Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Parkland shooter to plead guilty

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8rjd, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Don't get me wrong I am probably more pro death penalty than anybody but my question after reading this thread is, where are all those posters who like to take it easy on thugs and violent criminals because of mental illness. Y'all don't think this guy is mentally ill? Maybe he was bullied.

2. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thats mitigation that is introduced at the penalty phase. We will see what it is if/when we get there.

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I personally lean toward determinism. Which implies that ultimately people can't help what they do. But the only way society can function (e.g. by punishing criminals) is to maintain the illusion of free will. Hence you do the crime, you do the time (or worse), and that's the way it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Personally, I don’t have a moral issue with the death penalty. I simply don’t trust such a final decision to a judicial system that been has shown plenty of times to be biased and corrupt. One innocent person being put to death is enough for me to throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I have a moral issue with the death penalty and a substantive problem with it as part of our punishment scheme for exactly the reason you point out about innocent death (among several other good reasons to oppose). I don't have a problem with those who believe the death penalty is morally justifiable, mainly because we humans naturally if reflexively want to see *harm* brought to those who do great harm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    One day, you and I will go rounds on this, I’m sure. Today is not that day. ;)

7. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I have no problem with the death penalty per se, heck line em all up for a group “photo” op.

That said, I am against it as a system because we spend far to many resources into the endeavors for how little it is used…. Then throw in the possibility of an innocent person… just not worth it. Ymmv

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm with George Carlin on the death penalty. Bring back crucifixions, beheadings and burning people at the stake. Do it on TV at halftime of Monday Night Football.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I am not opposed to the death penalty. I just think life in prison is worse than death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Danny Rolling

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I was hoping you would chime in on this, esp. because I value your opinion wrt the law and order aspect. As you acknowledge, your position is morally grounded. It seems apparent that the threshold for the DP should be raised. To your last point, I find the DP morally but also lawfully justifiable, not because of human nature, but because of prevention and deterrence. Those rationales have been abused in the justice system (I realize I'm preaching to the choir here), but in cases like Danny Rolling, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc. it's a slam dunk. As citizens, we should be entitled to protection from outwardly evil people, including the prevention of their ill impact on society in prison. Optimistically, DP has a deterrence/preventative effect. Would there be any way to validly and reliably measure that?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    The case just reminds me that several years after the Parkland shooting and absolutely no real national progress on limiting assault rifles that I am aware of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think mostly people on death row would disagree.

14. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Another straight up guilty plea btw.

15. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    This is one of those things that I have reversed course on in my lifetime.
    I used to be adamant in my support for the death penalty.
    Now I don’t trust the legal system enough to put anyone to death (except in rare cases). This may be one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    If there is one thing I know about liberals, is that they see color, the world to them isn’t as simple as black or white. They see the spectrum and as a result; they see Mr. Cruz as pure black. Whatever his environment; will never excuse his actions on that day. They are holding him responsible for his actions, they aren’t defending him.

It makes me proud.

17. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Wasn’t this also the school shooting incident where one of the on-campus cops was cited for being a coward and not responding like he should have according to the established police procedures? Whatever happened to that guy? I think he was formally charged for failing to do his job which may have resulted in additional deaths and injuries.

18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    LMGTFY.

Parkland shooting: Florida judge says case against former school resource officer Scot Peterson can go to trial - CNN

19. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I'm sure mutz will confirm or deny this, but it's my understanding that the Dp has been shown to have no, or perhaps no significant, effect on deterrence.

This combined with the fallibility of man makes it a non starter for me.

It's an ineffective, inaccurate, expensive, and irreparable tool that can only supply some measure of revenge.

And even that barely laudable objective is deeply flawed. It doesn't bring back the victims nor does it truly ease the suffering for survivors.

I'll shed no tears here, but I won't be cheering either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1