Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Palmetto Recruits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by florida72, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The recruits have TV and social media too, they've seen how godawful that program has been and they saw how putrid they looked last season and they know Manny Diaz is on the hot seat and they watched us beat Miami in an ugly game last year. They simply don't care and want to stay home and in this climate I'm sure more kids want to stay near their families with all the uncertainty going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Franks consistently made awful decisions in the Miami game...if he played like the end of the prior year we would be 9-3...maybe better. If he played like he did against UM I doubt we make it to 8-4. The guys field performance reminded me of a certain ex-Buc Qb...three great plays and just an AWFUL headscratcher you just cant recover from.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    We still lose to LSU and UGA with Feleipe but would have beaten anyone else imo

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Franks was leading us to victory against Kentucky to start the 4th quarter 21-10 and Kyle took over for mop up duties.

Just kidding. Flip that. Kentucky had completely shut down Franks and he was making poor decisions down the stretch. He improvised on the play that he got injured on.

In one quarter, Kyle took over and understood what Franks hadn't, against Kentucky. Do you honestly think he would have done better against other teams?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    Feleipe was a better QB, with Mullen working with him. the Thing I believe you might have over-looked is the lack of a consistent running game last year, versus the benefit Feleipe had the year before of having a consistent running game. It took an enormous amount of pressure off Feliepe having a running game the year before, it allowed the passing attack to simply bring balance to the offense. We had seen a peek of that against Miami last year, and then it really raised its ugly head against Kentucky.......Feleipe's achilles heel was his inability to be the kind of QB that could take up the slack in a offense that couldn't consistently run by instead using his arm. Not because he lacked anything physically.....he was in fact as gift as any physically as a QB, the issue was the intangible miss-firing that took place in the space between his ears.

Trask made Florida a team that could compete against Top 15 teams, and win against teams Florida should have beaten........despite not having a running attack he could count on. I don't believe you could have said the about Feliepe with the limitations the offense had last year.

Having said that, I will add that if we have a season this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jones has continued to grow as a QB. To see him seriously challenge Trask for playing time, if not possibly unseat him as a starter.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We may have pulled that Kentucky game out with Franks

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    I doubt it that we would had won the Kentucky game with Franks as the QB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Exactly!!’

9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Franks was solid that game, we just couldn't finish drives.

Int (REALLY dumb int)
    TD
    Sack fumble (Delance)
    Missed fg (franks td run called back)
    FG
    Injury

It wasn't like Franks and the O weren't moving the ball, we just killed ourselves.

Doesnt matter now anyways, but just my opinion. Not saying we would have won that had Franks stayed injury free, but i won't say definitively we were gonna lose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Completely agree.

But the offense simply moved much better with Trask.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask will likely be the starter all season, but EJ is indeed going to get more PT because he'll add the missing dimension to this offense that will help out the OL. By mid season, I won't be surprised if EJ is in nearly every series and is very effective in his role.

12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask was absolutely the antidote for that particular OL. FF wasn't suited to run what ended up being a quasi-Air Raid attack because of that glaring deficiency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep, both were in offenses that suited their skill set. What we needed out of Franks last year, deep passing and the ability to run helped in 2018 but couldn't in 2019 bc of the OL.

All in all credit to Mullen for being able to adjust on the fly this past season and not be stubborn (except bringing Emory in against LSU in the 3rd quarter when Kyle was COOKING).

Cant wait to see how the O looks in 2021 when he has a true DT quarterback

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too true. ScUM is always going to hold SoFL. It hasn't and won't ever change.

"Logic" of W/Ls and other reasonable factors aren't a big part of the draw for kids down there. They've got their niche and no one else is going to topple that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep and like i said, people not grasping that Miami's DEFENSE isn't an issue, it's the offense so if Marshall, Taylor, Williams, etc commit there, they're as good as gone from decommiting/flipping. If the O shows signs of life this season, i can see em flippin Garcia from USC. If Diaz IS their Ron Zook (or Muschamp), he's setting things up nicely for their next coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    We were on our way to loss number against Kentucky already. No way we win that with Franks. Also I think what people forget is that we were still TRYING to have a traditional running game against Miami. We abandoned that later on. Florida of mid season would have handled Miami much better for that reason alone in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    We were on our way to a loss against UK just like we were on our way to a loss against USCe in 2018 right?

19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe out of necessity because our run game stagnates. It’s fair to say we are one dimensional woth Trask in and a less than mediocre run game. But I’m not sure JJ is ready. Some people like him but I was not impressed although was glad he was getting experience. Trask amd a strong run game would be ideal but that’s not likely so who knows what Mullen will do.

20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, we could have won it with Franks but we definitely won it with Trask.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.