Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Palmetto Recruits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by florida72, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It may not affect Miami quite as much, but the problem with having a Ron Zook type coach is that once he is canned, which is inevitable, he has been so hands on, based on personal relationships, in recruiting that the fall off in recruiting can be devastating when he leaves, and then there are no veterans on the team that have a winning mentality for the new coach to get to buy in for winning immediately with top recruits, unless the coach is someone who commands their respect. Meyer was one of those coaches. Miami can't buy someone like that. My recollection is that Zook was well on the way to a monumental class when he was canned, and Meyer had probably the worst first recruiting class at UF for decades. Probably didn't help that he played the bowl game instead of recruiting. My recollection is that Meyer had to recruit a lot of great players from outside of Florida at first to build some great recruiting classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm confused as to what Brashard smith from palmetto high in miami has to do with Langston from Ocala? I mean if you were talking about Leonard Taylor, Corey collier, or Marshall or any of the palmetto five I would get it but I'm not sure how those two are connected and why Langston would base his college career on a slot receiver from miami.

3. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When Zook took over, the Gators were a household name. The previous 12 seasons, the Gators finished (from 1990) with rankings of #13, #7, #10, #5, #7, #2, #1, #4, #5, #12, #10, and #3. That's an average of a top-10 ranking.

Zook was a pretty good recruiter, but he was taking over a consistently great program.

To contrast that, over the past 15 seasons Miami, averaged over 5 losses every year and finished NOT RANKED in 12 seasons. BTW, in the other seasons they were ranked, they finished #13, #20, #19 and #17. So even when they were good, they were not a top-10 team. They have lost 9 out of their 10 bowl games.

Yeah, Florida just had back-to-back top-10 seasons. Miami has to go back 17 years before they did that. Most of these recruits were not even alive when that happened. Think about that one.

What Miami has been doing is a tremendous smoke-and-mirrors campaign. I don't think the two situations are comparable. Zook took advantage of recent history. Diaz is taking advantage of ancient history.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Their classes always look good now and fall apart as the season goes. South beach sounds fun till you realize you’ll never win shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Agree with you that the two situations are completely different in context. My point was about the type of recruiter, not results of recruiting or the difficulty of recruiting at a particular school.

6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    We'll see. I'm not denying that hasn't happened in the past, but i'm just pointing out that i don't expect that to continue. Hell i would hope it does, i'm just not going to "well it happened last year, it'll happen again". The schedule this year isn't tough, they've upgraded at QB and OL, two places they struggled with last year, and Lashlee just had to be better than that idiot Enos they had as OC last year. Oddly though, despite saying all of those, they may get hosed out of a possible 10 win season if the Power 5 conferences go to a modified schedule. They had layups vs Temple, Wagner, and UAB to open the season. Imagine if they have to swap it out for Clemson, and SEC school (Florida?), and saaaaay Louisville/Syracuse. Im just throwing names out there. Idk what the heck is gonna happen

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    It would be devastating... but it’s not going to happen. Not saying it won’t be disappointing but worse case scenario won’t be a shutout. The staff knows that would mean from a perception standpoint.

I still think we end up with 2+

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    I always get a kick out of athletes/people referring to Miami and south beach interchangeably. Started with lebron. It takes like an hour to get to south beach from coral gables. It’s also full of international tourists. But I guess their stadium is also an hour away so it’s all relative. Like saying I want to go to usc bc I love manhattan beach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. swamp_made

swamp_made Junior

Apr 17, 2020

I dont think not having an on campus hurt them because all there students get shuttled free to the game for free. Coral gable is located in an area where kids can go have fun close by. Broward and Dade county is full of night life among other things. I live there so i know. yes corral gables is not a college town but theirs a lot more around it. South Beach is more like 30 Mins.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Gainesville is an hour away from anywhere I’d like to be. I’ve never lived more than ten minutes from salt. An hour isn’t so bad for a weekend when it’s not one of twelve weekends a year. That said, I can’t stand Miami.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Didnt we just sack the Miami QB again?...Troy Smith says hello.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good one.

13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Miami QB's sacked 10 times... OSU's Troy Smith sacked 5...maybe Diaz can sell that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    what miami is doing is winning the culture battle with south Florida recruits. All they have is their culture, the nostalgia of what they used to be. They lose their culture and what it means to people and they’re done

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What culture?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    The "swag" culture. You saw it heavy in 2017 for about 10 games then Pitt put an end to all of that

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. g0ggles

g0ggles Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    Miami is always gonna get a few highly rated prospects. Location, lore, throw a few aging NFL hall of famers... a young recruit from that area will bite. With all that said.... I am in no way concerned about the 'ewes' recruiting. Once the games get played... and they suffer thru another mediocre season. We'll show up to take what we want

18. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good information. Do you wonder if our coaches share this as part of their process? It would matter to me if I were an overly exuberant misinformed recruit. Oh well.

19. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    The culture of the program in the early 2000’s. They’re desperate holding on.

20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Like Tae right??

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.