Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Parking for veterans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I’d be ok with teachers too. Anyone who makes that little money to deal with everyone’s kids should get a front row spot for sure.

Further, I think able bodied men should have to park in the back when not with family.

2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    All I know is I finally got to use the expectant mother parking in front of Target the other day. Thanks wife, it was glorious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    I'm surprised there is this much discussion about this. Combat or not, do any of you know what it's like to go on a deployment that lasts 6-8 months? Oh and by the way, don't forget about qualifying your ship to begin with, couple weeks out at sea, 1 or two in for a couple months. Oh and by the way, we extended your deployment because some BS is happening in the ME. Oh and when you get back to port, lets go ahead and take a couple weeks to make sure we get everything off loaded and ready to be in port and possibly dry dock. Not to mention the many duty days you have away from your family each year. Sometimes this happens twice in a 4 year period while on sea duty. Im sure it's similar to other branches.

Point is, regardless of whether or not you actually see combat and regardless as to whether some think being in the military is a noble cause, a good majority of military personnel are going in knowing they are sacrificing a lot for their country. By the way, I'm not sure if any non-military person knows, even if a small percentage only see combat, that doesn't mean you aren't a target. Army and Marine posts have a ton of support personnel who don't see combat per se but do receive care packages from the enemy in the form of mortar shells. In a large scale war against someone with a decent Navy, ships are fair game and a prime target.

I think the sacrifices they sign up for are well worth a couple parking spots.....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Interesting issue. My late father-in-law had a disability rating from the VA as the result of an injury to his back in training accident. Although he experienced intermittent pain from the injury for the most part the it really didn't have a negative impact on his ability to function. Don't recall since it's been many years since he passed away but I don't think his disability was sufficient for him to qualify for a special DAV license plate. Just guessing, but the threshold to qualify for a special plate probably has to be a rating of well over 50% (think my FIL's rating was 30%).

5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The VA rating system is a complete mess. They will deny you a have condition that there is no test for simply to see if you come back and fight them on it.

6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I always park as far away as possible. I like my car with no scratches and dents

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    As a veteran I find it ridiculous. Seems like...what's the word I am looking for?...oh yeah...self serving. I have been a veteran now for 27 years and I find that it is very easy to walk from any parking space at any time of the day or night. Just leave the spaces for the disabled no matter what contribution they have done for America.

8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My father-in-law was a World War II era vet. Just a guess but the system is probably much more of a mess now than it was over 70 years ago.

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Healthy design incorporates premium parking spaces (shade, size) furthest from entry to encourage walking. Always laugh at people that circle the gym 3 times trying to get a closer spot.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Whole Foods has parking for parents with young kids. It does not say that they have to be with you. Loophole.

Was having dinner Sunday with some friends. 2 service related stories.
    1. the guy I was having dinner with had gone to Whole Foods with his 16 yo daughter & they would not sell him a six pack. They both had IDs that showed they had the same last name & address. Even getting the manager called over did not work.
    2. 2 couples. We split the check. P did not have a drink cuz he was driving, so I said I'd get the tip. I tipped slightly more than 20% on so so service. We were on the sidewalk saying our goodbyes when the waitress storms out & in front of other people sez, what, so there's no tip tonight? Making matters dumber she had both receipts in her hand. After pointing this out, no sorry. Just, Well, it's been a day! P goes in & asks for the manager....they say they are all managers. That org structure explains a lot.

So my wife's economic indicator is saying that our economy is booming! Her indicator sez that when employment is booming you get crappier service for 2 reasons.
    1. firms have to start hiring off the bottom of the barrel
    2. people ain't too worried about being fired

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Interesting, so would you look down on a vet that took a self-serving parking spot because he/she selflessly served their country? How do you even know this spot took up a disabled spot?

12. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    According to Donald, banging lots of chicks and not getting STDs is the same as serving in Vietnam, so I think I'm qualified. I just pull right up into those spots.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Same. It's also easy way to just get some extra steps in on the day

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Best friend is out after 30 years Navy, retired as a CMC, has like a 85% rating due to normal wear and tear, including a cervical fusion. He currently is working at a surf resort in Indonesia surfing 6+hours a day.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Both of your questions make zero sense. My point is the STORE is being self serving by placing the sign and that special parking spaces should only be for the disabled. How could you find controversy in that?

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    My apologies then, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant that a military person would be self-serving by using it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Sometimes I use the "parking for parents of small children" spot...even if my kids are at home.
    It does not say they have to be with me. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I have no issue with the veteran parking. it is not enforceable as there is no statute attached. It is a nice gesture though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. USAFColonel

USAFColonel All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Southwestern Illinois
    This is not quite right. If someone is separated from the military because they can no longer serve due to a medical condition suffered while on active duty, they are medically retired and receive benefits.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If that's what they want to do, so be it. I wouldn't use it.

• Winner Winner x 1