Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pat Forde encouraging Billy D to come back to college

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bogator, Jul 13, 2019.

1. bogator

bogator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Lists some of the same job openings that have been mentioned before. Includes Arizona, because of their impending NCAA troubles and the fact that job might be opening up soon. (Figured I’d mention that for some unknown reason )

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL

3. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I agree that Billy D is good for college basketball, but I would honestly be very shocked if that happened. No offense to SOS, but BD is my favorite Gator coach of all time. Not just due to winning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 Premium Member

I think the real test of Billy D's coaching will be what he is able to do with the slew of first round draft picks that are going to come his way in the next couple of years. I just hope OKC gives him time.

Does anyone have a good read on whether Billy is happy in OKC? I don't just mean with the organization but with the community.

5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. This is Billy’s opportunity to actually coach, instead of sitting back and watching Westbrook try to make plays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Could be a good opportunity for BD to perhaps list some of his issues with recruiting, as he saw it. What needs to change for him to return to college ball.

7. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Honest question. How much difference does a coach make in the NBA? Outside of say Larry Brown and maybe a couple others, how many coaches have been team builders? Phil Jackson won with Jordan and then with shaq/Kobe.

In the NFL guys like Marty schottenheimer and now Andy Reid have won in multiple places. Bill parcells was another. There are others as well.

College is littered with program builders but as far as the NBA goes is it more a talent issue than anything?

Just asking people's opinions

8. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Team building is the GMs job in the NBA. Coaching at that level is about putting your stars in a position to make plays and managing egos of your second tier players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm not a huge NBA guy, but I interact on another site with a bunch of people who are. They talk about this question a lot. The rough consensus seems to be that there are a small handful of top-notch coaches who genuinely move the needle, a smaller handful of awful coaches who hurt you and then a great mass of guys in the middle who don't really affect things very much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Pop is a great coach.
    What Clifford did in Orlando this season was impressive.
    Steve Kerr won with stars that Mark Jackson lost with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    As far as Steve Kerr goes I get it, especially coming from a Phil Jackson discipline but at the same time players mature over time. Did Jordan make Phil Jackson or did Phil Jackson maximize Jordan's potential? I want to say Jordan credits Phil a lot for what it's worth

12. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    I think Billy's return to college is imminent. Just wait till arizona opens up or unc or duke

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yeah, It is the age old chicken and egg. I think the Bulls probably win 3 or 4 regardless, but Phil helped them win 6

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think Billy D waits for Roy to retire at UNC or Coach K to retire from Duke. Perhaps even Coach Cal at Kentucky. Both are older coaches that will retire in next few years. Not leaving Thunder money on table.

15. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Coach Donovan succeeding Roy Williams would be kind of weird. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Freshman

Jul 16, 2019
    Billy will take the Duke job when Coach K retires.. He detests UNC and it's pompous and corrupt culture.

Perhaps then we can name the court for his legacy.

17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I would rather see him either restore a program like Indiana or make his own mark somewhere else than see him at any of Duke, UNC, Kentucky or Kansas...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can’t imagine him coaching anywhere in college but Florida so I would be beyond upset if he was at another program.

19. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can’t imagine him coaching anywhere in college but Florida so I would be beyond upset if he was at another program.