Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Parking for veterans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It’s mainly their insurance that is ridiculously good. They are also super, super customer friendly.

2. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    Meh, to each their own. I have USAA for car insurance now. I’ve gone back and forth between them and others (Geico, etc) over the years. No meaningful difference overall in service.

I also don’t need to be referred to by a rank, nor does my wife need to be told “wives serve too!” or some such marketing silliness. It’s just a job. USAA is just a bank.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, and they recently sold off all their money management and brokerage services. Not happy with them of late.

4. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Other than wait times, I believe people tend to be satisfied with the VA. My personal experience using for about 15 years is that other than the occasional longer wait, they were superb. Curious thing is, wait times for my current and past doctors through my employer plans are similarly long with my doc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Seems like a lot, maybe you are including co-pays.
    I think I pay around 550 a year for my family of four.
    Basically free compared to other option.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I was getting it as a reservist.

• Like Like x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I was with USAA for a while (son of my Dad retired O-4). Good company but you can beat their rates on insurance for sure. Did not fit our banking needs.

8. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Even the bad ass SEAL’s need support from somebody sitting in an air conditioned office pushing on a keyboard. To the subject at hand, I pass on the parking and Vet benefits even though I’ve earned them.

9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Used to work with a guy that had lost his leg, but refused to use a handicap sticker. I totally understood his logic.

On the other hand his son was on disability from the Navy but still was an owner operator of a lawn care business.

Truly handicapped and moms with a bunch of kids i can see getting a spot.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have no issue with these reserved spots. I’m sure they are easily abused. But then again, so are handicapped spots.

I was wonder if the zoo is going to start having “comfort animal” spots

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't really use USAA for banking but I've purchased auto insurance from them for over 40 years and have been very pleased with the quality of service. Very reasonable premiums and excellent claims processing. Also have homeowners through USAA.

12. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    I would highly encourage anyone that has a USAA auto insurance policy to compare rates with other companies at least once a year. I had USAA auto insurance for 12 or so years and checked it every year. USAA was never the cheapest but close enough that I went with them as I also bank there. Last year after checking, I was shocked at the difference in prices, with USAA being the highest one of all, and not even close. Nothing had changed on my end. Safe drivers with driver courses taken. Geico beat them by a mile. I called both to make sure I was comparing apples to apples and Geico was actually a better policy overall. I made the switch. Both our sons also had USAA auto insurance policy's and after checking, had the same results. Both changed.
    USAA tv adds are a myth to make you feel snug and secure in believing they are the cheapest and best. I can't state enough, Compare policy's and prices every year!!!!!
    Also not happy with my investments with them and am looking into changing those as well.

13. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    This. Those stupid Navy Federal ads are even worse.

14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s because private busineses are taking care of the latter, the government is responsible for the former. See a pattern?

• Like Like x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Government is doing the hard expensive stuff (not to mention creating more patients by sending people to war in the first place), and the private sector is doing really cheap inconsequential superficial niceties? Yeah, I've noticed.

16. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Mrs. King, my kindergarten teacher, yes. She was an angel personified, and a saint.
    Mrs. Miller, first grade teacher...may she park in hell!

17. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    The point is that the government part is really not that hard. Incompetent bureaucrats just make it look that way. There a many, many great VA facilities ( my father is in his late 80’a and utilizes one), but there are many that are not doing a good job. Finding these and fixing them is not hard and should not take this long.

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Doing healthcare is definitely harder than putting up a parking for veterans sign or letting veterans board a plane first lol. I don't think its the bureaucracy so much as its that we've been involved in endless wars for nearly 20 years (not to mention all the wars before that and soldiers requiring care). That creates a lot of people who need healthcare. Even an efficient bureaucracy can be overrun.

19. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    That would be a valid point if the issue was a shortage of facilities. There isnt. Most of the problems stem from poor management at the existing facilities.

20. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Home Depot 10% veteran discount does not apply to lumber, most plumbing, some tools and electrical.

Lowes 10% veteran discount is store wide.