually more hated than the president.

8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    What a shocker, the outrage and meh reactions to this are divided down party lines. What a SHOCKER!

Is Trump a disgrace to the office? YES.
    Does that make it right to defend Pelosi? NO.

And before I get the rebuttal, if you don't care about Trump's antics you shouldn't care about Pelosi's. To which I'd counter, you're being exactly like a Trump support just for the opposite team and "because Trump".

This is getting so damn old....

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Overall congressional approval I think is what’s typically in the gutter.

If you ask people what they think of their own rep, it generally just shoots up to whatever the partisan split is in that area. If an individual is well short of that, they are in trouble.

Was this Pelosi poll national? If so it would probably be closer to partisan divide, rather than the 12% or whatever the overall view of congress is these days.

10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like averages of national polls.

RealClearPolitics - Favorability Ratings: Political Leaders

12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I think she was wrong to tear up the paper. But to be outraged over it? Demand her resignation?
    Good grief.

Holy crap! I thought it was ridiculous to demand her resignation. Get this:

Right-wing pundits demand Pelosi's arrest after she tears up Trump's speech

• Like Like x 1
  13. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, she doesn’t need files anymore. She just rips up unnecessary papers promptly now.

14. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It was good theatre. And it triggered a lot of Trump followers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Talk about TDS. Getting bent over her tearing up a paper copy! It's not like she destroyed the source document. Something tells me there is a digital file that has already been backed up multiple times. Heck, I could tear up the paper copy of a mortgage that was already recorded down at the county courthouse. Something I'm just a little bit familiar with. That doesn't mean it didn't go away.

It was a bad play by Pelosi to be sure, all it accomplished was a bad optic. She should know better.

16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    The impeachment saga in a nutshell....

Democrats: Trump did crimes
    Trump: I did not do crimes.
    Republicans: If the president did crimes, we need to punish him, but he didn't do crimes and there's no evidence that he did crimes.
    Democrats: We have evidence that Trump did crimes.
    Trump: There is no evidence that I did crimes because I am hiding all of the evidence.
    Democrats: That is itself a crime.
    Republicans: Whose to say what is or is not a crime, and who did or did not do them? How can anyone really ever know anything?
    Trump: I did crimes, but they're not criminal crimes because I'm the president, and it's very divisive for the crooked Democrats to accuse the president of doing crimes that I actually did.
    Democrats: We will impeach you for those crimes.
    Republicans: Whoa there, just because Trump did crimes doesn't mean those crimes are impeachable.
    All legal scholars and historians: Those crimes are definitely impeachable, and are exactly what the founding fathers meant by high crimes and misdemeanors.
    Democrats: What they said.
    Trump: CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES
    Republicans: Okay, so Trump did crimes, and they're impeachable, but it would give us bad feelings to remove Trump from office.
    Democrats: The future of our Republic is at stake!
    Republicans: We will impeach Biden on day 1 if he's elected because of something we read on Q Anon.
    Smart people: WTH
    Trump: Derp
    Republicans: And what about her emails????
    Mitch McConnell: Strips naked, puts on a black robe, stands in a room full of mirrors while repeating "I am the Senate. I will make it legal. Every single Jedi is now an enemy of the Republic"
    Smart people: OMG
    Trump: Also, Ivanka made 15 million jobs last year.
    Numbers: WTH?
    Republicans: WILL NO ONE ASK ABOUT HILLARY'S EMAILS???????
    Democrats: Look, no one understands the Iowa Caucuses anyway....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Trump. It all centres on the bully in the house. I ask this..do we really need this crap in our lives? Do we honestly have to debate a lud mouth arrogant idiot that likes using everyone to prove his "greatness"? Please grow up and let's end this charade or poorly written drama and get back to normal lives that dont hinge around the stupid antics of Trump and now spreading to others. We should expect much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They’re not really upset. They just need to make her the face of Trump opposition for optics. In that regard, she made a mistake. She wisely stayed in the back and let Schiff, a white male, take the media lead and be the face of impeachment.

Fox viewers do better if the leader of the enemy is female, black, etc. It works better on the lizard brain level. Hell, it cuts across the political spectrum at that subconscious level - a “woman” not deferring! There’s a reason they’re called BernieBros!

Need to get Schiff back in front visually, even with her in charge. Sad, but true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    No outrage from me. No demands or calls for arrest or resignation. I’m glad she did it. It shows her to be the petty biotch that most already knew or at least suspected that she is.