Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Payne

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by KAGator67, Feb 26, 2020.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Jitoboh has improved greatly, even moving his feet some, I was impressed with some of his moves last night and his trying to play defense better than early in the year. When I see KB matador a offensive player right to the basket, I at least know, Jason would be more of a line of defense than KB. Jitoboh is willing to try, Omar is still hesitant to bring an aggressive mindset. Freshman lost or not confident in his body. Hopefully he gets stronger, fills out some and they work on his confidence. Payne will get more time when he plays with more confidence, right now he seems to question himself. I think the coaches won’t say it, but by his lack of time on court sort of confirms this. He is a young kid, Kevarious Hayes took four years before he found a little offensive game. Omar is going to do this in less time, patience is needed because he doesn’t feel any confidence, at least the coaches must feel this. I thought at times last night, we could have used him. I feel it is just confidence and trust!

• Like Like x 1
  2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Jotoboh actually is playing better in the offense right now and plays have been set for him. He doesn’t block shots like Payne but he takes up space.

Assuming Lewis, Johnson and Nembhard stay humble and go pro next year, the starting five will be Mann or Appleby, Locke, Duraji, Payne and Jitoboh.

I think the only thing that can keep the above three from testing the draft is their allowing it to go to their heads. That’s what I believe happened to Hudson.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    It's still a mystery to me why Payne isn't playing.

4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

And why wouldn’t JJ get more minutes. He may work his ass off at practice and OP might not

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Who is Frank Frankie? Never heard of him

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Maybe he is talking about "Fergie" - not sure Wing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    THIS!
    I think Omar is demonstrably better. What's going on?

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Fat fingers at work here....g>k

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    The lesser known felonious half cousin 3 times removed of Mr frangie , aka Frankie 4 fingers, aka Frankie 2 f’s, aka bill, aka Frankie loves Omar

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Just messing with ya

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I know

12. nmd55

nmd55 GC Legend

May 24, 2007
    There is one reason why Payne hasn’t played much at all the last few games....

Keyontae Johnson

He is our best player and we are at our best when he is at the 4. Key has played damn near every minute the last 2 games. Those of you calling for Payne at the 4 have no idea what your talking about.

Payne should probably be getting the 5 minutes ahead of Jit but you could see the game plan as of late has been to go 5 out and attack the rim.

13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

You must not have read Eric's article about the stats Offensive and defensive points per possession) for various lineups. The best, by far, was the lineup of Payne, Blackshear, KJ , Nembhard, and Locke.

14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I played on a flag football team with Frank back in our Gainesville days, and saw him around town occasionally as he was a friend of a friend. He could talk at great length about Gator sports even then! :cool:

I haven't seen him since those college days, but it's interesting to hear his name come up every now and then on here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I have to wonder if our improvement playing zone defense is giving minutes to the guys that are getting it in practice. The bench has been shortened, to effectively the starters, Mann and Blackshear's three backups.

Against Georgia, Bassett logged a recent high of 7 minutes, with Jitoboh adding 3

Men's Basketball vs Georgia on 3/4/2020 - Box Score - Florida Gators

16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I think that against UK's Nick Richards, we're going to see Bassett, Jits, and Payne (good name for a law firm, btw) all get minutes. We'll hammer Nick a few times to let him know what's what. I particularly like Blackshear in front of Nick with Payne coming hard from the weak side to swat the shot away.

• Like Like x 1
  17. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Eric's article is helpful in this regard.