Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Papa John's Founder Quits As Chairman After Using Racial Slur During Conference Call

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 12, 2018.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Disagree.

The only time it is acceptable is quoting rap lyrics. And I'm mostly serious.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Masterfully played :D

Are your real initials SOS?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

We are going to have separate rules for whites and blacks now?

Black coach used the word in front of me last month when talking about a white kid who got suspended for calling a black kid that. He used the alternative pronunciation with gas instead of gers.

4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The "N" word is not ok for ANYONE to use anytime, under any circumstances ever. No separate rules here.

Or are we going with the "that guy did it so now it's ok for me to do it too" elementary school level nonsense?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I would think it depends on the context. I mean I would say yes with comedians/hollywood, even a white comedian depending on the joke. Quentin Tarantino seems to get away with it in his movies.

But then we have this guy to show where it can go wrong:

[​IMG]

Wait, was that supposed to be a joke? 50 years ago, sounds awfully similar to Mr. "not a racist" Papa John. Of course Richards expounded a little further.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There are white people who use it among themselves with regularity. Within their circle it's appropriate as far as they're concerned. But outside the circle they have to resort to hypocrisy and even desperation. I once had a black boss in the Dept of Corrections (where you could probably find more racists than in other agencies combined), and a couple of white co-workers and I were sitting in the outer office talking. One of them casually used the n-word, then realized that the door to the boss's office was open. The guy anxiously whispered, "Do you think he heard me?" It was both amusing and pathetic. Racism involves truly cowardly behavior.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    If using the N word makes a person a racists then 90% + of the black population is racist.

Should the use of the term honkey or whitey subject those speakers to the same sort of public rebuke?

8. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    That blacks use the n-word is to take ownership. The power difference that has defined race relations between blacks and whites, which has subjected blacks to a wide array of discrimination and mistreatment, to include terminology that sought to demean them and control them is why taking ownership over the word (informally, of course since no one actually owns the word) is not "racist." It's a reaction to being the object of racism and discrimination--often through the use of the n-pejorative.

The terms honkey or whitey or cracker don't have the same power because there isn't a long ugly history of racial oppression and discrimination tied to them. If you asked whether all of us should basically stop using such words, as a general rule, in order to improve relations and the quality of language, I think most would agree, at least older folk as they leave their teens and twenties. But if you are asking from a place of resentment over differences in perceptions, well then, I'd say consider that history and why, for instance, calling a black person the n word would cut like a knife but the same would not be true if a white person is called honkey. History matters.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Are a lot of black CEOs calling people honkeys in conference calls? This doesnt seem to be much of an issue.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Tarantino is a closet racist. He revels in the freedom to use the word.

11. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Yeah, in general if you are quoting something, citing a title of a song/book/work of art, etc its totally acceptable.

12. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I think he's almost worse than a racist, he's one of those annoying white dudes who thinks they are so down with black culture they have a pass on any kind of racial stupidity. But really maybe that's just another side of "white privilege" or racism or whatever you want to call it.

13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I know one line from rap lyrics. It embedded itself in my mind because I couldn't believe that something like that was being openly marketed as music. The n-word couldn't even touch it.

14. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I agree but if you are traveling you really dont want that 10th pizza.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Cultural mores, context, and even the person saying the word all come into play in the public's decision of whether it is sorta OK or should be avoided at all costs and condemned. Such a complex landscape to navigate through, I advise against its use at all. I do remember a song by John Lennon, the title of which is: "A Woman is the N***** of the world. He wrote it, he sang it and he didn't get into cultural trouble about it (as I recall) and here I am afraid to even type it out.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I wish comedians could use the term but non AAs cant. I really think his statement wasnt that bad. It was boneheaded and stupid to say but wasnt that bad.

17. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    A comedian could use it, I just think it would have to be done in the right way. But that's true of using the word in general.

18. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm guessing you either don't listen to rap music or are vociferously opposed to it then.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    If you grew up in a heavily populated minority inner city environment you might understand how incorrect your post is.

20. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    IQ has nothing to do with bigotry and hatred.

What I find interesting is it seems Chistians are still fair game.