Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Payne

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Jul 8, 2019.

1. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    Yep. Was like 6'2 or 6'3 as a 10th grader then sprouted up. The rest is history

2. gator_gary

gator_gary All American

Jun 27, 2007
    I think Payne will be really good, but did he even start at Montverde last year?

3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    No, I do not think he started.

4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    The problem isn't your opinion, it's that your opinion is based on an extremely small sample size that is now outdated. You're not in the Florida gym with the staff. You watched a game from probably 6 months ago. That's irrelevant now. I'm sure in your mind you think telling everyone your opinion is useful but it's not. It's simply poo pooing on the kid whenever he's mentioned at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Honestly, I would never equate my BB knowledge to yours and look to you for insights. I only said that Payne's video showed a potential and should make one smile.
    As far as your's and Cinci's debate, both have validity if one edits out the interpersonal stuff.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Cincy, I see where you're coming from but in tampa's defense, I do find his insights informative and helpful. Since I don't really follow HS hoops (I rarely even watch highlight videos until a kid commits), I appreciate input from anyone that has seen these kids play (in person, on TV, whatever).

At the end of the day it's one man's informed opinion on a kid. He's usually pretty upfront and provides context of when, where, and how often he's watched kids/teams play and I know he's followed HS hoops for many years. It's just one more piece of info on a kid that helps me form a general expectation before I actually see the kid suit up for the Gators.

I'll take that any day over some on this message board (not referring to you) who see a ranking from ESPN, 247, etc. and form immediate opinions on what to expect from players and subsequently argue with guys that have actually watched a kid play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No. For his standards he is being very nice to Payne. Now don’t get him started on what he thinks about Tre Mann. You will think he is putting Payne on a pedestal in comparison!

8. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Junior

Aug 20, 2018
    Yup

9. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Junior

Aug 20, 2018
    True, but that's why I said "build" as in shape, but you are correct

10. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    Haha so true.

11. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I like to hear what both Tampa, and cincinnatigator have to say. That is what makes the board fun, different views.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A few points: I don’t recall how long Gator Country has been around, but it seems to me like I have been posting about Gator prospects for the last 20 years or so. My comments on a prospect are almost always based on a limited amount of exposure to the prospect. However, my exposure to the prospect almost always exceeds that of other posters because I try to watch the prospect play a real game or 2 against real competition. In that regard, I find it ridiculous that I would be criticized for relying on a small sample that might become outdated. Of course it’s a small sample and of course it might become outdated. However, in many cases, the comments turn out to be on the money.

All of that being said, over the years I have stated among many other things that:
    1. Ray Shipman didn’t look to me like he would be a good college player;

2. We should go hot and heavy after Shane Larkin;

3. Fab Melo was not a top tier big man, and we would be better off with Patric Young;

4. Kasey Hill had several weaknesses in his game that he might or might not work out in college;

5. Isaiah Stokes was a poor rebounder and defensive player;

6. Brad Beal was better that Austin Rivers;

7. We should go after Keyontae Johnson rather than Khavon Moore;

8. Chris Chiozza was going to be a great point guard and was good enough to start as a freshman;

9. Erving Walker was going to be a really good point guard;

10. Calathes and Parsons were really talented but didn’t believe in playing defense; and

11. Kadji and Vargas were not going to play over Alex Tyus.

Now some of you might disagree with some of the things that I said, but I based them on watching actual games, I said them before other posters did, and I got a lot of criticism in the process. You all can decide whether the information was of value. It wasn’t based on highlight videos, and it wasn’t based on ratings.

As for Mann and Payne, I am high on both of those guys on a long-term basis. I have never said otherwise. They might both play in the pros some day. However, that doesn’t mean that they won’t be playing behind some other players next season. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I expect Nembhard and Locke (if healthy) to start at the 1 and 2. Glover might also turn out to be as good or better than Mann next season. That’s not a knock on Mann. It’s just that we have a chance to have some really good guards on the team.

As for Payne, there is a chance that he will be behind Blackshear, Johnson, Gak and Bassett at the 4/5 positions. Again, that’s not a knock on Payne. It’s just that we have some big guys who might be able to contribute more than Payne can contribute next season. Down the road, I can see Mann, Payne and Jitoboh all excelling at UF.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m giddy about next season, for sure. I need to be reeled in a bit , though. I don't mind the pragmatic realism, even if it’s a small sample size that @tampajack1 gives. I need to remember last year: thinking we’d be damn good going into the season. That was a bumpy journey. Let me temper my expectations a bit, then really enjoy the result. I’d rather be that way than disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Payne clearly has a lot of potential. What I don’t like about highlight videos is that you can take a guy who makes 10% of his 3’s, and if you only show the 3’s that he makes, he looks like a superstar. It’s pretty much the same thing when you only show some spectacular dunks. In real life, I did see Payne make some nice dunks, and I also saw him not being able to score when he got the ball in the low post with a defender between him and the basket. Hopefully, Payne sticks around at UF long enough for his game to fully develop. Kerry Blackshear stayed in college long enough to go from an average big man to an All-American level player. Payne might be able to do the same thing.

15. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I'd like to know how long some posters here have actually played the game as a post player versus submitting an encyclopedia of how right they were about former players. I can tell you I'm 34 and have spent a good 25 years as a post player. I know talent when it rolls around. Yes, Payne is more of a project than an immediate contributor. This should be known. When I saw Chris Walker my immediate reaction was why his highlights didn't include other more important areas of the game. Great leaper, but can he actually play the post position? I think Payne definitely can and will in time. When that body fills out and he gets the right coaching, we'll have quite a center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't worry about the criticism. I bet most want everyone's honest analysis. I definitely don't want fluff, the kind I heard before last year began. Keep bringing it.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    My only formal team basketball experience came during grades four and five and I didn't play in the low post. I don't attend the HS games of prospects and I didn't stay at at Holiday Inn Express last night. But here's what I want to know: O/U 8 min/game for Payne in '19-'20?

For reference, Bassett played 7.1/game as a freshman and 11.3/game as a soph. This year's front court, though, is deeper.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I'll go with over. You could slide him at the 4 in certain situations and not miss much. Will also get around 20 minutes per game in the games we're up big, hopefully lots of those.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I do eat Post cereals to this day. And I had a mad crush on Markie Post from Night Court as a kid. I have 2 post-graduate degrees. I frequent the post office from time to time. I'm too damn old to know who Post Malone is (don't think I'm missing much) but my kid mentions him from time to time (something about him not showering).
    With that said, I think Payne will be playing 15 min a game by SEC play as he will bury Bassett on the depth chart and Gak too unless he is legit healthy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Joakim was like that too. Played point guard as a kid and then shot up to 7'. He could still pass and handle and run at 7'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1